Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

OS League T. TH - KcJs - should I have folded?

Old
OS League T. TH - KcJs - should I have folded? - Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain unkonwn

Despite the end result was this fold an intelligent fold or considering the stakes should I have limped to the river?

I guess I should really have some information about the villain after the length of time I have been in this tournament?

I have only just started playing poker so it's all quite new. Do you tend to keep information about the other players in your head or do you write down certain things they do through out the game? Getting a clear picture of each player is currently just going out the window with everything else I am trying to focus on.

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum since member has a question on how to play a torunament hand JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Takamino!

Note taking on opponents and their play style is definitely something that I do and would encourage anyone else to do also. Here is a link to a training video by Dave (TheLangolier) on effective note taking. Especially with this being a league game, the more games that a player is in, the more they will see the same players over and over, so notes will be a big help.

With this being a league game, the one and only thing that I'm concerned about is to be able to last as long as possible, in order to accumulate more and more league points for the monthly standings. Due to this, I want to take as few chances as possible and to not play anything except premium hands, unless I'm in the BB and can see a flop for free.

With KJo from mid position, I'm going to muck this preflop. There are too many players behind me that are left to act that could raise or have me dominated with AJ, AK or a pocket pair.

If I did get involved in the hand, I want to make my standard opening raise, which for this blind level is to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper for me. Due to this, I'll raise to 4400.

I flop top pair, 2nd kicker on on a board with many straight draws and also a club flush draw with 4 opps. When it's checked to me, I'm going to make a value bet here with top pair and size the bet at a pot-sized bet (23800). There are too many opps in the hand to price everyone out for a draw, so I want to get value for my pair and price out as many of them as possible. By making a smaller bet, I give anyone that wants to stay, the correct odds to draw and I do not want to be building a pot where the opps expect to gain chips, instead of me expecting to gain chips from it.

The board pairs the turn and here is where I have to make a decision. With the opp calling a preflop raise to 2.2BB, then a pot sized c-bet on the flop, I'm just going to check the turn. If I did bet, with two opps still in, I'd have to make a 3/4 pot bet to price them out for a draw..... IF.. I'm ahead in the hand. Anyone with a 4 is now ahead and A4 (or 2 pair or a set) is definitely within the opp's range. I don't want to make a smaller bet here, as the bet won't really accomplish anything other than to tell the opps that I have a vulnerable weak hand. When betting after the flop, bet sizes need to be in relation to the size of the pot to have any viable meaning.
When I get raised, then I'm going to fold my marginal made hand here.

When playing a hand, I want to tell a consistant story with it. My raise preflop says that I have a strong hand. My continuation bet on the flop will back that up. A min bet on the turn into a 20BB pot now says that my hand is weak. This is not consistant to the rest of the way the hand has played out, so if I saw an opp do this, I would raise them whether I have a hand or not... as if their hand is weak, they will not be able to call my raise, especially being out of position to me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I had a long rambly post written up, but the short version is fold preflop, check/fold flop. I know it sounds nitty but think about it. You're in a 5-way hand, you're unlikely to make it to showdown with the best hand, and there are really no great turn cards. Any new card bigger than a 6 can complete some straight, a flush draw is definitely quite possible (although a club on the turn does give you a big flush draw), and you might be behind already vs. a set/two pair/AJ. You still have a nice stack and there's almost no way a continuation bet will take this pot down.

Old
Sat Sep 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi John,

Just to advise you that the video you have linked to goes haywire after 26 minutes, skipping two to three minutes ahead every couple of seconds and then running again normally near the very end of the video. I have reported this in the past but it has not been addressed.

I have tried moving to beyond the 26 minute part after the video is loaded but that does not work either.

Thanks,

TC

Old
Sun Sep 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hi John,
Just to advise you that the video you have linked to goes haywire after 26 minutes, skipping two to three minutes ahead every couple of seconds and then running again normally near the very end of the video.
TC
Hi Tony, I'll let Dave know.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Hi TC,

I've watched the video well beyond the 26 min mark, and another mod has as well, it worked fine for both of us.

Thanks,
Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi TC,

I've watched the video well beyond the 26 min mark, and another mod has as well, it worked fine for both of us.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I have run it several times and it did not work. Saying it worked fine for you and another mod does not address the issue and indeed implies that the fault is from my end or that I am making this up or something

I can assure you that a video racing at 100mph is not a setup or pc configuration issue from my end, it has something to do with the PSO side of things.

I am running it at this very minute yet again from the start to see if it goes past the 26 minute part to see if it is working now.

Do you really believe that I would say it was not working just for the fun of it?

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sun Sep 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
(#9)
I have just run it again and it has now passed the 30 minute mark without issue.

Cheers,

TC

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com