Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder

Old
bankroll builder - Wed Oct 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Hi guys,
I have already completed the basics course, just wondering if i still qualify for the $2 ($8) promotion.
If so, please advise where to from here.
Cheers

Old
Wed Oct 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi micxter,

Hello and Welcome,

We'll be able to let you know if your eligible within the next 24 hours.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 12:12 PM
(#4)

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:44 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter!

The first recommendation that I'd make is to always buy into a table for the maximum value allowable. This way my stack size does not have to be an influence in how I play the hand... and it will also allow me to win more when I get a monster hand.

With Q7s on the button, I could either limp behind or to make a standard raise (3BB+1BB for each limper, which in this case would be to 5BB or 400). I get to play the hand in position from the button, which is a very large advantage. If I was out of position, then Q7s would be a fold for me.

The flop gives me bottom two pair. With a possible straight draw available, when the four opps check, I want to make a value bet for my two pair that will accomplish three things.
1) get value for my hand that is most likely the best hand
2) thin the field by getting some opps to fold
3) make anyone that wants to draw to beat me have a -EV draw (negative expected value)

In this situation, with 4 opps, I'm going to up my normal value bet (1/2 pot) to a full pot-sized bet. I need to do this due to the high number of players in the pot and the available draws. So, I will bet 400. Betting lower here will allow any opp that has J 10, for an open-ended straight draw, have the correct pot-odds to draw to beat me.

The turn now brings a flush draw into play. I now have only two opps, so making a value bet that can price the opps out is much easier. To accomplish this, I need to bet 3/4 the size of the pot (660 chips). Any bet lower than this allows the opps to put chips into the pot where they expect to GAIN chips from their draw. I want to be making my bets so that the opps expect to LOSE chips from drawing.

Unfortuantely, the opp hits their draw on the river. When I have a made hand, I want to have the opps call a -EV bet. If they do, then I will expect to gain chips from their calls every time on average. They will however, a given % of the time, hit their draw and win chips from me... but... in this scenario, over time, the opp will lose chips to me.

The other thing that I try to do is to keep all of my bets standard. I'll make the same preflop raises regardless of the cards that I'm holding. This helps to keep the opps guessing as to the cards that I'm holding. Preflop, I'll use 3BB+1BB for each limper. Post-flop, I'll use 1/2 the size of the pot (but will up it to 2/3, 3/4 or a full pot-sized bet based on the number of opps and the board texture) and all of my bets are based on the size of the pot. The less in the pot and the drier the board is... the less I can bet and accomplish the same thing (a -EV draw for the opponent).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter!

Now it's time to study the Poker Basics course and after you've studied it, try to pass the quiz.

Once you've passed it we'll award you your first buy-in of $2 and continue on from there.

Please let me know when you do this.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 06:57 PM
(#7)
thanks for the tips.
I have alreadt\y completed the basics quiz prior to this thread.
cheers

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter!

Your first $2 buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first $2 buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this $2.

Also, please attend an 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training session. This should help too.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 02:33 AM
(#9)
hi,
as advised I have played on the 1/2 tables and managed to squander my generous $2 allowance.
I have since passed the cash table section and passed the test- can i have another serving of the $2 please?
cheers

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter!

Please provide the hands that you had problems in and lost the money with.

Also, did you attend the live training session?

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
hands - Sun Oct 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
(#11)
John,
I havent recorded any of those hands unfortunately. Then I went on to lose the remainder of the money on some sit&go tournaments. I was tryiong to go back on to the cash tables, but i think by then my bankroll was insufficient.
Anyhow, please advise how i can proceed, plus which live session i need to attend.
Cheers

Old
hands - Sun Oct 07, 2012, 06:41 PM
(#12)
John,
I havent recorded any of those hands unfortunately. Then I went on to lose the remainder of the money on some sit&go tournaments. I was tryiong to go back on to the cash tables, but i think by then my bankroll was insufficient.
Anyhow, please advise how i can proceed, plus which live session i need to attend.
Cheers

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter!

All hand histories can be obtained from support thru the client. Requests, then hand history.

However, as it was clearly stated in post 8 in this thread... the buy-in's from this promotion can ONLY be used for 1/2 cent cash tables.

Playing any other level or game with these buy-ins disqualifies a member from all subsequent buy-ins.

This is the quote from the Bankroll Builder page per post 3.
"** Buy-ins may only be used at the $0.01/$0.02 no limit Texas hold'em tables in order to be eligible to receive additional promotional funds."

Since you were playing sit & go's with the money, you have disqualified yourself from any additional buy-ins through this promotion.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 02:06 AM
(#14)
John,
Terribly sorry to have transgressed the rules of the promotion, I mustve misunderstood some of the instructions. My bad. Is there any way to salvage my participation in the bankroll builder, or is it all lost now?
I would appreciate any guidance and tips in this regard.
Thanks,
Micxter

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 06:33 PM
(#15)

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 06:40 PM
(#16)

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 06:42 PM
(#17)

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 06:46 PM
(#18)
Please advise on how to proceed from here.
Cheers

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
(#19)
(Head Trainer)
Hi micxter,

Q2 - Raise or fold on the button, never limp garbage here. If the blinds are tight raising is fine, otherwise jsut fold preflop imo. Post flop bluffs are no good here in general, you have to bet more than the minimum on the flop to try it and you're against 2 probable loose players so they aren't good bluff targets anyway. Turn I would give up, they both called the flop, not likely to get them off of any made hands now.

K9 - I think your play here is fine, definitely like betting the flop, and also taking a bet-fold line on the turn out of position since a lot of his calling range includes worse 9's. Might actually bet-fold the river as well vs. a loose caller, but as played check and fold to a big bet is fine too.

A6 - fold preflop... you're out of position facing a raise in a 3 way pot, it's not profitable to play weak aces in spots like this without significant opponent reads, and maybe not even then in many cases. Definitely would continue on the flop with top/top like you did, no problem there. On the turn however just fold to his 2nd barrel. Part of continuing on the flop is that the guy can have a fair bit of draws in his range (flush draws and some straight draws like 78s) and some random unpaired stabs simply because you both checked to him. However when he barrels the turn you're unlikely to be good any more... the random stabs probably shut down a lot since your check/call can look like a draw, the turn card improves a lot of the drawing hands. So when he barrels the turn he quite often has just gotten there on the turn, or was there already, putting 6's in bad equity shape vs. his turn barreling range.

Hope this helps

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 02:22 PM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi micxter!

Did you attend the 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training session? If not, please let me know when you do.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com