Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 9max: Slowplaying ?

Old
2NL 9max: Slowplaying ? - Wed Oct 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi
This flop looked like a very wet one. But I think that if I wasn't beat already (KT). The villain would have very few outs. Should I consider slowplaying ?

Old
Wed Oct 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
I wouldn't slow play this hand ever, a lot of worse hands can call, Ax hands, hands like QT, JT, some K combinations, worse 2 pair hands.

You can get value if you bet here that you would otherwise lose by checking behind, at 2NL the only time i ever slow play is with the absolute nuts against a very aggressive opponent that I know is going to do my betting for me, only slow play if you know money is still going to go in from worse hands.

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 02:36 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
I agree with craig on both points. Don't slow play this hand and and don't slowplay in general at this level.

There is one important thing to notice with this hand in particular. You are in position and last to act. If you "slowplay" the flop you are giving up any and all opportunity of increasing the pot on this street while you are presumably ahead. Furthermore, the board is coordinated and your hand isn't that strong. By slowplaying you are just giving the villian a free card that might crush your hand.

Had you been out of position against an aggressive player, then "slowplaying" with a check-raise, or check-call with the intention of betting the turn might be good.

I ought to mention that I rarely, if ever, slowplay. For example, I had AA last night at 5NL ZOOM and flopped quads. I still fired out a c-bet.

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

I agree completely, generally never slow play a spot like this. There are plenty of worse hands that can give us action, including Ax and KQ, QJ, QT, JT. A K, Q, or T rolling off could beat us or if not, kill our action anyway.

The only way I would slow play this is if the potential gain clearly outweighed these risks... like in the case where the villain limp calls a lot of weak holdings (and thus has a ton of air in his range on this board) and is also a big bluffer (and a check-behind might well induce 2 streets of bluff value from all that air).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com