Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bluffboy Bankroll Builder

Old
Wink
Bluffboy Bankroll Builder - Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Hi Sirs/Ma'ams,

I've already passed the Basic Assessment and Single Table Tourneys and would like to know if I'm still eligible. I haven't made any deposits yet but has already won PokerSchool Open League once before. Thanks so much!

Regards,

Old
Thu Oct 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi bluffboy26,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline.

We'll advise within the next 24 hours if your eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion.

In the mean time feel free to browse www.pokerschoolonline.com. >>click here<< for a complete overview of what PokerSchoolOnline has to offer.

Thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline and best of luck to you at the tables!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffboy26 View Post
Hi Sirs/Ma'ams,
I've already passed the Basic Assessment and Single Table Tourneys and would like to know if I'm still eligible. I haven't made any deposits yet but has already won PokerSchool Open League once before. Thanks so much!
Regards,
Hi bluffboy26,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practising on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about using the hand replayer. Here is a link to the instructions for the replayer.

Best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 05, 2012, 09:51 PM
(#4)
Hi royalraise,

Here's one of the hands I had trouble with.. I had AJ off suit and raised 4 x BB under the gun.. Then everyone called.. Lastly, the last player raised all in and I thought twice before I called then I finally did. I was wondering if I should've folded my hand thanks!

Old
Fri Oct 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi bluffboy26!

With AJo from middle position, if I'm playing the hand, I want to raise and I will make my standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 4BB or 240.

There are 2 callers and then the BB shoves. Now, I need to see if calling is worth the risk or not. I need to call 1300 chips into a pot that will be 3410. This means my pot equity is 1300/3410 = 38.1%.
Now, I need to determine whether or not my AJo has 38.1% equity. If it's worth more than 38.1%, I'll call... if not, I'll fold.
Here is where a read on the opps is critical information. I need to know whether the players are loose or tight. Since I don't have this info, nor do I know whether I will be against 1, 2 or 3 opps, I'll run a few scenarios in pokerstove. The link is to a recording of a live training session on using pokerstove.

If against 3 opps that will play any 2 cards (normally not the case), I have 35.3% equity... so it's a fold.
If against three tighter opps, my equity drops to 24.7%.. another fold.
This means that I should fold anytime that I would think the two opps behind me would call.

If against 2 loose opps, I'm at 39.4%, which is a marginal call. If the two opps are tight, my hand is worth 34.9%, which is a fold. Without read info on the opps, I'll tend to be on the conservative side here, so I will also fold.

If I'm only against the original opp that shoves, then if they are loose, my hand is worth 55%, so it is a call. If they are tight, my hand is worth 43.4%, which would also be a call.

From this, if I can guarantee that the two opps behind me will fold, I want to call with AJ here. If either or both of the opps behind me could call, then I want to fold.
In most instances, since I don't know if the opps will call or fold, I'm going to muck and look for a better spot to get my chips into.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 12:06 AM
(#6)
Hi JWK24,

Great insights!

Thank you so much! I was actually studying the raiser here and he just came from a bad beat so I would think that he would raise with any hand, since he's eager to get the chips he lost. I called it this time even though I have off suit AJ which normally I will fold with tighter players (I can call if I'm the big stack though) I think it's a good enough hand to call provided that I have a big chip lead. I've already registered in the Getting Started with PokerStars and will let you know if I already watched it Thanks again!

Regards,

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
(#7)
I've now attended the Getting Started with Poker Live Training. Now what comes next? Thanks!

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 05:28 AM
(#8)
HI Mods,

Done participating in the Getting Started with Pokerstars with ahar10. What do I need to do next?

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 07:32 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
HI Mods,
Done participating in the Getting Started with Pokerstars with ahar10. What do I need to do next?
Hi bluffboy26,

Thanks and we can confirm that you did indeed attend the session with Andy this Morning.

Next up we'd like you to study the Poker Basic course. Spend some time studying it and let all the information there sink in.

In a couple of days when you feel you're ready have a go at attempting the Basic Assessment quiz. Once you pass this let us know and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 09:14 AM
(#10)
I tried taking the Basic Assessment Quiz but I got the error that I have already passed the test and bonus cannot be assigned twice. What do I need to do after?

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I tried taking the Basic Assessment Quiz but I got the error that I have already passed the test and bonus cannot be assigned twice. What do I need to do after?
If you've already passed the quiz then you should receive your bonus within the next 24 hours.

Let me know when you receive it and we'll continue from there.

Raiser

It's also good to do a refresher of the content of the course anyway, regardless if you've already passed the course.

For example, can you tell me what is the best playing style for a beginner to adopt?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
(#12)
A tight player will be the best playing style a beginner can adopt, is that correct?

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 12:10 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
A tight player will be the best playing style a beginner can adopt, is that correct?
That's right!

Tight-aggressive is the best way for a beginner to play, so here's a definition of "tight" and a definition of "aggressive" and how the two combine.

Your first buy-in is on it's way to you, let me know when you receive it!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 05:34 PM
(#14)
Yes, I finally received it! Thanks so much! Where do we go from here?

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 04:42 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Yes, I finally received it! Thanks so much! Where do we go from here?
Good stuff!

Use this first buy-in to play the 1/2 cent fullring cash game tables only. For now, do not play other formats or limits as this may make you ineligible for further bonuses.

Post any hands that have caused you problems, or have cost you money here for review using the Hand Replayer.

Also we would like you to attend the 'Introduction to Bet Sizing' Live Training session which are scheduled daily.

Let me know when you have done this and we will continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 03:33 AM
(#16)
Hi idols,

I need help in my hand below.. I think I played it wrong by slow playing the flop with 7's.. Please advise

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 05:36 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi bluffboy26,

Thanks for posting!

I'll get one of the Hand Analysers to look at this for you. Once he does this we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 03:39 PM
(#18)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi bluffboy

I think you were right to check and call the flop bet from your opponent. He raised from under the gun and therefore can have some very strong hands including all the better pocket pairs than yours. If we check and call we can potentially get him to bluff a turn with his two over type hands, that is AT-AK, KQ, KJ, QJ. On the turn I would be pretty tempted to fold, this is a scare card for good reason -- it hits a lot of his hands that missed the flop. If we view this player as an aggressive one we can check and call and see what he does on the river.

So I wouldn't count your turn check-call as a mistake necessarily, if it is, it is a small one.

On the river our situation has changed fairly drastically, we now have an opponent who has a) opened under the gun and b) fired all three streets. This makes our lowly pair of sevens quite a marginal holding and I would not expect him to bluff with a hand like AQ/AJ, I would expect him to give up with these hands. So tough luck on the turn card as our opponent passed us, but if we raise we are going to get action from all the better hands on the flop and none of the worse ones. Definitely try to look for spots like this where we can fold the river next time.

Old
Wed Oct 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi bluffboy26,

Now it's time to earn that next buy-in.

Please attend the 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' Live training session. These can be found daily in the Live TRaining section.

Also, study the Cash Game course and when you feel you are ready have a go at taking the Cash Game quiz.

Let me know once you've done both these things.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com