Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Baseball's 1st Triple Crown winner since 1967

Old
Baseball's 1st Triple Crown winner since 1967 - Thu Oct 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers has just done something that hasn't been done in baseball in 45 years, he won the Triple Crown. This includes leading the AL in Batting average, Home Runs, and RBIs.

THE MAN IS A MACHINE!

Old
Fri Oct 05, 2012, 01:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
What's even more impressive IMO is that Miggy is a player who is NOT ever going to leg out a grounder for a hit. And he's playing half his games in a pitcher's park. Dude is a line drive machine. I really always felt that the sticking point for him ever winning a Triple Crown would be that he's too good a hitter to pile up enough homers to do it,as he really focuses on getting on top of the ball and hitting it hard from gap to gap. Also a lot of baseball experts and hardcore fans (I'm in the latter group...) have opined that the possibility of another Triple Crown was remote due to the increased use of bullpens and "specialization" to get certain match-ups with your relief pitchers.

Don't sleep on him getting serious protection behind him when the Tigers added Prince Fielder to the mix. Kind of hard to pitch around Cabrera to get to Prince (and if I'M your first basemen and you're sticking me on the bag,holding a runner on with Prince taking his hacks 90' down the line from me...well I would be punching my pitchers square in the nuts for that...).

Interesting on how these things go...Miggy is the first since Yazstremski for the BoSox in '67,but just the year before Frank Robinson pulled it off for the Orioles,en route to leading them to their first WS title and in Frank Robby's first year in the AL.Robinson remains the only player to win the MVP award in both the AL and the NL.

To find a Triple Crown winner in the National League one would have to go the the way,way back machine to land on Joe "Ducky" Medwick of the St. Louis Cardinals---the infamous "Gas House Gang" Cards teams.

If you are wondering why Medwick was nicknamed "Ducky" see if you can find some old footage on Youtube or whatnot of him running the bases and the moniker will become obvious.

Those Cards teams were legendary. Their nut job of a Hall of Fame pitcher Dizzy Dean was knocked unconscious in the '34 WS when he was struck dead square in the forehead with the ball as he slid (or "slud" as Dizzy would have said it...) into 2nd base,attempting to break up a double play.

Dean was taken off the field on a stretcher and driven in an ambulance to the nearest hospital. He ended up being fine,but the headline in the St. Louis newspaper (the Times Dispatch I guess...) the next day was priceless...

"X-Ray of Deans' head...finds nothing".

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Fri Oct 05, 2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 05, 2012, 02:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
dude, you should get a job as a baseball comentator..lol

you contain more baseball knowledge than wikipedia...lmao

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com