Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

value betting and other questions

Old
value betting and other questions - Fri Oct 05, 2012, 07:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
in micro/low stakes tourneys and cash games is there any point value betting draw chasers who call any size bet all the way to river . I know this is the right thing to do but it gets exasperating when virtually every draw , whether a decent draw or just silly draw , gets there what seems like all the time . For example , in 7 card stud premium pairs seem to have no value whatsoever when 3 or more players call a double raise cold then chase all the way and make their daft wee straights or flushes , even when you have hit trips with said premium pair .

This just might be me , but has anyone else lost more often with premium hands than won .

Has anyone noticed how often 747 comes down on the flop .

Has anyone noticed that when you are at issue with Pokerstars about something you luck crashes through the floor .

Has anyone stopped to wonder why 98% of online players are losing players ? Maybe it is because 98% of online players play awful poker .

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I've come to the conclusion that you need to tighten up in micro\freerolls especially at the begining of the tournament.

like limping in with hands that have potential but not raising like you would normally, because you will get called by not one but at least 3 players in most situations.

towards the bubble and later stages it seems to calm down, but dont go extra aggressive until you know you have the nuts because you'll get wierd calls and you will lose in some occasions, that's part of the issue of playing stakes where losing a tournament isn't a big issue bankrollwise.

the only real issue with playing tight is if you dont get good cards your going to be in trouble in the later stages of the blinds since you'll be runing behind on the blind raises

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 10:20 PM
(#3)
thanks for the reply ; with regards to diddy stakes tourneys what you said i am already aware of , but having said that i think your advice is a bit off - no offence . My main issue is with cash games where every premium pair you get , even you do make trips stilll gets ****ed .

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 12:20 PM
(#4)
Loose passive cash games are excellent places to play speculative hands (small pairs, mid and small connectors esp suited) in position as you have excellent implied odds and with multiple players in the pot your chances of being paid off when you hit are greater. These are also hands that are easy to play fit or fold after the flop.

Premium pairs in multi-way pots can be treacherous, especially on wet boards.

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
I rock up as well and pot bet when I hit strong. Pot betting doesn't give odds to anything but a straight flush draw. I like limping in position when I get the chance in the hope to hit big but I try not to spew chips. Be aware who's after you as there's no point limping to a raising station.

AA and KK it's a pot bet/ raise, reraise and shove every time but QQ and JJ are great hand to set mine with when the blinds are low. Remember players love pretty hands like Q2s and will call a large raise with them. Always be aware of the board texture.

I never value bet unless I think I can extract more chips. If you flop trips or a set then bet it out. If there are 3 or 4 players already in the pot you will guarantee 1 caller. Players will chase bottom pair or A high to the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com