Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Flopped Straight w/5,6o in BB Limp Pot

Old
Flopped Straight w/5,6o in BB Limp Pot - Fri Oct 05, 2012, 09:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
So, I'm playing a freeroll satellite. Target access is granted to the top 9. There are about 275/1088 players left and I have 38BB behind. I've been playing fairly tight but have been caught betting big draw hands. 2beer61124 has been calling light and getting lucky against opponents. I don't have solid reads on anyone else. Here is the hand. The results are included b/c they are relevant.

First, my first thought was to fold. However, only 2 hands are beating me here (J,T and 6,T). If the player shoving is beating me and I shove and get called by a draw, I come out a little ahead if the draw doesn't come in. I could also be up against draws. Anyway, I'm looking for input here. This is a very tough fold in a freeroll.

IDK, I lost my mind when I saw that both players had exactly JT. It just feels so much like a setup. I'm so frustrated right now. You have to navigate a terrible field full of suckouts to make the target in these tourneys. I don't know what the odds are of this scenario but they have to be astronomical.

Old
Fri Oct 05, 2012, 11:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Jcrondps,

Sick flop.

I don't think in a freeroll this far off the money you should ever fold here.

T6 you can probably discount as it's a pretty ugly hand. But there will be alot of JT in peoples limping ranges. There are more combinations of 9T, KT, QT, 89, 78, 56, 77, 88, 99 and others who might all stack off in the same way.

With the effective 2nd nuts just get it in and cross your fingers.

I'll say one thing though. I really don't like the check on the flop. What if it checks around and a 6, T, J or heart comes on the turn (22 bad cards for us). ugly ugly. I would want to bet and something big like 900-1100 to charge all the draws the maximum.

Your observation on running good is correct though. 9 spots out of 1088 players is one payout per 120 people. So you could expect to cash only once in 120 games you play and only if you don't get unlucky (We would assume you've got a pretty big edge on the field but you get my drift.)

Cheers
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com