Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

$31.10 to Supernova by 2013.

Old
$31.10 to Supernova by 2013. - Sat Oct 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Currently Bronze Star.

Transferred all my cash to £££ on Pokerstars and have left myself with $31.10 in dollars. I haven't been playing well but I plan to turn the $31.10 into something serious playing NL STTs. $1.10 is for the Pokercast game tomorrow night and I'm playing my first game atm. $30 is 20 STTs, if I lose it all or lose considerably then I'll give up.

I'll mainly be playing STTs but I won't discount MTTs. Rarely if ever will I play cash.

Like most of my previous challenges I'll give up but I might as well try.

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 03:17 PM
(#2)
Played my first game and donked 33 v A6o, bad play by me but I tried to represent the A he had.

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 03:25 PM
(#3)
2nd game lost Not a great start:

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 05:14 PM
(#4)
lost 3rd game, A6o v JJ.

OK shove but I made a critical mistake earlier bluffing a no foldem earlier in the game. My bluff worked OK but I didn't factor in the other player who called and then check raised me on the turn.

1 more game tonight.

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
(#5)
22 v KTo coinflip I didn't win, I got chips i before and lost so this wasn't my mistake probably.

That's me for tonight.

May sound strange but I might 4 table these games tomorrow. It stops me making fancy plays and I play ABC, maybe enough to win at these.

Old
Sat Oct 06, 2012, 06:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Best of luck with this!

Keep us posted on your progress.

When multi-tabling 4 is a nice number too. Enough not to be dull and not too much to miss vital information.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 09:11 AM
(#7)
Change of game plan today, while I'm comfortable playing NL I think it will be easier cashing in Limit STTs where I've done most of my grinding and where most of my previous profits have come from.

I'm going to 4 table which is not good bankroll strategy but as you can probably see from my pic above I have further cash behind me so if I go broke I can reload. I'm comfortable 4 tabling, as Royal says it's a nice number where you can keep attention to all tables and also play your A game. I'm also hoping for a decent run and cash in the low or high orbit leaderboard.

I've 100VPPs to clear for an £8 bonus. I have to clear it by next week so that gives me a reason to grind.

I'd really like to get away from Limit. While there are many bad players at $1.50 and $3.50 there are many good players at $7 to $100. The games drop away at $7+ and it's harder to get a game started.

I'll update again when I've finished for today rather than update after every game.

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
(#8)
It took me 20, yes 20 games to win my first one. Don't think I had much luck and I spewed some chips into the bargain. I've played 16 games today and have a balance of $24.54. Taking a break and waiting on the Pokercast game to start.

REMEMBER THIS IS LIMIT POKER so don't criticise my bet sizing

The above hand typifies my luck but also how I'm making mistakes. I could have raised pre but my opponent is 52% VPiP and 0% PFR, it's his blind and he's NEVER folding. I'm fine with my limp, I don't have to risk my tournament by raising.

Edit: In NL this is an insta shove but in Limit it's different.

I checked the flop but a bet is fine. I usually lead out with a bet on trips but I didn't want to risk betting and scaring him so a check is fine. HEM2 has me at 100% to win this hand although I must have been 99.5%+.

The turn comes a Q so I check raised his bet, if he has a Q then great, I want his chips. He insta called my reraise which made me think he had a Q. You can sometimes get a tell on a player by how quick they call your bet. It's not foolproof but it was correct in this case.

The river is a Q and I'm squirming. I insta shoved the river knowing I was behind. I could and should have checked, let him bet or hopefully check and then make my decision.

It was a mistake and I know it. I think even with a timebank decision I wouldn't have folded but it at least gave me that option. Silly mistake which I don't make when I play well.

I've a few hands like this over my last 20 games, QQ in particular has been cruel, losing far more than I'm winning with. I've barrelled 3 streets with QQ only for them to hit an A2o on the river. Set mining and the flop comes AKo. KK has been no luckier, the beauty of Limit is that players call gutshots with rags but in today's case they invariably hit.

I know what goes around, comes around and I will get the luck. When that happens I will increase my bankroll substantially.

I'm not happy with my play but at least I can fix that.

Last edited by Ovalman; Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: added edit.

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
(#9)
$4.11 from the Pokercast game, KJo v AA marginal shove at the time but I felt my image would get respect. I really wanted one of those $50 bonuses

It still helps though and brings my total balance to $28.65 only a little short of my $31.10 starting balance.

4 more games tonight, I want to play for the High Orbit Leaderboard this week.

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 05:31 PM
(#10)
225 leaderboard points for my first block which is terrible and quite possibly as low as I've ever been.

$27.80 for today's balance and really disappointed. Not getting any luck, playing OK but not my A game but still should be doing better.

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 06:06 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck Ovalman.

Hope tomorrow brings you more luck.

Good Luck at the tables.

Old
Sun Oct 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
(#12)
Good Luck Ovalman.

Hope tomorrow brings you more luck.

Good Luck at the tables.

Old
Mon Oct 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
(#13)
Thanks Pinoy, I'm really getting hit bad. I'm sure some of it is bad play but I feel I'm not getting any luck at all. Below was my exit hand on my last game tonight, my opponent had a VPiP of 39% and a PFR of 38% so you can work out his range (or lack of any)

As you can't shove in Limit when I'm short like this I pick an exit hand to raise, raise, raise with and hopefully double up. I was pretty confident I was ahead pre flop because this maniac will raise with any 2. I also know you only hit the flop 1 time in 3 so even on that flop I thought I was still ahead. Maniac as usual hits but it's happening all the time since I started this challenge. Just no luck when it matters most while I don't catch lucky when I'm behind.

I've reviewed every game I played tonight and spotted a few mistakes but overall I'm OK with my play, backed up by the fact I came 5th on a tourney on another site.

My balance is now $16.53 and I've played 51 STTs.

Old
Tue Oct 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
(#14)
16 STTs tonight in 3 hours and at last a winning session. I think I was being too aggressive, trying to fight fire with fire which didn't work. I've noticed a lot more maniac aggressive's (HEM2 has them tagged as Blue Whales) in these since I last played them and when your raising your premiums you sometimes have to let them go.

I can see where they're making the mistakes but in my blinkered view I didn't realise it was me also making mistakes. I calmed things down tonight, got less frustrated and actually won a couple of games.

Balance is $23.82 with 5 x 1sts, 2nds, 9 unplaced and an overall ROI today of 30%.

Moving in the right direction again.

Old
Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
(#15)
Great job mate, keep it up.

Old
Wed Oct 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#16)
Thanks again

I ripped the audio from this and listened to it yesterday and again today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbFgcndH9Ao

It's a 45 minute watch and mainly geared at what I want to do. I don't think I learned much from it but it reinforced my own thinking that to get anywhere decent in the game I need to put in volume. As a result I played 30 games in 3 hours and am + 39 cent overall now.

7 first places
6 second places
5 third places
6 fourth places
6 fifth places
0 sixth places

That's an overall ROI of 17% today of which I'm happy with but I still think I can do better.

I've nearly finished my first block of 100 for the high stakes leaderboard. I've a score of 1128 which won't get me a on it but I'll try another 100. You need an average of 300 points over each block of 20 to make the high stakes.

My graph since 06/10/12

Old
Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
(#17)
Good Luck on your next block

Old
Thu Oct 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
(#18)
Not going great again and balance is now $27.39. I did clear my £8 bonus so I'm going to withdraw some £££'s. By withdrawing I can't take up the PCA deposit bonus but I'll keep some funds available for the next one that comes along.

I made a few stupid mistakes that cost me cash tonight. I'm not playing great but not overly badly either.

Since I started my challenge on Saturday I've played AA 28 times and only won 63% with it. I'm not sure what the odds are for any 2 random holdings but against JTs, KK etc. I'm 80%+.

I play limit so I can expect more action but I never, ever slow play AA when I'm up against 3 players or more. Below is typical.

The same is true of KK, QQ, AKs etc.

I suppose I am whinging but when you compare it to my HEM2 lifetime stats, I'm getting 80.5% in 1046 hands of AA. Luck averages itself out and I will get it back.

I'm also playing a terrible end game. One opponent came back from 90 chips when the blinds were 200/400. Yes he lucked out loads but I also got frustrated and doubled him up when I played his any 2 style. Really stupid and it's silly things like this that's denting my ROI.

Another critical part is bubble play. My 2 opponents tend to shift chips between each other. Then when I challenge, my bets never get respected and they invariably donk my strong pre flop hands. It's this luck element that I don't think I'm getting.

I know it will come but it's been a bad week all round.

One thing that pleases me is my volume play. I'm cascading up to 8 tables and not struggling. I do make the odd mistake but I'm not timebanking anything. I could handle more but there's not enough games starting. When I move back to NL or move between stakes I should have less problems. I remember when I couldn't 4 table before but with practice it becomes easier.

I won't play as much tomorrow or Saturday so I might not complete my second block of 100. I finished with 1128 points for the Mercury High Orbit Leaderboard, nowhere near enough to get me in the top 100. I've previously hit 1700 points on this and I reckon I should average around 1500. Still, Sunday starts a new week so I'll try again next week.

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#19)
Didn't play at all Friday and Saturday and only 1 game today. My usual bad beat, didn't make a mistake until river and I knew I was behind. I could have check folded the river but again got frustrated being so far ahead and shoved.

97% favourite on flop but it's limit and no-one folds. Villian is 48% VPiP and 24% PFR so I can rule out the house until the river. I can bang my head but it's players like this that make the game pay.

I sent $1.10 to a mate and am playing the Pokercast game so current balance is $23.69. Not disappointed, will grind tomorrow and get 100 games this week.

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 04:57 PM
(#20)
I came 8th in the Pokercast game for $13.61. The $13.61 has brought my balance to $37.30 but I cannot state enough how IMPORTANT that $50 bonus is to me. It's rakeback that I will clear. It's 350 points and a better RB deal than I'd get elsewhere.

I'm seriously well chuffed with this.

Last edited by Ovalman; Sun Oct 14, 2012 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: wrong total, $37 instead of $31

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com