Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-Max ZOOM - Nut Flush - River card pairs board - call or fold to river bet?

Old
5NL 6-Max ZOOM - Nut Flush - River card pairs board - call or fold to river bet? - Thu Oct 11, 2012, 06:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Deep stacked at the 5NL ZOOM and playing a few speculative hands.

I flat-called a 3x raise with A7 suited in the cut-off and saw a flop 4-handed in position.

The flop gives me the nut-flush draw and when the table checked to me I made a half pot sized bet and only the shortest stack called.

The turn completed my flush and the opp checked - so I made another half pot sized bet which was called, making the pot $2.34 and leaving the opp less than a pot sized stack of $1.49

The river pairs the board and the villain donks in with the rest of his stack.

What hands could I put them on and am I committed to a call here even if I think I am often beat?

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Oct 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Edinfreeman

Tough spot . On the one hand very few combinations of hands beat us. I count 3 combinations of 99, 3 of 33, 1 of 44 and 6 of 34. That's 13 combinations if we leave out the possibility of a flop check-call from 22. I think he could sometimes check and call the flop with 22 but he probably also folds 34o in the BB with 3 people in the pot infront of him sometimes too .

So in reality maybe only 7 combinations beat us. He definitely could have played all flopped sets this way. That is he slowplayed the flop, which was a mistake by him oop and multiway, but definitely something a lot of players do. Then when the flush card came in he was reluctant to check-raise his set because of that possibility. As a result, he would get to the river with a full house or even the quads .

I think though we are getting a very good price on calling the river, so it is worth exploring whether we can make a profitable call or not.

What about worse flushes? To be honest I think it makes some sense for a player to play these this way. All he has to have done is not check-raise the turn. So let's say, since he is in the BB he can have KQss, KJss, KTss, QJss, QTss, T9ss, 89ss, T8ss, K9ss, Q9ss, we're getting up to a lot of combinations! I think he is more likely to check-call these flushes on the turn as opposed to check-raise because he doesn't have the nuts. It is strange that some players choose to play their hands this way, check-call, check-call, shove river when the board gets worse for them, but I digress.

The other possibilities are the 56 and the A5 straights. We beat these as well and if there are 4 or 5 combinations of those he can have between them then we can definitely start to think we will be winning enough on the river to make a call.

When someone makes a pot sized bet on the river, to make a break even call you have to win 1/3 of the time. Here he is making less than a pot sized bet so he only has to have 1 worse hand for every 2 better hands for us to make a profitable call.

I think actually without a read I would groan and hope to see a worse flush or a straight often enough. I am of course ruling out the 94 from this preflop range. And he could have check-raised those sets on the flop after all

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 05:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
Thanks Gareth,

I did groan and make the call and was not surprised at the result, although they had a hand I really did not like their line with - I suppose they could have put me on a bluff on the flop as I was in position - and so they just floated - maybe put me on a total miss with Ax, a pair that was ahead of the board or flopped just one overcard eg- 66/77/88/TT/JJ - and wanted to see one more card and then hit their weak set...

..but they don't have the nuts on the river and I think they are just hoping I have nothing and fold or the flush and call - given it was a tough call with the nut flush I imagine they are usually only getting called by 99/44.

Cheers

Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sat Oct 13, 2012 at 05:35 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com