Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

T.O.Nelson has .01 in his Bankroll and wants to build it :)

Old
Smile
T.O.Nelson NOW has $9.09 in his Bankroll and wants to build it :) - Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
Hi,

I'll admit, I'm a jump in the deep end kind of guy. As such my first few games were kind of "meh", but I think I have started to improve. I have passed both the Poker Basics, and Cash Game quizs.

Question 1) Do I qualify for any of the gifts yet?

Question 2) If not, what is the next step.

As an aside, I won a ticket in the Hubble free roll last night. This isn't a question, I'm just stoked

Thanks!

Nelson

BANK ROLL Progress...
(started slow, playing freerolls while I reviewed the PSO training materials. During this time I won ".01" in PS Open League tourney, a ticket to the second round of the Hubble where I did so-so, and ".09" in a BanRollMob Freeroll.)

Start: 0.00
Train: 0.10 (+.10 won in freerolls)
OCT18/12: 2.10 (+2.00 PSO BankRoll deposit)
OCT18/12: 9.09 (+8.99 playing 01/02 tables)

Last edited by T.O.Nelson; Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old
Fri Oct 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Nelson View Post
Hi,
I'll admit, I'm a jump in the deep end kind of guy. As such my first few games were kind of "meh", but I think I have started to improve. I have passed both the Poker Basics, and Cash Game quizs.
Question 1) Do I qualify for any of the gifts yet?
Question 2) If not, what is the next step.
As an aside, I won a ticket in the Hubble free roll last night. This isn't a question, I'm just stoked
Thanks!
Nelson
Hi T.O.Nelson,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline.

We'll advise within the next 24 hours if your eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion.

In the mean time feel free to browse www.pokerschoolonline.com. >>click here<< for a complete overview of what PokerSchoolOnline has to offer.

Thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thank You royalraise85,

Just a clarification, I the $0.01 I have in my bankroll I won from one of the PSO tourneys.

I lookf forward to your response.....

Old
Fri Oct 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thank You royalraise85,
Just a clarification, I the $0.01 I have in my bankroll I won from one of the PSO tourneys.
I lookf forward to your response.....
Hi T.O.Nelson,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I have attended the "getting started" course already and will do the other ASAP.

Here is a hand that didn't give me trouble so much as it it shows something that seems to happen way to often to me of late....

Last edited by T.O.Nelson; Fri Oct 12, 2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi T.O.Nelson,

Thanks for posting. I'll ask one of the hand analysers to look at this for you.

Once he does this and you've attended the 'Introduction to Bet Sizing' course we can continue on from there.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:04 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thanks Raiser,

Here are a couple more for them to look at....

Could I have gotten better value from this (check-raise?):

This one I was so focused on the bluff, I missed a signal(?):

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi T.O.Nelson!

I have 78o in the SB and have five limpers. Due to having to play the entire hand out of position, I'm going to muck this hand from the small blind. Playing too many hands from the SB is one of most player's largest chip leaks. They think that since it's cheaper to see the flop, they should play more hands... when actually the opposite is true due to being out of position, which is a HUGE disadvantage.
If I was in the hand, with 2nd pair on the flop, I check and have an opp bet just over 1/2 pot that is called by two opps. I'm not going to be ahead here almost always, so I need to fold the flop. The only way I can probably win the hand is with a 9 and even then, if a heart hits on the turn or river, even my 9 is most likely not going to be good. I'm mucking and saving my chips for a better situation when I can be IN position.
The river confirms my decision, as when the heart hits... I lose the hand, even though I was extremely lucky to hit a 3 outer on the turn (will only happen 6% of the time).

With 89s from late postion with two limpers in front of me, this is a situation where I would limp behind and hope to see a cheap flop in a cash game (if this was a tourney, it would depend on the type of tourney it is. In a cash tourney I'd limp behind, league game, it's an instant muck, as I never want to be playing a marginal hand in a league game).
The flop gives an overpair, with many straight draws and a heart flush draw. I have the absolute bottom straight draw, so I'm not very confident about my hand if a 10 hits, as someone could easily have a higher straight. Also, if a heart hits, I could easily have the lowest flush too. When it's checked to me, I'm going to make a value bet of 1/2 pot. I don't want to be betting more because I'm only going to get called by a better hand (which I don't want).

With KQ from mid position, if I'm going to play the hand, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, which in this case is to 400. I don't want to raise less than this because all that I will do is to bloat the pot and invite opps with position on me into the pot. When I raise here, I want to isolate the initial limper.
The flop misses me and the opp that is out of postion checks. I can either check and see a free card or I can make a c-bet. If I pick to c-bet, I need to bet 1/2 pot. Betting less than this amount will give the opp the correct odds to draw at me if they have a flush or straight draw.
The turn does not help me and when the opp checks to me, I will gladly check behind and take a free card. I do not want to be putting more chips into a pot where I could easily be behind.
The river is another blank and the opp checks again. Bluffing here is a really bad idea, as the opp looks to be a calling station (will call anything) and the only way that I can most likely win the hand is to get them to fold. I will check behind here and get a cheap showdown to see what the opp has.
Bluffing at lower stakes games, especially when one or more of the opps are calling stations, is a really bad idea and something that I will avoid doing.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Thank you John, I actualy put some of your advice above into practice today with good results.

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
I mentioned my Ticket to the Hubble 2nd round earlier, and feel it only fitting to update with my results.

Well...... I didn't win any money. I think I finished somewhere around 2400th. Much better players to deal with once you get out of the PSO freerolls, that is certain. Far fewer "ALL In Lottery" players in the first few hands, and much less "sit out" players clogging up the flow of the game.

I'd rather loose my stake to decent players any day of the week, and without the "ALL IN" and "Sit Out" spammers, it's a much more enjoyable experience. Of course I'd also much rather kick thier collective arses too

Looking forward to more play at higher levels.

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 06:51 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Well I can't seem to find a good time for that second course, but I have other news....

My finishs have been much more consistent of late in the PSO league Freerolls such that I will have moved up into prize eligibility after my latest score registers. I'm been playing a lot, reading alot, and listening to previous lessons in the background. This combination has aided my game dramaticly I think. I'm still prone to my risk taking nature, but at a much reduced rate.

It should be noted that I seem to play better when I have multiple games on the go at once. This seems to force me to depend on instinct which has been directly altered by PokerSchool, while when I play a sigle game I have to much time to over think things thus slipping in the prior bad habits. The latter happens less often now however.

Not that anyone asked

Last edited by T.O.Nelson; Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 06:56 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
I have completed both courses now.

Old
Bank roll now = $0.10 - Wed Oct 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Just won $0.09 in a BankRollMob Freeroll

My Bankroll is now up to a HUGE $0.10 CDN.

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 04:42 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have completed both courses now.
Hi T.O.Nelson

Your first buy-in will now be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with any hands that caused you problems, or that cost you money, while playing.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Getting good results so far in the 01/02 tables. I brought the 2.00 to the table and have built it to 4.49 as of this msg.

Due to the above I don't have any "trouble" hands to post so I'll post a couple hands that I want to verify I played correctly. The entire table has been playing passive, folding on almost any raises.

The first.....

The second (This one you will have a hard time convining me I played wrong ).....

I much preffer cash games so far. More predictable, consistent play.

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Ok here's one that hurt....

As luck would have it, I recouped most of the loss the very next hand with pocket bullets

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 02:50 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
This worked out well....

I'm upto 9.09 now

Last edited by T.O.Nelson; Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi T.O.Nelson,

Thanks for posting. I will ask one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at these for you.

Once he has done this we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
(#19)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi T.O.,

Hand 1, 55 - Perfect. Definitely a standard open here, and fold to the guy's 43x reraise jam. While it's uncertain what he'd overbet jam with like this, you are not in good shape vs. his range as you are basically flipping or a 4-1 dog vs. the vast majority of it. We just looked at an overbet jam like this in live training tonight where the guy ended up being full of it, he had QTo. So what? You're still just flipping there as a small favorite, like 51-49. The problem is he could also be full of it with a medium pocket pair just trying to push you off, and now you're a 4-1 dog. It's too marginal to stack off a small pair here so I like the fold.

Hand 2, JTs - You said "This one you will have a hard time convining me I played wrong"... ok, I accept the challenge.

JTs is generally just too weak to be opening from UTG in a full ring game. That being said, you stated the reads were that the table was passive and folding to almost any (although ironically both hands posted contradict that read). JTs can be a nice "mix it up" hand opened UTG once in a while as long as you don't stretch and overdo it, and in the table dynamic you described it's a reasonable one to try. Still ok to just fold UTG though tbh.

Post flop I think you played wrong. I really think you should be betting the flop, not slow playing. Granted we almost certainly have the best hand now, but you are expected to bet as the preflop raiser, and no one will give you credit for having a jack here. People who happen to flop a flush draw will at least call, and sometimes raise this board texture to rep the jack, then you can get them in bad. Players are not folding pocket pairs to a single c-bet either, so you get some value vs. the 88 type hands. Even if they would fold to a single c-bet, that's better than checking since if that's true then the only way they're putting big money in is if they 2 out you, and you can not get away from this hand strength easily so that will be costly.

Turn obviously we have the nuts, definitely raise his bet, but you might want to raise a bit more due to his stack size. If he calls .24c there will be .72c in the pot and he's got .99c behind. He probably hit the ten, so set up a better river shove to get a ten to stack off. If you make it .35c for instance, now the pot is .94c and he'll have .88c behind, less than a pot sized bet, easier to get called when the river doesn't improve him and he just has J's and T's.

Definitely love the river putting him all in, if the ace scares him he won't call even a small value bet, but if he doesn't scare him (AT, QJ, KJ, KQ, AK, AQ) he'll put the money in and pay off.

Nice hand, great result, but just because you win a hand doesn't mean you played it optimally necessarily.

Hand 3, AKo - Nothing much to say here, 3B the short stack steal position raise and get it in with him pre is standard and generally optimal here without specific reads that would indicate a better line. This one I think you played solid (despite an unfortunate result on this individual trial... he'll show us plenty of AQ/AJ/KQ's etc to make up for it over time).

Hand 4, A4o - Preflop don't limp, first in raise or fold, and raising with an ace here to steal the blinds is fine imo. Bet the flop and turn for value certainly. Calling the turn raise I'm not sure about. Again the min raise is a weak player tell of a big hand. And when we get raised on the hand strong 1 pair hands are often no good. Now here we have 2 pair, but it's really not any better than AK... The only 2 pair+ hand that might call preflop that we're beating is 64s, but that means he also called a flop bet with bottom pair? I think we are looking at AT, A6, 44, TT a lot in this spot, which means as strange as it may sound, a fold could be in order. He could also have peeled with a gutter like KhQh and now turned the flush draw, and be making a semi-bluff, but not real likely. River is fine. It's weird, we're beating TT and 44 now but still losing to AT and A6. There is 1 combo of 44 he can hold and 3 combos of TT, and there is 3 combos of AT and 3 combos of A6, so we're actually a 6-4 underdog vs. that range of hands. Still priced in to call now though, even though I think we lose this pot more often than not when he raises all in on the river.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 04:25 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi T.O.Nelson,

Now your ready to study the Cash Game course. Spend some time studying the content of this course and this will help you greatly.

When you feel you are ready have a go at attempting the quiz.

Also, please attend one of the 'Entering A Cash Game Pot' live training sessions.

Please post back here when you have completed both of these items.

John (JWK24)

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com