Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

hardtoobey7 Bankroll Builder

Old
hardtoobey7 Bankroll Builder - Sat Oct 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Hi! I have created an account on Pokerstars, have not made a deposit yet, what should I do to take part in the promotion?

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtoobey7 View Post
Hi! I have created an account on Pokerstars, have not made a deposit yet, what should I do to take part in the promotion?
Hi hardtoobey7,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline.

We'll advise within the next 24 hours if your eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion.

In the mean time feel free to browse www.pokerschoolonline.com. >>click here<< for a complete overview of what PokerSchoolOnline has to offer.

Thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
(#3)
Thank you, I'll be waiting for further instructions!

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey7,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 06:33 AM
(#5)
I have 2 hands here.

Maybe I shouldn't have continued with AK after the flop but they were making so smallish bets, and there was a chance to catch a queen.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

And this one was kinda river bluff but it turned out well as no one had an Ace

Today I have also attended the training sessions you mentioned, they were hosted by Ahar and were very useful!

Last edited by hardtoobey7; Sun Oct 14, 2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
(#6)
I've also passed the Basic Quiz, what should I do now?

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey7!

With AK from the SB (worst position at the table), I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. Due to having 3 limpers, I'll raise to 12 preflop.
The flop brings three diamond undercards. Not a good flop for my AK, since I don't have the A of diamonds. Due to not having a made hand and only a gutshot straight draw (which may not end up being the best hand), I'm checking the flop and hoping that the opps will check behind so that I can get a free turn card.
When the button makes an abnormally small min-bet, I will call this and see the turn (same for the abnormal raise). After the flop, I want to size my bets on the size of the pot, not the size of the blinds.
The turn is a blank. I'll check again here and if either opp makes another abnormally small bet, I'll call. If they make a larger bet, then I'll fold. I don't expect to be ahead in the hand here (why I'm not lead betting), but if they bet small enough to price in my draw, I'll gladly do so.
The river is another blank for me, so I'll check/fold here. As it turns out, I was behind a pair of twos.

With KJ from UTG, I need to either make a standard raise (to 3BB+1BB for each limper) or muck. In most situaions, this is a muck for me, as I don't want to be playing a marginal hand out of position. If any of the opps have been playing aggressively, I'm definintely mucking it here.
The flop gives me 2nd pair and an opp from the blinds that called a preflop raise leads into me for just under 1/2 pot. This is most likely going to be an ace and since I'm behind, I'm mucking. I don't want to be putting chips into a pot when I do not have the best hand (or at least a +EV draw).
The turn is another blank for me and the blind now makes just under a pot-sized bet. Second pair will basically never be good here against a competant opp, so it's an easy muck. I do not want to be chasing and putting chips into a pot where I'm basically always beat.
The river completes the spade flush and now the aggro opp checks. That tells me that they are scared of the flush and being in position on them, it's acutally a good card to bluff at if they are actually scared of the flush. I need to size my bet so that it looks like a value bet, because I absolutely do not want a call as I expect the opp to have Ax almost every single time here. I'd size my bet between 3/4 and a pot-sized bet... IF AND ONLY IF I THINK THE OPP WILL FOLD. If I think the opp would call, then I'm checking here 100% of the time.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey7!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

Also, please attend an 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training session. This should help too.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
(#9)
I have been at the Cash Game Pot session today. Have also received $2, thank you

There is a hand I have a question about. Maybe I should not have raised the flop?

And this was a huge hit, poorly played hand. Now have only $0.61 left so can't play so far

One more thing: I've just reread JWK's last message and it seems I should have played full ring while I played 6-max. Yeah, not very smart of me, should have payed more attention. Hope this will not lead to banning from the promotion!

Last edited by hardtoobey7; Sun Oct 14, 2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:54 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Hi hardtoo,

In the KK Hand definitely I think you should be betting this flop after he checks to you, this is a very strong flop but there's no reason to give a free card to a medium or small diamond, just go ahead and bet for value like you did, it's perfect.

In the AK hand, 3-bet more to about .32c would be better. You followed the beginner course guideline here of 3x the raisers total bet (.08c and you made it .24 to go), which is good, but there is another player who has cold called the .08c raise as well... so similar to the recommendation for adding 1x for every limper when you open raise, here add some more money for the additional caller... about 1x the raise size more is a good basic guideline.

On the flop, either check it back and take a free card, or bet and fold to a raise, once you get check-raised all in you are in bad shape either facing a pair like you were, or a big draw which has good equity anyway (and occassionally a set which has you destroyed)... so just lay it down to the check-raise is the way to go imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
(#11)
Thank you, Dave, I'll try to keep that line next time I'm in a hand like the second one.

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
(#12)
So what should I do next?

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey7,

Now your ready to study the Cash Game course. Spend some time studying the content of this course and this will help you greatly.

When you feel you are ready have a go at attempting the quiz.

Also, please attend one of the 'Entering A Cash Game Pot' live training sessions.

Please post back here when you have completed both of these items.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#14)
Hi JWK! I've passed the Cash Game Quiz, and as for the training, I have attended it last Sunday.

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey7!

Congrats on passing the course. The next buy-in will be credited to your account within the next 24 hours. Remember to use the information learned in the course and training sessions when you use this buy-in to play the 1/2 cent full ring tables ONLY.
Playing any other type of format will prevent you from being able to receive any additional buy-ins from this promotion.

Good luck at the tables and please let us know what happens while playing, especially if there are any hands that you have problems with or lose the buy-in with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
(#16)
Here are some hands I'd like you to take a look at.

Last edited by hardtoobey7; Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey.

You don't give any info on the opponents, so I'm only going to give very general thoughts about what I'd be thiking on in your shoes, ok?

A9s hand:

UTG at a short handed full ring table (7 seated) is a bit loose to open A9s with short stacks in the blinds in my opinion.

First, the most likely value flops for A9 will not tend to be strong enough to love committing to if the blinds play along for your raise, and the typical value flops for A9 are also not strong enough to love bigger pots either (if any aggro stacks with position on you had played). So when you do not know WHO might call or 3b et your raise, A9s oop is usually a better hand to fold than play.

Second, any draw flops for A9s become less valuable because you either are forced to play draws oop (very difficult to maintain pot control in those spots), or you are playing in position but versus stacks which can not pay you for your risk (the shorties).

So all in all, unless I had very specific info on my table which said I had pretty LOOSE/PASSIVE players behind me, and either PASSIVE blinds, or very LOOSE/AGGRESSIVE bluff-tards in the blinds, I think I'd prefer to just let A9s go pre flop here.

You did raise UTG though...

I cannot say I agree with your decision to call the flop here. I'd rank my preference of choices in this spot as:

1) FOLD

2) RAISE

3) CALL

I like folding best because we are never going to really be sure we have the best hand on the turn. Since we are quite likely to end up playing for the SB's stack if we raise a turn that hits us, we really would like to know an appearent value card really is a value card for us in order to stick around.

I think that in some spots the SB's donk lead here might be small enough to indicate weakness and a willingness to fold to aggression, but I have raise ranked as my 2nd choice because the money is just too shallow to be certain. Since micro stakes players lack discipline quite often, it may be asking too much to expect them to fold something like A8/K8 here, so not trying ranks a bit higher in my opinion.

I don't like your call simply because:

- the money isnt deep enough to try a float, because if he bets again on the turn, he is probably certainly stuck calling his stack off.
- the value you might make isnt strong enough to play for the opp's stack confidently because of kicker issues
- you have little chance to make a worthwhile price if you do catch running cards to a straight or flush.

When you do hit your A on the turn, I'd certainly not FOLD (it was what you were playing to hit by calling the flop, right?), but I don't think I'd love raising without info either. All a raise does is clue the opp in that you may hit that A and get him to fold a worse hand. This costs you value. If he can BEAT a 1 pair A he is never folding that after investing that deep, and that has you in trouble with a 9 kicker. This costs you value too.

See how kicker issues and playing versus a short stack sets you up to lose more? As such, it was probably better to jsut fold pre flop, or at the latest on the flop.

AKs Hand:

This one is a different situation than the A9s hand, simply because AKs is certainly a hand worth raising oop, and it is often (not always, but often) one worth calling a 3bet oop too.

When you miss the flop, there is no reason not to C bet, and I like your 2/3rds amount. That amount does not look suspicious if only because of the diamonds on the flop, and it can be a pretty standard value bet. So your bet leaves an opponent guessing really a lot of the time.

When the J falls on the turn and the opp checks to you, I love your check behind. In that spot a bet really is not gaining you much because another 2/3rds pot bet is unlikely to be called by someone diamond drawing, and it isn't all that likely someone on a hand like 66/77 that did not "believe" you had a J is going to believe you now and fold. As such, a bet with the "nut no pair" really gains you nothing.

When the board pairs on the river and the opp leads for pot I cannot really say I "hate" your call. The fact you checked behind on the turn may lead some busted diamond draws to try a desperation bluff on the river, because of your appearent "weakness". Getting 2 to 1 to call that pot size river bet means you need to be "right" only about 33% of the time to break even on a call, so a call CAN be very reasonable here.

It all depends, of course, on information you might have as to whether this could be a bluff at least 33% of the time though.

Hope it helps!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
(#18)
Hi JDean and thank you!

So should I just continue playing until I reach a certain bankroll? Or there are some other things I should do?

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hardtoobey7!

Please keep playing as long as you can with this. If you get to 10VPP's, then you will unlock the other buy-ins, or if you lose the buy-in, then we'll move to the next step, so that you will be able to get another buy-in.
Obviously, we'd like to see you turn this buy-in, into a good sized bankroll for you, but understand if you lose it and learn from it too, so that you will be a better player in the future.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
(#20)
OK, I will update this thread with results and problem hands as I go. Made +$1.65 yesterday, BR=$4.25, 3 VPP.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com