Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Oct 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Hello!
I just noticed the Bankroll Builder promo and wanted to know if im eligible. I have not deposited any money yet bet i have passed the basic assessment quiz.

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
(#3)

I know i didnt play my had very good but i got lucky. But there is one thing that i dont understand. Why did the pot go from 1580 to 920?

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 06:23 AM
(#4)
I have attended the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions and i also attended the 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live session. What is the next step?

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters!

With A3s, I don't want to open-limp. I either want to make a standard raise (3BB+1BB for each limper) or I want to fold. Open-limping is a play that is very exploitable by any opp that has position on a player and due to that, it's something that I never want to do.
If I was in later position, then I'd be happy to raise with A3s (from button, cutoff, hijack), but from a position earlier than this, I'm mucking it preflop. There are too many hands that the opps left to act can have that have me dominated. If I get an ace on the flop, yes, I have top pair, but most likely, I'm beat due to being outkicked.. plus I have to act first, which makes the hand much, much tougher to play. Being out of position didn't happen here, but will the overwhelming majority of the time in this situation.

The flop is a total miss for me. If I had raised preflop (only way I'd be in the hand), then I'm going to make a 1/2 pot continuation bet when both opps fold to me. If they didn't hit a part of the board, then the hand will be over, as they will fold them.

The turn gives me bottom pair and the opps check again. Checking two streets in a row is another thing that I do not want to do when I'm in position. With no raises preflop, all checks on the flop and all checks to me on the turn. Honestly, I'm betting 1/2 pot here whether I have a made hand or not... because with the opps not raising pre and checking twice, they're telling me that they have absolutely nothing.

The river gives me trip 3's and now the very passive opp makes a pot size bet that is called. With what is most likely the best hand I'm definitely raising here and will make a pot-sized raise to 240 (if I think the opp will call more, then I'll raise more). The key for the bet sizing is that I WANT a call. I don't want to bet too much and have the opp fold, which costs me value.

The reason that the pot size dropped is that when you shove the 400 in the pot, the SB re-shoves to 1060. When the BB folds, you don't have enough chips to cover their bet, so any excess chips over your 400 are given back to the SB. They only have to put in enough chips to cover your bet when the other opp folds.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters!

Now it's time to study the Poker Basics course and after you've studied it, try to pass the quiz.

Once you've passed it we'll award you your first buy-in and continue on from there.

Please let me know when you do this.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:52 AM
(#7)
Thank you for the explanation.

When I played the hand I didnt know that limping is a bad play. Now I mainly fold bad hands and raise good hands depending on position.

I have passed the Poker Basics quiz.

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Open limping is a play that causes two huge problems. It gives the opps the correct price to be drawing to beat me with worse hands. It also makes me play the hand out of position, which is one of the largest disadvantages that I can have in a hand.

Here is a video from the library where Dave (TheLangolier) discusses position at the table and how being IN position can be a large advantage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2011
welcome to pso gl c ya round ...a wealth of info here if you want to learn to play ...it's certainly improved my game cheers r0ck

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
(#11)
Hello1

I have receved the first buy in and have been playing 1c/2c tables. At first it went quite good but then i started to make bad decisions.

This hand was one of those. I know bluffing is a bad idea but my opp had been bluffing very often and i did not susspect that he could have a pair.

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
(#12)
(Head Trainer)
Hi KMaters,

Preflop and on the flop I think you played this hand fine and pretty standard. I definitely like that you raised the limper... you may succeed in isolating him, have the best hand, and positional advantage, so that looks good. I also like continuation betting this board when checked to. You will often still have the best hand, and can possibly get value from worse ace highs and broadway cards that may peel once. And his unpaired hands still have equity in the pot, so if he folds and you take it down that's not a bad result, as he doesn't get a chance to realize that equity by seeing more cards.

The only thing I would do different is check the turn behind him. When he does call the flop he is likely to have a fair bit of 1 pair hands (and once in a rare while a monster he's slow playing). The 8 is not a scary card to him, so he's not likely to fold. Better to take the free card here and hope to hit a J, A, or 2, and failing that check it down as your ace high will be good sometimes (it has showdown value when he checks the river to you) and he won't fold a pair to a bet anyway most likely. Good turn cards to barrel (bet again) would be any card that improves your hand in some way (A, J, 2, or a 2nd diamond) or that are scary looking to his 1 pair hands that called the flop hoping you just have big cards (K, Q).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
(#13)
Thank you for the explanation.

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters!

Please let us know how you're doing with your buy-in. Hopefully you will be able to continue to grow it and get up to 10VPP's.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
(#15)
Hello!

As I said in one of my previous posts. At first it went realy well i went up to 4$ from 2$ but then i started to make bad decisions and lost all of it. Now i have 0.40$ left and 3.03 VPP's.

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
(#16)
Hi!

Is there a next step that i need to take to get the remaining 6$?

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters,

Now your ready to study the Cash Game course. Spend some time studying the content of this course and this will help you greatly.

When you feel you are ready have a go at attempting the quiz.

Also, please attend one of the 'Entering A Cash Game Pot' live training sessions.

Please post back here when you have completed both of these items.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
(#18)
Hi!

I attended the 'Entering A Cash Game Pot' live session the same day as the first two sessions. And I already have passed all the quizes.

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi KMaters!

Congrats on passing the course. The next buy-in will be credited to your account within the next 24 hours. Remember to use the information learned in the course and training sessions when you use this buy-in to play the 1/2 cent full ring tables ONLY.
Playing any other type of format will prevent you from being able to receive any additional buy-ins from this promotion.

Good luck at the tables and please let us know what happens while playing, especially if there are any hands that you have problems with or lose the buy-in with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
(#20)
Hello!

I have received the second buy-in and i have been playing 1/2c games. I also have earned 10+ VPP's.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com