Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL$60 Live MTT - AKs, nut flush draw vs aggro

Old
NL$60 Live MTT - AKs, nut flush draw vs aggro - Sat Oct 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hey, everyone. I'm not new to the site, although this is my first post in the forums. I have a quick question involving a Live B&M MTT I played in on Thursday.

It was about the mid-point of the tournament. I believe the blinds were at about 400-800 (there were no antes in this tourney). I had been running fairly well, and was sitting at about 15,000 (from a starting 6000).

I had been dealt AsKs and made a standard raise with it. The caller, one of the blinds, was a fairly loose and very aggressive player who liked to shove about once every ten hands or so (he usually did this pre-flop, but would also do it post-flop). He amassed a large stack early on, but had lost quite a bit of it in recent hands. The pot was a little over 4000 at this point.

The flop came Qs 9s 2c, giving me the nut flush draw with two overcards. After a few seconds, my aggressive opponent shoved his stack of about 11,000. I counted my own chips, and found that I had him covered by about 1,500. I thought for a couple of minutes before calling.

Was calling this shove the right move, or should I have played more cautiously?

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

Welcome to the forum. This type of buy-in B&M tourney is actually what started me playing NLHE tourneys. I'm actually going to play three of these in about a week when I go on a vacation to Las Vegas ($50, $60, $120 are what I'm planning on playing).

How many players were in the tourney? The reason that I ask, is that it will help to determine how many chips I'll need to get ITM. 15k could be on the border of getting there, or I could need to accumulate more chips.

If I need to accumulate chips to get ITM, then I'm looking for any spots where I can accumulate chips. With two overs and a flush draw, against a loose aggro opp, I most likely have 15 outs (I'm a 60-40 fav in the hand if they have a pair). Since I need to get more chips to get ITM, I'm more than willing to call here, as I'm the favorite to win the hand in a +EV situation. If the opp would shove a non-pair here, then I'm a huge favorite in a very +EV spot (could be the case if they are shoving this often).

If I think I'm on the border of cashing in it, then I'm going to pass here and look for a better situation against this type of opp. One where instead of being on a draw, I have a made hand. Goal #1 is to get ITM, Goal #2 is to get into the top 3, Goal #3 is to win it.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for the tip, JWK!

I forget the specifics, but there were 58 players in the tournament with a starting stack of 5000 each (with an optional $5 add-on of 1000 chips that almost everyone takes). We were down to between 30-25 players, and the top 6 cashed. With that being said, I don't think my 15000 stack would have gotten me itm, and would have barely gotten me to the final table (they fit 11 at a table).

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christxof View Post
Thanks for the tip, JWK!

I forget the specifics, but there were 58 players in the tournament with a starting stack of 5000 each (with an optional $5 add-on of 1000 chips that almost everyone takes). We were down to between 30-25 players, and the top 6 cashed. With that being said, I don't think my 15000 stack would have gotten me itm, and would have barely gotten me to the final table (they fit 11 at a table).
With that being the case, I'm definitely going with it here, as I do need to be accumulating chips.
Anytime I'm playing live, if there is ever an add-on, it's absolutely crazy not to take it ($5-10 is what they've been in all the tourneys I've played over the years). Not taking it puts you in at a chip disadvantage before you even start... something that I definitely do not want to do.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com