Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

good call or bad call

Old
good call or bad call - Sun Oct 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
sorry to keep bombing hands on you would like to no your opinion on this hand it was a close desicion i time banked at least 30 seconds to think about it

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Unless the SB is a super nit its an instant call for me.

Good decisions

Old
Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi stedds!

With KK, I'm going to make a standard preflop raise, which for this level for me is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I'll raise to 480. I try to follow 3BB+1BB for each limper until the blinds hit 100/200, then lower it to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, then lower it again at 1k/2k to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper.

This way, I'm betting more earlier (to try and deter a table full of opps being in the hand early) and to lower it once the antes are going and for later in the tourney. The one thing that I do not do though, is to make different bets at the same blind level. By making the same std bets, the opp doesn't know if I've got AA, 33, AK, JT or a total bluff. There is absolutely no tipping my hand due to bet sizes (which is the largest online tell).

I then have a shove by the SB and a call by the BB. I have a premium made hand, but.... it's still early in a league game, so I'll get a negative point total if I lose the hand.

Here are the keys for me. First, it's a made hand. AA, KK, QQ, I'm playing, especially earlier in the month, which is the second key. The later in the month it is, the higher my league score, the more of a penalty it would be for me to play it and lose. If it was AK or a pair lower than QQ, then I'm mucking it.

If it was late in the month, then if the SB was a nit that was playing only QQ+, then I'm mucking and waiting until I get to even points for the game before going all-in (unless I've seen the entire board and know I have the best hand), especially if I'm near a pay level jump for the monthly standings.

If it's a cash tourney, then it's a snap-call for me, unless the SB is a nit that would only shove AA pre (most likely not the case, but there are players out there that play this way).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Hands like this where someone drew out on me are the overwhelming majority of my mid to larger negative game point totals from before black friday in the league games. Earlier in the month, it's worth the risk. Late in the month, sometimes it IS worth it, sometimes it's not... it depends on where I'm at on the pay ladder.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
(#4)
cheers john i dont change my bet sizing i keep it the same on each level sometimes if i play a very week hand in posistion il bet a little more to make t look strong and i get instant folds so i like to cinfuse them good thing is most showdowns they are seeing AK AA KK so they think im only playing strong hands so they avoid me alot so it gives me chance to steal in posistion alot easier hopefully the downswing has ended come 16th and 10th yesterday so moved up 101 places and looking to hit top 10 today

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedds View Post
if i play a very week hand in posistion il bet a little more to make t look strong and i get instant folds
That is exactly what I want to avoid.

As soon as you get called and show that weaker hand even once with a larger bet, everyone both at the table AND watching the table will make a note about it (if they're being smart about it). After that, it's a 100% exploitable tell.

If I see a player doing something like it, I'll 3-bet them with ATC... and since they're weak, they can't call and I walk away with their chips whether I have a hand or not.... it'll be like they're just throwing chips at me, and I'll gladly take them.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
(#6)
i get your point but ive got 100% record of it not going to showdown with weak hands beacuse of my image but i dont do it alot once in a blue moon and i only do if they are nits

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com