Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Sam's Poker Blog - PLO Edition

Old
Sam's Poker Blog - PLO Edition - Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey, so I was thinking of giving PLO a try! Am not terribly optimistic about my chances because cash games are still my priority, and I've heard so many stories of really great NL players finding PLO very different.

But there's some games out there that are cheap, like the $0.10 240 player SNG. Was thinking of signing up for that when I sit down to play Zoom, and then I can give that a try at least once a night and see how that goes.

Have no idea what I'm doing LOL! So that always makes for a fun blog

Hope to be including stuff like:

1. Basic Theory - starting hands, when to know when to continue or fold post-flop, raise or call, etc.

2. Trying to Apply that stuff to the $0.10 games

3. Any profitable players I run into and stuff I've seen them do

4. My Results - good or bad, no matter what

It feels a little bit scary to try playing with so many cards!! But will see how it goes

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Awww, geez ... so it's only been like 5 minutes, and apparently I already screwed up by jumping in feet first, and then looking at the list of starting hands :/

So here's the 30 best starting hands:

And the hand I played wasn't suited and except for the KK, the other two cards were kinda junk :/

Then again, I jumped into a zoom table because I just wanted to see if my HUD was working, and it wasn't. And it looks like people are as tight at 2PLO Zoom as they are at 2NL Zoom, so maybe it's okay to play a hand like KKxx, I don't know? :/

Another interesting bit from the same article I got the starting hands chart from ... it says PLO is SUPER swingy. Guess I'll need to keep the Jared Tendler book close by lol!

Sam

Old
Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Another very useful and intetesting blog Sam, for sure i will be one of the #1 reader of this as i'm really confused about omaha.

Nice chart as a guide for starting hand.

Looking forward to your success and some post flop thoughts.

Good luck at the tables.

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Thx Hitman

I'm not getting the best feeling about this so far LOL LOL

But since the tourneys are only $0.10, that means I can play one a night for a whole month and it'll only cost me $3.00! That's less than it costed me to make a deposit for those Depositor Freerolls

All in good fun I guess ... we'll see how it goes, eh? lol

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Good luck Sam and Wish you all the best.

Keep us update.

PH

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thx Hitman

My plan seems to have hit some snags

First is that I've got some issues with my HUD I have to get sorted out, so that will take time :/

Second is that those $0.10 Omaha SNGs aren't filling up at night ... boo (not boo scary , boo sad ) Will have to shop around and try to find the best way to get lots of practice for cheap!

But maybe everything happens for a reason ... look what happened last time I got impatient and tried playing first, and learning second (see above hand :/)

Anyways, found some more cool info on making a transition from NL to Omaha - some differences to look out for and stuff:

And here's some more info on starting hand selection:

And some info on post-flop play:

Think next before I start to try playing, Im gonna look for more examples of strong flops that would be okay to go all-in with and what only looks good but isn't really.

But that's a lot to digest ... maybe I should play first to get some experience, and then maybe I'll better be able to remember all this stuff?

[] Good idea
[x] Not

I'm gonna do it!

(We'll see ... )

Sam

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
(#7)
nice article about omaha

good luck and run good

Old
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:14 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi, Sam, I've been dabbling in PLO for a while now. I started originally because I have that $55 ticket from Member of the Week. I find Omaha very difficult, I like to have an actual hand before I shove lol.

I've played a couple of the .10 PLO tourneys since I read your earlier post. I don't think most of them have any idea how to play. Pre-flop pot bets with bare pairs (like say AA72 rainbow) were common.

They are great fun for practice, as the .10 entry is small enough that you'll never miss it. There's a video on the PS blog where Talonchick talks you through some of her PLO play. It's in a PLO8 game, but you might find it interesting.

http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/team_p...nt-119072.html

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Hey, thx Marvin, thx Joy!!!

I finally understand that 'inside joke' that I've heard PLO players make about some people playing like it's NL+2 ... I guess they meant people are playing with danglers, eh? LOL LOL!!!

oops ... guess it's too late to erase my KKxx hand up above, since everybody's already seen it, eh? lol

I had to give up on those $0.10 tables because they weren't filling up. And then I tried some of those play money games, but they're even looser than NL freerolls because like I guess apparently it's hard to be at too much of a disadvantage with a lot wider range of hands, or something like that? So there was a money who built up a huge stack early on, and then just kept shove shove shoving *every* hand ... not a lot of room for post-flop practice I guess

So I tried playing the penny zoom tables, but I don't know what I'm doing lol Got impatient to just jump in and give it a try, but seeing as I'm already down $3 I guess that wasn't the best way to go about trying to learn something

The Talonchick vid looks awesome!!! I should make a pledge not to play any more PLO until I've watched it first

And then, I got some more detailed starting hands from the people in the beginner PLO thread at 2+2 ... they have stuff by position and how to tell between good AA, great AA and meh AA, and same with drawing hands too:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/38...-6max-1227072/

Have to admit though ... those two charts are confusing the heck out of me!!! Before I start playing again, maybe I'll see if I can make them more simple so they're easier to use and stuff too?

That'll be fun if there's a bunch of us trying to learn at the same time though!! Will have to see how it goes, eh? Good luck to us!!

Old
Wink
omaha - Wed Oct 31, 2012, 07:08 AM
(#10)
Since: Dec 2010
hay sam i played plo for 2 years before i took up holdem for the 6max challenge all i can say is variants so double your bankroll u use for holdem at least and bye yourself a tin hat your gunna need it piggy

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 07:11 AM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
Be careful, PLO can be highly addictive

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:15 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG SICK View Post
hay sam i played plo for 2 years before i took up holdem for the 6max challenge all i can say is variants so double your bankroll u use for holdem at least and bye yourself a tin hat your gunna need it piggy
LOL!!!

That sounds like fun

I'd heard that about the big swings, but I hadn't thought of that in terms of doubling my roll - which means I should probably quadruple it, since I keep playing like it's NL+2

I may try to get signed up for some of those $0.10 SNGs on the weekends - hopefully I don't get too addicted to those the way I got addicted to hyper-turbos

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:16 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Be careful, PLO can be highly addictive
Oh wait ...

Still sounds like fun!!!

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
PLOmaHa haha ... the First 1,000 Hands - it's Been a Real Lollercoaster

Featuring a Table Appearance by PSO Pro Dag Palovic

Well, so I've been on this ride before Here was my start at 2nl after moving over from STTs:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Blog&p=349014

So on the one hand, I guess it's nice to be break-even. And since I was able to learn to be profitable at NL cash games, perhaps there's hope that the same can happen at PLO?

Thing is I'm so into nl Zoom, I haven't been reading up on PLO at all, so I don't know what I'm doing, and there isn't much hope of things changing much either if I'm not putting in any time or effort, eh?

But it's been fun so far - lots of action!! And there was even a PSO Pro playing at the $0.02/$0.01 tables tonight - I guess he's just trying to learn like the rest of us, but I got so nervous when he popped up at the table, my clock timed out and got auto-folded

Here's a screencap of the table - I left my HUD stats in, because it's probably already obvious I'm doing something wrong ... and playing too loose might be part of the problem I suppose

The biggest thing I've learned so far was from an article I had from before, that the goal of PLO is to:

- like try to make boats, flushes, straights, or at worst sets ... but be careful of 2pr or TPTK because it's not that strong?

- and try to draw to the nuts - because it's not uncommon for people to have a lot of big hands like boats, flushes and straights, and you can lose a lot by having the second best hand?

I've seen that happen a lot - to me, and to other people by me. Lately I've started trying to up my standards for getting stacks in, but I think it's too early to tell if I'm still being too loose, so I guess I'll have to keep going and see? And hopefully maybe I'll be able to find some time to read more stuff on PLO?

Will share what I find - if anybody has any interesting resources, feel free to stop by and share!!! GL to anybody else trying to make a go of PLO!!!

Sam

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:30 AM
(#15)
funny graphs esp with the roller coaster, you can do it Sam

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:24 AM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey nothing wrong with break-even when learning a new game. That's pretty damn good!

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
hey sam, i regularly play .25/.50 6-max plo...if u ever need any help with anything in your game, pm me and i can hash out any of ur problems!

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
lol - thx everybody!!

Lots of fun, even though I don't know what I'm doing

When I started this blog, guess I thought there'd be a ton of 'how-to' guides online for how to go from no-limit holdem to pot-limit omaha ... but surprisingly there's hardly anything. And then what little I've found has been pretty vague

So trying to play PLO sort of felt like like wandering around lost in a forest somewhere The dealer made things look no so bad by letting me win a collosal pot right before I hit 1,000 hands lol - but most of my time so far seems to have been spent under the breakeven mark

But I keep hoping that maybe there's something out there that'll lay all the steps out more clearly, like it might just be a matter of putting in the time to go look for it and find it? I guess maybe that's what I'll try next, and hopefully I'll be able to find something helpful. Hard to find the time though, because most of the time I feel like playing nl zoom ... and then when I don't feel like playing nl zoom, I usually feel like rewatching my training videos on nl zoom (like tonight). Maybe over the holidays or something

And if that doesn't pan out, maybe I'll try to find some common trouble spots and post them here and stuff Nice to see you still checking in ketchup!! Hadn't seen a blog from u in a while - glad to hear you're still finding places to play and stuff!!

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
(#19)
I found this post helpful when I started to play Omaha. It's written by an old member who is no longer around.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...r+wanted+teach

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
I found this post helpful when I started to play Omaha. It's written by an old member who is no longer around.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...r+wanted+teach

Hey Joy!!

Any luck at the PLO tables? Hopefully it's going better for you than it's gone for me so far

Poncho was a little before my time, but I've seen his posts quoted a lot, so I remember him ... and his doggie avi Also, there's not a lot of us that write those 4ft-long posts, so that's special too

Thanks so much for the link!! I really enjoyed my study time today!! Very much missed that when I got all into getting my volume in, but I've been learning tons by rewatching my vids. So it'd be nice to learn more stuff about PLO too ... maybe I could try reading a bit a day and see how that goes, or something? Just some baby steps to start

You have any fun/interesting hands or anything? Sometimes the results can seem so random, like when somebody's played a hand like KK64 rainbow, and then makes a boat when the board comes 66QJ4 or whatever ... like the danglers wind up winning them a monster pot? lol ... I guess that's all part of the fun, eh?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com