Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Posted this on PocketFives forum.

Old
Posted this on PocketFives forum. - Tue Oct 16, 2012, 08:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi all

I was wondering if anbody would suggest some good reading material related to the opening range versus the number of players at a table.

I have noticed a significant change between 6 seater tables and 10 seater tables.

Is there a scale to adopt different ranges of hands when the number of players start to drop off at a table?

I would appreciate some feedback.
thx

I posted this on Pocketfives forum yesterday.
Not one reply. I had several readers.......but not one reply.

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Don't know of any book that addresses that specific topic, but perhaps others do. I'm thinking ranges might be more player style oriented. For example, I have the list of the generic advice for each group. On a nine or ten player table, I'll consider playing groups one through four. With six players, I expand that to group five.

If your style is tighter, you might reduce that range to the top three. If you play a more aggressive game, you might play grop five right away.

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...lop-essentials

There is a chart in this cash game article that may help as a starting point. This is for cash games when you have a good stack, depending on your stack size and form of poker this could change.

If you were playing 6max you would start by looking at MP if you were UTG.

Last edited by 73REX73; Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
If you use Holdem Manager/ Pokertracker or any similar software this records the VPiP and PFR of any player (including you). VPiP is how often they enter the pot and PFR is Pre Flop Raise. You can filter both software's for 6 max, 10 max or however many players and the software will automatically change to however many players are at a table.

Both pieces of software are VERY powerful and not for the faint hearted but you can use this information to pick apart any player in your database.

There's another piece of free software called www.pokerstove.com where you can enter these numbers and get a range for what their playing. ie. a 5% PFR is only raising premiums while many that I play in Limit STTs have a VPiP of 50%+ which is any 2 suited cards and more.

Understanding these numbers isn't an exact science. Players change their game and for you also it's wise to mix up your play ie. limp with AKs the odd time or throw a bluff in with 32o and don't be scared to be caught.

Rather than spending $25 on a book, spend the extra on Holdem Manager, the low stakes version only costs around $60.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com