Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder

Old
bankroll builder - Tue Oct 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi,

I have'nt deposited yet,
but already passed a few quizzes,
don't remember which

am I eligible?

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi N0tPenysBoat!

Welcome to the forum. We will advise within 24 hours as to whether you are eligible for this promotion or not.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tPenysBoat View Post
Hi,
I have'nt deposited yet,
but already passed a few quizzes,
don't remember which
am I eligible?
Hi N0tPenysBoat,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Replay - Tue Oct 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
(#4)
Thanks guys

here's a hand I played at the open league freeroll earlier,
would love to hear your thoughts on it

I think I should've check/call the river maybe...

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 03:27 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks guys
here's a hand I played at the open league freeroll earlier,
Hi N0tPenysBoat,

Thanks for posting and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to have a look at this for you.

Remember to also play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi N0tPenysBoat!

The key to the league games is to survive as long as possible so that a player can accumulate more league points. I want to do that by never playing any marginal hands, especially when I'm out of position or if it's early in the tourney. The first few levels of one, if I don't have AK or QQ+, I'm mucking it, as the risk is nowhere near worth the reward.

One of the largest chip leaks that players have is playing too many hands from the blinds. They think that because they already have chips in the pot, they can play more hands... where really the exact opposite is true because of being out of position the rest of the hand, which is a HUGE disadvantage.
Playing any A or any suited cards from them are normally where players run into trouble, as the aces with a bad kicker or random suited cards should be mucked preflop here. Due to that, I'm folding preflop.

If I was in the hand (which would never happen with these cards, especially in a league game), with a straight possible already and bottom pair, I'm going to check the flop here and hope to see the turn for free.

The turn gives me trip 3's and I would now lead out for my standard value bet of 1/2 pot (100) and now the opp makes an almost pot-sized raise. Based on the previous betting and being out of position, I have absolutely no idea whether or not I have the best hand. The opp could have checked the straight hoping to trap me, could have a 3 with a better kicker, or could have any other combination of cards (draw, pair, two pair, etc). Due to this and facing a large bet, especially in a league game, I'm mucking. It's never worth taking a chance early in a league game. If it was a cash tourney, I'd have called and saw the river, but not in a league game.

The river is a blank and I've got two choices. I can lead out or check and see what the opp does. In a cash tourney, I'd lead out and size my bet at my standard value bet size (1/2 pot).. however, this is almost 1/2 my chips left, so I'd shove the river. Making plays like this is why when playing tourneys, I make sure that I follow strict bankroll managment (100+ buy-ins before I'll play a level of tourney). I need to have this many buy-ins to cover the variance that I'll see in the games. In a cash tourney, it's worth the risk. In a league game, it is NEVER worth taking ANY risk early.

League game strategy is different from what I would want to use in a cash tourney or at a cash table. The one and only goal in them is to obtain as many league points as possible for the monthly standings and I'll do whatever I need to in order to do so.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
(#7)
Hey John,

Thanks for the informative response

I get what you're saying about tightening up in league games but have a few questions:

a. There were 3 limpers already in the pot, so I'm completing 20
in SB to a pot of 200. Don’t I get the correct odds to call
here with any 2 cards?

b. On the turn, I'm thinking my opp' could be raising me with
hands I beat (like pairs 55,77-AA, or draws) Vs only 4 hands
that beat me (52,57,66,44)

c. Wasn’t really worried about the 3x hands because the
probability of my opp' holding the only 3 left in the deck is
pretty slim no?

Thanks!

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
(#8)
Thanks raiser

Here's a hand from the play money tables,
where I wasn't sure about the river value bet size

Also attended both live training sessions

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Hey John,

Thanks for the informative response

I get what you're saying about tightening up in league games but have a few questions:

a. There were 3 limpers already in the pot, so I'm completing 20
in SB to a pot of 200. Don’t I get the correct odds to call
here with any 2 cards?

b. On the turn, I'm thinking my opp' could be raising me with
hands I beat (like pairs 55,77-AA, or draws) Vs only 4 hands
that beat me (52,57,66,44)

c. Wasn’t really worried about the 3x hands because the
probability of my opp' holding the only 3 left in the deck is
pretty slim no?

Thanks!
Hi N0tPenysBoat!

a) In a league game there is never a spot where I want to be involved with any marginal hand early... regardless of any pot odds. The risk (losing league points) will never be worth the reward (extra chips). The only goal in a league game is to accumulate as many league points for the monthly leaderboard and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize my standings.

Even if this was a cash tourney, 38s is not a strong enough hand. I need to have a hand with enough equity to justify the call and this isn't one of them. If it was a suited connector, so that I had flush and straight possibilities, then I would call in a cash tourney. Just because cards are suited doesn't mean that it's a good hand.

b) If there is a possibility that I'm behind.. due to this being a league game, there is not a scenario where it's worth any risk early in a game. I need to survive as long as possible to accumulate league points.

c) Even if it's one hand, until I get to even (0 league points for the game), I do not want to take any chances, even if it's one hand that the opp could have in their range.

League games are totally different from any other type of game and therefore need to be played with a different strategy.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
(#10)
got it. thanks

also completed basic course + quiz

Old
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
got it. thanks
also completed basic course + quiz
Hi N0tPenysBoat,

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

Also, please attend an 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training session. This should help too.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
(#12)
Hi,

attend the 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training session

and here is a hand I found difficult:
was pretty sure I had the best hand there
but played it passively to avoid inflating the pot
eventually folded the river when opp' (who was very loose but
not so much aggressive) bet all 3 streets
what do you think?

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi N0tPenysBoat,

Thanks for posting. I'll ask one of the hand analysers to review this for you. Once he does this we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
Hi N0t,

It's kind of a feel situation... we have to be good 1 time in 3 (roughly) to break even on a call here and with the villain firing a decent size on the river we're probably not, so folding is fine. You might want to consider raising the weak flop lead as at that point in the hand it looks like you may well be ahead and could possible take it down right there or be charging ace highs to try and draw out on you. If you raise the flop and he reraises it's an easy fold imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 AM
(#15)
ok. thanks!

Old
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 04:53 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
ok. thanks!
Hi N0tPenysBoat,

Now your ready to study the Cash Game course. Spend some time studying the content of this course and this will help you greatly.

When you feel you are ready have a go at attempting the quiz. Let me know once you have passed it we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#17)
Hi,

passed the cash quiz,
whats next?

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
passed the cash quiz,
whats next?
Excellent!

Now that you have passed the quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money tables only on PokerStars. Do not play higher buy-ins than this until instructed to do so. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as we will credit you with another should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

When you've done all this we will move you onto the next stage. Well done on the progress so far!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Sat Oct 27, 2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#19)
Thanks Raiser!

This is actually my second buy-in (after tripling my first one)

And already attended the 'Getting Started at PokerStars', 'Bet Sizing' and 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training sessions

Any other instructions?

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks Raiser!
This is actually my second buy-in (after tripling my first one)
And already attended the 'Getting Started at PokerStars', 'Bet Sizing' and 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training sessions
Any other instructions?
Hi N0tPenysBoat,

Thanks and your right, I meant your second buy-in

I'll advise on the next step tomorrow!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com