Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

mjmagz BANKROLL BUILDER

Old
mjmagz BANKROLL BUILDER - Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
I just recently passed the Poker Basics course before I came upon the advertisement regarding the Bankroll Builder promotion. I would like to ask the steps I should take to avail of this promotion.

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete guide of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

For a complete overview of the steps in this promotions please >>click here<<

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 04:07 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 07:28 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
I will be looking forward for my eligibility for this promotion. I am thrilled to be receiving a $2 buy-in. I hope I can fully avail the promotion.

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:21 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mjmagz,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend one each of the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' and 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions. You'll find these sessions daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:18 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I continued to play with this weak hand because I was in the blinds and want to see the flop cheap if ever the BB will not raise. I was really tempted to see the turn and river because I flopped a gut shot straight draw. I wonder if what I did was too risky. Fortunately, I got to complete my hand at the river.

I am scheduled to attend the live training later. Thanks for allowing me in this promotion.

Last edited by mjmagz; Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mjmagz!

Playing too many hands from the blinds (because it doesn't cost much) is one of the largest chip leaks that many players have. In reality, due to having to play the entire hand out of position, a player should be much, much tighter in the blinds than from other positions at the tables.
23o from the SB is a hand that I'm going to muck here. If I did want to play it (which I won't against multiple opponents) then I would make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper and I would never call here. The way to look at being in the SB is this.... if I won't raise with the hand, then I should not call with it.

The flop gives me a gutshot straight draw. I'm going to check here and hope that the others check behind so that I can maybe get a free card to get a 5. If any opp bets, it's an instant fold for me, as I will never get the correct pot odds to call.

The turn pairs the board and I'm in the same situation. I've currently got the absolute worst hand anyone can have, as there is not a single combination of cards that I can beat. I'm going to check again and hope that I get to see the river for free and if any opp bets, it's an instant fold due to the pot odds. I only want to draw at something if I have the correct pot odds to do so.

The river is a miracle card.. BUT.. with the board paired, I do NOT have the nuts. I want to make a value bet, but I do not want to shove as if I do, the only hands that should call me are a full house or quads... so I'll fold out all of the hands that I beat and lose value due to it. I will size my bet here at between 1/2 and 3/4 the size of the pot.. something the opp could call with a worse hand than mine.

Playing marginal-at-best hands, especially out of position, is one of the easiest ways in hold'em to lose a bankroll. It's something that I try to avoid at all costs, as I will lose chips on average every single time that I get involved in something like this.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thank you for your analysis. Actually, it took me several hands after that to realize that what I did was a mistake and I just got lucky. Sometimes, I have this tendency to gamble things, but I think playing poker needs a great deal of discipline. That is why I am trying to change the way I play. Taking into consideration all the things that I have learned from the courses, I think I am on my way in earning for a stronger bank roll. PokerSchoolOnline really improved my play.

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Please let me know when you have attended the live trainings and since you've passed the Basic Assessment, we'll move you onto the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I just recently finished the live trainings "Getting Started" and "Bet Sizing" under Langolier. What would be my next step under this promotion?

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mjmagz!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

Also, please attend an 'Entering a Cash Game Pot' live training session. This should help too.

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:44 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
I am looking forward in receiving my first $2 buy-in. I currently finished attending Entering a Cash Game Pot still under Langolier.

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
That was fast. I didn't need the whole 24hours just to receive my first $2. I received it just minutes after I accomplished all required steps. Thanks. I'm on my way in using it.

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
The Bad News is I lost my $2 bankroll.

Around 450-500 Hands dealt, I earned 5.31 VPPs.

I was off at a good start doubling my bankroll to about more than twice the initial amount. I would like to think I was on a roll that time.

I thought at one point that I need to protect my initial buy-in because my bankroll slowly decreases with the hands I folded at the big raises of my opponents. I left the table and entered another one, this time I left the $2 in my account and went to play with the excess. All was good again, and I started to slowly increase my bankroll. Unfortunately, there was a time that my hands would be strong, but I'll fold them at the river because of being afraid for my opponent completing their draws whenever they raise at the river. Series of good hands being folded in the river cost me too much that I needed to re-buy using the $2 I kept away. Unfortunately, the happening still continued until I was down around half a dollar. Nonetheless, I didn't give up and had a good share of good luck and good plays that I was able to regain all that I have lost. I had increased my bank roll at about 3 1/2 dollar. Poor me, big stack opponents came into the table and would almost always scare me off at the river again. There was this time that I dared to consider it a bluff that I lost much chips because they were really able to complete their draws. I never play weak hands, but lost was too high against my wins. It was almost like nobody wants to fight with me when I raise, but I would call them with their raises and eventually got afraid at the river. I lost chips that way.

I finished the all the live trainings, but I'm not yet able to pass the cash game quiz. I lacked time and was only able to answer 17 questions. I had about 11 questions right. I'm looking forward to passing it after 6 hours.

I really think I should have finished this steps first so that I could have had a $4 initial bank roll, but then again I could have lost it all altogether. It was better that I learned my lesson for the first buy-in.

I'm hoping to get better with the next. Anyways, I might reach the 10VPPs with the next buy-in and earn me some more buy-ins. I hope that through this promotion I can build a strong bankroll without needing to deposit my own money. I do really hope so.

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mjmagz!

Before you do anything else, you need to post one of the hands that you had a problem playing or that you lost the money with. This has to be done before any other step in the process.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I just recently started saving my hand history into my desktop. I wasn't really able to save my hands, but fortunately I was able to save one.

This one was one of the biggest pots in that session.

I would also like to inform you that I was able to pass the Cash Game Quiz. I was really aiming to perfect the quiz, but I doubted my answers in 4-5 questions. Fortunately, I was able to score 17/20.

I also finished all live trainings.

If I'm qualified to continue on the program, I would be glad to reach that 10VPPs for the extra buy-ins. I hope that this time I can make my bankroll stronger.

While studying for the Cash Game Quiz, I realized that there were still many mistakes that I was doing. As I have discussed before, I should have just left the table when there were many big stacks that were bullying the shorter stacks like me. I really need to play on tables that I thin can give me profit given the nature of the players playing on it.

I would like to thank PokerSchoolOnline for giving me a chance in your promotion. It will really help to be ready for the cash games. I hope that I learned enough to become a profitable player.

Old
Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:46 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Am I still eligible to continue with this promotion? What else do I need to do to avail of the next $2 buy-in? I hope I can still continue with the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Sun Oct 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
(#17)
(Head Trainer)
Hi mjm,

First, just fold preflop. KJo is way too weak to be playing from UTG in a full ring game. Second, if you are going to play and are first in the pot, generally open for a raise to take the initiative and put pressure on opponents.

Post flop I think your play is fine. Your hand is too strong to fold given the situation, but not really strong enough to raise either, especially without reads. So I don't mind simply calling in position. It keeps him barreling with worse kings, semi-bluffing flush draws, and earning you value from any pure bluffs in his range, while mitigating the damage to your stack vs. KQ or 8x. Unlucky river but vs. his range as a whole the way this hand played out, I think you played this one fine.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mjmagz!

Congrats on passing the course. The next buy-in will be credited to your account within the next 24 hours. Remember to use the information learned in the course and training sessions when you use this buy-in to play the 1/2 cent full ring tables ONLY.
Playing any other type of format will prevent you from being able to receive any additional buy-ins from this promotion.

Good luck at the tables and please let us know what happens while playing, especially if there are any hands that you have problems with or lose the buy-in with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:33 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
I received my second $2 buy-in already. I'll be posting hands that I had the hard time. I do really hope that this $2 won't go to waste. Thanks again!

I need to reach 10VPPs to have the next amounts, right?

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:40 AM
(#20)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagz View Post
I need to reach 10VPPs to have the next amounts, right?

Hi mjmagz,

There's a couple of ways you can earn your next buy-in.

1) Play some real money 1/2 cent tables and post your hands for review. If you lose the buy-in and post the hand(s) where you lost the money we will award you with another buy-in to get you going again.

2) Play some real money 1/2 cent tables and post your hands for review. If you earn 10 Vpp's after getting your last buy-in we will automatically reward you with another buy-in.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com