Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Hand #1 vs Villain2

Old
Hand #1 vs Villain2 - Thu Oct 18, 2012, 05:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Vijjj

Last edited by rule110; Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 06:05 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 06:46 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
If he's playing almost every hand preflop and calling all raises then he's perfect to raise for value in the attempt to isolate. You haven't said how he was playing post-flop which is very important when playing against ATC (any two cards).

These villains tend to either play fit or fold, which means your almost always cbetting with the aim of take down around 2/3 of the pots, obviously having position on these villains makes it even easier.

You will however find some of them are calling station post-flop and will take bottom pair to showdown even after a 3rd barrel. If they are one of these then you never want to cbet bluff them. You just want to check/fold when you miss and wait for the times you hit. To maximise your profits against these villains you want to be betting big when you've hit. Don't be scared of making a pot size bets with TPTK on all streets, you will be surprised at how often they turn over top pair with a lower kicker or even a worse pair. Also if you have seen them take bottom pair to showdown after 3 barrels then think about thin value betting with your 2nd pairs. Be careful if these villains raise or re-raise you. As a default it often means a lot of strength (donk bet = top pair or better, re-raise = 2 pair or better) unless they prove otherwise.

So to some up, these players are very profitable to play against as long as you recognise how they play postflop, and the good thing about them is they play so many flops you can get a good read on them after an orbit or two. Just remember never cbet a calling station unless it's for value, I've lost more money than I'll like to remember trying to bluff a calling station!

Looking at this hand, without any other reads than him playing all cards preflop, I would make a standard cbet on this flop, but once he calls I wouldn't expect him to fold on the turn, if anything the turn card has improve his hand if he was on a straight draw. The 8 is still top pair, so if he has an eight or an overpair he's not folding. Also if he is calling with second or bottom pair I don't think any card coming out on the turn or river would make him fold as I would label him a calling station. I would therefore check the turn and peel off a free card hoping to hit one of my overcards. The river brings a K and he donks into you after you've shown strength on every other street. This is a scare card to a lot of your betting range, but I wouldn't expect someone playing ATC to be ranging you, and for that reason I would fold to his river bet. If you have any other reads on this villain, like he bluffs a lot on river when overcards comes out, then sure a call or even raise could be a good play. But without reads it's a fold 100% of the time with Q high.

Nice win, just be careful if you get to showdown after 3 streets of bluffing. If anyone at the table is paying attention they will start calling you down very light.

Last edited by Kedan87; Thu Oct 18, 2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 07:07 AM
(#3)
rigged analysis tyvm

Last edited by rule110; Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 06:16 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi Rule101

I would not be looking to bluff an opponent who called a lot . I did not read the above post in full so you will have to forgive me if I am repetitious.

Playing a hand like QTo has a lot of value against the opponent as described. Against a tight-aggressive player QT can often be a loser, as it suffers from being dominated by too many hands and not having enough high card strength. But against a player like this who we can value bet with confidence anytime we hit a Q or a T, it because a great 'top pair flopping' hand.

So that's really what my plan against this type of opponent is all about, flopping a pair and making value bets. He doesn't fold after all, what's the point in a bluff?

Your river play is pretty inspired... but I don't know if it was genius or madness

I am inclined to think a bit of both. You said it yourself -- he calls a lot -- so how did you know he would fold once he bet out on the river? I certainly wouldn't know that.

I would not be bluffing too much against him which means that I would probably be taking free cards with my QT as best I could, hoping to improve to a straight draw or a top pair. Giving up the occasional pot to his junk is going to be a small price to pay compared to how often we will be paid off by his calling tendencies.

Well done though -- you bluffed a calling station -- sometimes a tall task

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:15 AM
(#5)
idk mayb

Last edited by rule110; Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 06:16 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com