Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Hand #4 vs Villain2

Old
Hand #4 vs Villain2 - Thu Oct 18, 2012, 06:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Villa

Last edited by rule110; Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:08 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
I like you raise preflop when he limps, but then his min-raise back at you normal means a lot of strength preflop. More often than not this is KK or AA at 2NL. Although you have stated that he was showing signs of tilt. If I believe this is a good read, then against a calling station that won't fold and on tilt I'm 4 betting him here for value hoping he goes crazy and raises me again so I can get all-in.

The way you played it, you miss the flop so you check and he makes a small cbet. It's very difficult to play this hand out of position with just high cards as you have no idea if your ahead or not. Do you have any reads on this guy’s betting post flop when checked to, have you seen him bluff in this situation? If not I would have to rely on the out of me hitting one of my cards. Using the 2 and 4 rule you have 6 outs giving you 12% to hit on the turn. With him raising $0.12 into a pot of $0.37 you have to make a call worth 20% with only 12% equity, so I'm folding here.

Again on the turn you check as you miss and he makes another small cbet this time for $0.10 in $0.61. This screams weakness but you know he's a calling station so raising him will not get him to fold. He may have a small pocket pair here so I'm reluctant to raise for value, but calling the $0.10 raise is only 12% and this time you have picked up extra outs from the 7 and 8 which will give you 2 pair with top kicker. So this would be a call for me.

The river pairs the 7 and gives me 2 pair with top kicker so I just sucked out on him if he has a small pocket pair. I still wouldn't raise here as it's not that strong, but I would call his $0.30 and hope for the best. You only have to be right 1 in 8 times to break even so go for it.

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Rule101

To be honest I really think you just got lucky here. Your opponent has to have exactly QT or KT for you to win, it seems to me. You call the limp-reraise... that's fine I think given your read. But this just isn't the board to fight it out on, its middling and connected. A ton of weak hands have you beat at every stage.

If you thought he was full of it check-raising the turn seems worse than check-calling by a wide margin. He will fold his bluffs and continue with every hand that beats you with the exception of those bare T hands. Most of the time we are lighting money on fire with a turn check-raise. He is tilting equals we don't have much fold equity, and therefore should never expect him to fold a better hand. In terms of worse hands, well there aren't that many of those at this point on this board.

I would not be making this call down versus this player because I would never get to the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com