Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

hey

Old
hey - Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
SilverStar
is it ok to make a shove like that over so many limpers with a stack like mine. it is a leauge game

Old
sorry - Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
(#2)
SilverStar
sorry about title but i posted it whilst playing 7 tables

Old
Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi danan758!

This is a great example of where a normal cash tournament strategy and a league game strategy differ greatly.

If it was a cash tourney, with three limpers and chips in the pot worth over 1/2 my stack, I'm going to shove my less than 10BB with AJ in position and hope to isolate one of the limpers (or if I get lucky and they all fold, I gain 57% to my stack without a fight).

However, in a league game, this is a totally different situation that must be handled differently.

At this blind level, I'm not ITM yet in this tournament and I may or may not be in positive points yet. This is crucial information, as the one and only goal in any league game is to accumulate as many points as possible to raise my league score for the month-end standings.

If I am not in positive points yet, this will be an instant fold for me, as I could easily be behind and I do not want all of my chips in the pot (unless I'm blinded in) without being currently ahead and also ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

If I am in positive points (not likely), then I'm still not going to jam preflop here, as I do not know that I currently have the best hand, let alone after all 5 cards are on the board. Due to this, I'm still folding here. I do not want all my chips in unless I currently have the best hand and with this being a league game, I can't even guarantee that, if I get a J high flop (the one and only flop I'd consider jamming).

Once I'm in positive points, then I'm looking to play and get my chips in only when I'm currently ahead and any of these limpers could have a bigger ace or any pocket pair, all hands that I'm behind.

The key to league games is to play extremely cautious and to never take chances, even on a low stack. It's better to blind out and last longer than to take a chance in a marginal situation, even if it's a +EV spot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
thanks - Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
(#4)
SilverStar
well i was kinda thinking the same thing here i was like ranked just over 700/<1050 ended up at 1004

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com