Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Advice on taking shots and what to expect?

Old
Advice on taking shots and what to expect? - Sat Oct 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
So I have been battling away at the lowest of stakes for quite some time now and overall my success has been pretty good. Along the way I've had a failed shot at 5nl, but I've learned lots and my game has definately improved. I've noticed that I'm much better at zoom than regular tables not sure why this is but my winrate is substantially better on the zoom tables so for now I shall stick to it.

Below you can see my graph and associated stats for 2nl, I think it's fair to say that I'm beating 2nl and I feel ready to move up.

As some of you might know I recently had about 3 weeks off playing due to unforseen circumstances. Since coming back I've been playing reasonably well, I have been going over and solidifying the basics in my game. In the past any prolongned length of time away from the table has ultimately resulted in worse play on my part when I return. I thus decided solidifying the basics of my game would be a good way to ensure this didn't happen and it has worked.

So my question is, should I wait a little while longer until I have fully settled back into playing, or should I sieze the day and take my shot at the beggining of this next week? (seems like a good time since Gareth is running two classes on taking shots, even if it is at 100nl)

Also I was wondering if any one can give me some info as to how/if there is much change between 2nl and 5nl. I've been told in the past that people stack of so much lighter at 2nl so I should probably look out for that but I was wondering if there is anything else people have noticed?

Thanks

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Last edited by Croyd93; Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: To enter links as pictures are small.

Old
Sun Oct 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Bump..

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Also I was wondering if any one can give me some info as to how/if there is much change between 2nl and 5nl. I've been told in the past that people stack of so much lighter at 2nl so I should probably look out for that but I was wondering if there is anything else people have noticed?
Hey, Oliver

I wonder if maybe other people feel like I do, that like I've only moved up this one stake ... and then I've only played about 18,000 hands, so I'm not even sure yet if I've moved up for sure, permanently. Like it could still be a work in progress for all I know?

And then, I don't know if maybe everybody's experiences are different? Depending on whether we're running lucky or not so lucky, or depending on our style of play, and who knows what else?

But I did this thing before I moved up that maybe you might find helpful to do too as like a cheap way to get a better sense of what play might be like up at 5nl compared to 2nl before seriously giving it a shot? Sometimes I used to buy into 5nl and just watch people play to try and see how different things were ... like I wouldn't fold until the action got to me, and then I'd click on the eye in the corner (if you have that feature turned on) so I could see the hand play out? And then sometimes I'd pause the action and rewatch the hand even, make notes of stuff I wanted to learn more of.

And then I'd just stay for like an hour or so ... which would be like 50 hands (lol!). So like, I'd have to pay the blinds, which would be $0.50 or whatever. And then I'd play AA, KK, or AKs if I got them, so sometimes it'd be even less.

Also, there's a live training video where Gareth went to play 5nl, that I downloaded that you can see here: http://www.mejuba.com/albums/TrustySam/126062/4750096/1

Well for sure the vid's great for learning, but maybe it's also good for seeing how 5nl might be different from 2nl, without even having to pay that 50 cents of blinds to go sit and watch?

Hopefully that helps - GL!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Oct 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: Changed stuff :D

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com