Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Best line with KQ?

Old
Best line with KQ? - Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I could not decide where to pause this hand for each subsequent decision - it ran out in my favour but I felt I did something wrong along the way - one of those you win but only because the opp is weird and I kind of think I might be in trouble here a lot of the time.

Any thoughts on a better line at each stage would be welcome.

Ed

Old
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
N1 Ed! Im not a 6maxer, but I like these blind vs blind spots. Any reads on the villian? Here's my take at any rate:

Preflop and flop - standard. Nice and aggressive

Turn - good card for you. You bet pretty large 1.40 into a 1.60 pot on a pretty connected board. I would have probably bet about 1.00 hoping to keep weaker hands in. The min-reraise is scary, since there are a ton of hands in his range that are crushing you. Secondly, the pot is getting big. It is about equal to what he still has behind. I am probably going to make a choice now. If I think I am ahead, I will just put him all in. If I think he is crushing me then I'll fold now. Reads would help here, but Im probably 3-bet shoving this spot.

River - Now the board is really wet. I don't like the limp call. If you intend on calling him off, then I would have lead out with a raise. I build the pot assuming I'm ahead. If I think Im behind, but intend on calling, then I would lead out with a smallish blocker bet. The only reason to check the river is if you plan on folding to a raise.

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ed,

I think your play is fine in this hand. Prelfop flop and turn bets are good. While a turn raise is normally scary, blind vs. blind is a bit of a different beast. Reads would be nice.

But blind v blind people will be getting out of line bluffing and semi-bluffing more often, and overvaluing Ax hands, as well as obviously raising any Q for value, most of which we beat (villain never expects us to have a Q here). Considering that blind v blind I expect the villain to have a larger than normal distribution of bluffs here, I like calling his raise and check-calling the river just fine, give him a chance to follow through on a river bluff. We still get full value from Qx because he's jamming those as well. If he's got just an ace, maybe he calls a bet and maybe he checks it behind if we check, which is an argument for betting, so a nice alternative line is to bet small planning to call a raise (which gets us certain value from Ax while still leaving him room to jam his bluffs over what will look a bit like a scared blocking bet).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
River - Now the board is really wet. I don't like the limp call. If you intend on calling him off, then I would have lead out with a raise. I build the pot assuming I'm ahead. If I think Im behind, but intend on calling, then I would lead out with a smallish blocker bet. The only reason to check the river is if you plan on folding to a raise.
Hi Roland,

Some term snafus here... "wet" means draw heavy, on the river there are no draws. The board is somewhat scary now, but not wet. And limp refers to calling the bb preflop, we aren't calling here we are checking, and you are recommending leading out with a bet. Check/fold is not the only reason to check the river, sometimes check/call can be good to induce bluffs, and this situation is one where the villain may well be bluffing a bit more often than normal. It doesn't seem like the villain should be bluffing here but people go crazy blind vs. blind quite a bit. Reads would certainly help.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com