Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Rule of 2 and 4 Question

Old
Rule of 2 and 4 Question - Thu Oct 25, 2012, 04:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
If one player holds AK, the other holds QQ on a flop of K34 (no flush draws)

If I understand the rule correctly QQ has 2 outs I need to multiply by 4. So AK is a big favorite to win the hand and QQ has only about 8%.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 05:13 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
Yes that is correct

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner358 View Post
If I understand the rule correctly QQ has 2 outs I need to multiply by 4. So AK is a big favorite to win the hand and QQ has only about 8%.
Is this correct?
Thanks
Hi,

Absolutely correct

For those who haven't heard about the 'Rule of Two & Four' yet here's a quick explanation

Once the flop has come out count your outs. In the example above it's 2 Queens. Multiply that number by 4 to get your percentage chance of making the hand on the turn.

Then if we don't hit it on the Turn multiply it by 2 to get your percentage chance of making the hand on the River.

As always there's many other things to observe and watch but using this rule is very useful as you play your drawing hands.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner358 View Post

Is this correct?

Thanks

There is just one problem with you scenario. You know what the opponent's hand is. Makes it easy to figure out if your hand is a winner or not. In any game, you have no firm indication what your opponent has. When you're in a hand like this, you have 11 cards that can improve your hand. (3-aces, 2-kings, 3-threes, and 3-fours)

Sounds good until the opponent calls your bet, or raises you. In that situation, you may have lost two of your out, or the player has a straight draw. (ace-deuce, deuce-5, or 5-6)

Now he has eight draws to improve while you have eleven. A lot tighter hand than initially thought.

What I'm getting to, is that knowing how many outs can improve your hand gives you an indication of your hand's strength. It is just one factor in your decision to either call or reraise your opponent.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com