Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

I want to become a very good player

Old
I want to become a very good player - Thu Oct 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
Hi this is my first post, I have been playing poker on/off for a while not really understanding the game but I now want to learn how to play like the pros as I love the game. What is the best advice anyone can give me on the best way to learn how to play properly thank in advance for any help

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 07:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Try your hardest not to be a fish.!!
Play as much as you can, and after 100's of thousands of hands if you break even you have done pretty well.
Good Luck
chuckkky

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 07:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Obviously the game doesn't come naturally to Chuckky

Seriously, watch some videos in the Library, ask lots of dumb questions, post some hands for analysis, attend Live Training...and just ask loads of questions.

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
My suggestions:

1 --- watch the video training sessions

2 --- practice on the play chip side

3 --- play as many freeroll games as possible, applying the lessons

4 --- study your hands, learn why you won or lost (hardest part here is admitting you goofed)

5 --- correct errors by watching videos on that point (having troubles on a specific point, check the library we have here, bet there's something to address it.)

6 --- repeat points 2 through 5

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
(#5)
Hi DBM1986. Welcome to the forum. There are lots of resources here at PSO to help you become a better player.

There ae three steps to becoming good poker player. Study: there is lots of material available on this site alone. Play: PokerStars has the widest selection of game types and buy in levels. Critique your play: find your mistakes and less than optimal plays, so you can improve.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 01:34 PM
(#6)
Thank you all for that - There seems to be loads of videos to go through I just dunno which ones to go through first which ones would you suggest as a good starting point?

Last edited by DBM1986; Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
My first suggestion is to start with the basics:

1 --- learn hand groups and basic strategy

2 --- learn how and when to bet. (based on everything the members here say, never use the call button)

3 --- check out your game (ring, zoom, MTT, SNG, or STT)

Master these before going into specific areas such as "final table play," "bubble," or "head to head." But above all, get experience by playing the game. You eventually have to apply the lessons before you can get better.

IMPORTANT:
Remember, the RNG is random, so if a hand can lose, it just might. Take those bad losses and accept them. Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
(#8)
Well, that is a very good question, for your second question!!!!!!!

The first ones should be on Bankroll Management, or there is a very basic one on Youtube which lasts about 2 minutes, by Chris Ferguson (which says it all really)...and then, when that has fully sunk-in......

If you play cash games...ask someone else..

If you like Tourney and Sit n Go......look up Spacegravy, or Greyson....a set of vids on Sit n Go, i.e. Early Stages, etc...........

Keep the questions coming, and good luck

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
(#9)
Thank you appreciate the help I just watched one vid by spacegravy this man really knows his stuff.

I have played tourneys and SNGs before and like them both can you apply the same tactics spacegravy talks about in the SNG videos in tourneys and still get results or do you need different tactics for each of them?

Also is there any videos on the maths side of things and does it really help improve your game if you know your maths better?

Thanks again for the help

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
(#10)
You really must do the basics, and Bankroll Management.....otherwise you will be fooked.

I use Spacegravy for the the 45 seat SNG, and 90 seat,,,but play a little tighter than he suggests sometimes, early stages.

I havent worked out what to do in Tourneys yet....the Turbo and the longer blinds, are two different games, and I'm not that much of an expert.....so don't take my words as Gospel

Maybe someone more knowledgeable like Cairn can step in here.......

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
(#11)
top of the page, Courses, basic course, Bankroll Management, with a quiz

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
No offense to anyone who posted here, but Bank roll Management is NOT one of the early skills a new players needs to learn. Consider...

The purpose of bank roll management is to MANAGE your money in order to ensure the effects of variance do not knock you OUT OF ACTION before your POSITIVE EXPECTATION has a chance to recoup your losses.

New players rarely have "positive expectation" at a poker table. Positive expectation comes from knowledge of the game, your experience in applying that knowledge. Because they are new, beginners usually are playing at a big disadvantage (unless their opponents are new players as well...or just BAD ones)!

The only thing a new player needs to know to "manage" his money when he does not have positive expectation is:

A) How much can I afford to lose
B) How long do I want to be able to play on the money I have now

Until you improve to the point where you have a positive expectation when you sit at the table, no matter WHAT "bank roll management" you choose to use, you WILL lose all the money you have if you continue playing. You can EXTEND the amount of time it takes to lose all your money by playing smaller stakes with a larger available amount in your Poker Stars "wallet", but just like you'll go broke eventually playing red in roulette, you will go bust-o in poker as a -eV player..

Hopefully that extension will last long enough that you WILL improve to be a positive ev player, but if you spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about "managing" your money INSTEAD of learning and practicing the game, you will not be using your learning time wisely in my opinion.

Learn the game FIRST, then worry about managing your money so you can withstand down swings.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
(#13)
I agree with you 100%, and not causing aggro...but he is not a new player...he says he has been playing a while on/off....

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 05:20 AM
(#14)
Thank you weaslebasher I have looked at the bankroll management video and took that in.

I played a tourney last night and got put out by QQ against my 99... I dunno if I played it right I uploaded it to the forum just waiting to see what ppl have to say but I enjoyed it

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
(#15)
There is a section under MTT's --Hand Analysis, where you can post it, and if you're lucky JWK or one of the experts will talk you through it in detail......

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hi DBM1986

Thanks for making your first post, and welcome to PSO.You may find this link helpful in finding your way around.

Enjoy, and good luck at the tables.

Old
bankroll - Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2010
BR is everything . if u dont have a BR u cant play. the bigger loser u are the bigger BR u need. it will give u a bigger chance to learn a little and maybe be a breakeven player befor u go broke. trust me when i say it is the biggest thing.

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
(#18)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBasher View Post
You really must do the basics, and Bankroll Management.....otherwise you will be fooked.

I use Spacegravy for the the 45 seat SNG, and 90 seat,,,but play a little tighter than he suggests sometimes, early stages.

I havent worked out what to do in Tourneys yet....the Turbo and the longer blinds, are two different games, and I'm not that much of an expert.....so don't take my words as Gospel

Maybe someone more knowledgeable like Cairn can step in here.......
Ah nice, was questioning if Spacegravy video's applyed to 90 seats. This is my 'main' game for now What limit you playing ?

For tourneys i dont do much different than for 90 seats tbh. Early stage people go crazy and hope to catch them with AA/KK/QQ or with a late limp hopeing to catch a str or flush. When the blinds go higher (around 100) and im getting short stacked i try some steals on people to the left. I usually cash 3x my buying with this tactics on the 0,10 tourney. Have yet to get cash in the 0.55

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:09 AM
(#19)
Since: Feb 2011
It's really quite simple, you don't have to be the best. You just have to make less mistakes than your opponents.

Find a game with soft opponents and exploit their mistakes. A chip saved is as good as a chip won. Keep copious amounts of notes and avoid players that are better than you. Table selection is a key and probably the most important choice you can make.

I have a 14% ROI in 6,000 STTs not because I'm a great player but because I play players that are worse than me.

Bankroll is important but it's only important when the money means something to you.

Old
Wed Nov 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#20)
Since: Sep 2011
my recomendation
watch the video's by the langolier. he has great theoretical video's in the archive. also attend live training you can ask questions and learn loads

gl at the tables

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com