Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Did I play this hand right?

Old
Did I play this hand right? - Thu Oct 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011

Old
Thu Oct 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2012
You were very unlucky but I think you might have been a bit too aggressive - the hand was okay-ish but it would have been more playable if you were in a later position, if the double queen guy was before you he would've placed a big bet and you could've sussed he had a good hand then.

Double 9's is a big gamble to bet in a position that early. Although I'm a complete newbie, just my opinion!

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 05:13 AM
(#3)
I did the re-raise only because he had done moves like that before earlier in the game but with less than marginal hands but I agree with you completely now I have slept on it lol.

I could have just laid down and don't think I should have gone all in and risk losing everything with a less than premium pair... lesson learned

Thanks

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Well...my un-expert comment is....

I think your 3x raise was good.....you have a choice of Fold, which you're not going to, Call/limp, but...I think the raise here was good, considering your Early Position, and the Blind levels.

But.........eeesh!!! after that bet pre-flop, I would be binning my nines........as quite likely he has overcards, so that is 10, J, Q, K, A.........hmmmmmm....you could have called...........but you are risking half your stack, if you fold you are still looking pretty......

Had the Blinds been , say 1200/600, I think I would have just gone All-In....

With a bit of luck one of the Hand Analysers will help......

GL, Weasel

Last edited by WeaselBasher; Fri Oct 26, 2012 at 06:31 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:18 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
I like your first raise with 99 in early position, it's a strong hand so I'm always rasing here. When you get re-raise by late position that's when it gets tricky. You mentioned that he had done this before, so it seems as if he's a bit aggro and could be bluffing some of the time. When he did it before did you see anyone 4 bet him, and if so how did he react? If he called an all in light previously it might be worth a go. But even if he has cards as bad as KTo it's still a coinflip. I also don't think you can call his 3bet to set mine as the stacks aren't big enough. So I would have to fold in this spot unless he was a manic that would go all-in with any two cards.

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:27 AM
(#6)
I didn't just want to call because if I did I would be nearly pot committed anyways it would have took me down to just over 10BBs and I thought mu best chance to win would be all in rather than fold. The guy had been playing really loose and had called all ins from other raises with J10os and similar hands I think I was unlucky to run into QQ but agree with you maybe folding wasx the best move here

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#7)
Hey Kedan...I like your answer--you explained it well ....

The thing is, say he called the raise....unless he hit a nine on flop, he would be feeling just a little bit of a dead duck.

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 07:00 AM
(#8)
I'm never calling the 3bet it's always fold or all-in. If the cards were even slightly better with TT or JJ it would be a lot easier to move all-in, but with 99 chances are he's only going all in with 2 overcards, that’s means your 50/50 at best (this would be a good move in the later stages of a tournament, but near the start it's not worth the risk).

With TT+ the villain could be playing JTo or KTo and then you’re a big favour to win the hand. Basically I'm looking for the villain to have at least 1 under card in his range before I'm willing to go all-in early in a tournament, and with 99 I really don't think he has any under cards in his all-in range. If he's a manic or I have TT+ I might be willing to give this a go.

Hey Weasel, glad you like my answer, and I complettely agree with you, thats why it's a all-in or fold for me every time

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
(#9)
hey Kedan....are you a Hand Analyser???? Or what?? You seem to have an air of experience in your posts, and I think it quite likely that you have done the job before......am I correct?

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
(#10)
No I'm not quite that good, but thanks for the compliment. I just spend a lot of time reading the posts from the hand analyser on here, so I hope I’ve picked up a few things. It's definitively helped my game! I know I still have a lot to learn, but I like to challenge myself by posting the way I would play on here and seeing how close it is to what the hand analyser's suggest. Also if I manage to help someone else out that’s even better

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What type of tourney was this from? That will have an impact on what I'd do.... different types of tourneys need to be played differently.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com