Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl Zoom - AA 3bet pot.

Old
5nl Zoom - AA 3bet pot. - Thu Oct 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
No reads on the villain here.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop UTG raises and for obvious reasons I 3-bet to 3X his raise. He flats and the flop comes down pretty dry, he checks to me and I thing my overpair is good so bet for value 2/3 pot. He then min check/raises me, on a flop this dry is his check raising range pretty much sets or does he do this with hands like AQ and KK?

I decided to flat here however I think this was pretty bad as I think his line is a bit too strong, also it commits me to the hand as over a third of my stack is in and if he were to shove the turn i'm not sure if I could profitably call. When he checks to me is it better to check behind to try get to showdown. Or should i commit my stack, as he now looks weak,which might get called by a queen or KK?

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Oliver

I think you have played the hand great up to this point. Let's talk about why calling the check-raise on the flop is much better than putting in the third flop bet and going all-in.

The reason is that if he has any bluffs or weak hands, he will fold to our shove. But if he has strong hands, like those sets we are worried about, he will call. Calling keeps his range wide, as wide as we can keep it, since every hand that check-raises the flop makes it to the turn.

When he checks to us I think we can have a lot more confidence in our hand. Let's talk about checking back versus betting.

If we were to check-back, he might bluff the river. I don't think he will, but he might. I think when he checks with his bluffs, this signals that he is giving up. We don't need to protect versus his bluffs though, only a hand like JTs has 4 outs, a lot of his bluffs have 0-2 outs. So we don't lose too much from checking back versus his bluffs.

What about his other hands? I think we risk losing some value versus his checking range. Hands like QJ/KQ/AQ/KK spring to mind. These hands can a) outdraw us on the river or b) a card can occasionally come that kills our action. Again both the cards that scare these hands and the cards that outdraw us are pretty limited. This is the nature of dry boards.

So I think it will be pretty close to immaterial whether we check back or put him all-in now. I think we hardly ever gain anything from his bluffs by checking, but occasionally he will. I think we, by and large, stack his worse value hands just as often, and get stacked by his better value hands just as often.

I would move all-in on the turn. I think this represents the widest range should our opponent made a mistake by check-raising a hand like TT or JJ. What ended up happening?

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks again Gareth, very detailed explanation. I decided to shove the turn as I felt he could call with a lot of queens that he overplayed on the flop and felt he couldn't get away from.

I like your explnanation about keeping his range wide on the flop. My main concern was that he had very few bluffs in his flop check raising range, hence why I just called. Out of interest what bluffs do you put in his range on the flop?

He ended up tabling Q8o which I found very odd, but then again players at these stakes make very odd plays. I didn't mind losing the pot though, as if he's going to call my 3bet preflop OOP with a hand like this then I'm going to make money from him in the long run.

Thanks again

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com