Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
Hi!

I've just finished the Poker Basics Quiz succesfully. I have
never deposited money to my PokerStars account and want
to qualify for the Bankroll Builder Promotion.

Looking forward to your reply,

Tom

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJack1 View Post
Hi!

Tom
Hi TomJack1,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi!
Tom
Hi TomJack1,

Yes, you are eligible and welcome to the Bankroll Builder.

To get you started we'd like you to play some play money games (In the PokerStars lobby go to Hold'em > Play Money > No Limit) and using the Hand Replayer please post a hand that you have found difficult here in this thread.

Doing this will ensure that you know how to use the hand replayer tool and if you've any questions on it just ask us.

Also please attend the 'Getting Started at PokerStars' live training session. You'll find this session daily in the Live Training section.

Please post back here when you have done both these things and we'll move you on to the next stage.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hi Raiser,

Here is the difficult hand you asked me to post using the Hand Replayer:

It's a hand with Queen Eight suited (d). An initial raise got reraised. I called because I thought my cards to be strong. 9h 3d 9s on the flop, small draw for flush or two pair/boat. With 2h on the turn I folded. What do you think of my play here? I'm not completely happy bout it..

I just completed the three courses as well, "introduction", "bet sizing" and "cash games", from HoRRoR77.

I hope we can move on to the next step.

Cheers, Tom

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi TomJack1,

Thanks for posting! I'll ask one of the hand analysers to take a look at this for you, once he's done that we can continue on from there tomorrow!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TomJack,

Q8 is a very weak hand in this situation facing a raise and reraise... in the beginner coursework as you go through this process, there should be a starting hand chart... review this closely when you get to it, that will give you a starting framework that will keep you out of bad spots like this. Also fold on the flop, you could easily be drawing dead to running cards here, and are a very longshot to win now.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 04:10 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi,

@TheLangolier Thanks for considering my hand, I will search those charts up and keep them in mind!

@Raiser I believer I'm ready to move on.

I'll await your next post.

Cheers, Tom

Old
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 04:14 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
@TheLangolier Thanks for considering my hand, I will search those charts up and keep them in mind!
Cheers, Tom
Hi TomJack1,

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent fullring real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you pass the quiz, get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

If you have already passed the Poker Basic Quiz please check back this time tomorrow and we'll advise on the next step.

Raiser

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:14 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
Cheers, Tom
Excellent!

Now that you have passed the quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money tables only on PokerStars. Do not play higher buy-ins than this until instructed to do so. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as we will credit you with another should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

When you've done all this we will move you onto the next stage. Well done on the progress so far!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hi Raiser,

I feel quite a bit embarrassed cause I lost my $2 buy in.. Played too much hands in the end I think..
I did however follow the Bet Sizing live training.

The most difficult hand so far is this one, where I have Ace-Seven Suited:

Should I re-do this step or can we still continue?!

Cheers, Tom

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi Raiser,
I feel quite a bit embarrassed cause I lost my $2 buy in.. Played too much hands in the end I think..
I did however follow the Bet Sizing live training.
The most difficult hand so far is this one, where I have Ace-Seven Suited:
Cheers, Tom
Hi TomJack1,

No worries, I'll ask one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at this for you and offer some feedback.

Once he does this we can continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi TomJack1

This was an interesting hand with several study points worth noting.

Firstly, preflop you are facing an early position limper and raiser. Playing from early position is usually an indication of a fairly strong starting hand. A7s is much too weak to reraise in this position. I recommend folding since you are not going to be flopping a flush draw often enough to make the a profitable spot to play this hand. If you do decide to re-raise I recommend going with the standard bet size which is 3x plus 1x for each caller. Your min-raise just builds the pot and often entices even more players to join the action.

Secondly, be very careful about calling large bets on the turn or river. Without a good read, I would give the villain credit for have a strong hand. You have top pair, but a weak kicker. You should fold these spots and wait for a better situation.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:01 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Cheers, Tom
Hi TomJack1,

We'll continue, please attend the 'Cash Basics' live training session.

These sessions can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Let me know once you've attended and we can contimue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 03:20 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Hi Raiser,

I've attended the Cash Basics Live Training yesterday.

Cheers. Tom

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:13 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi Raiser,
I've attended the Cash Basics Live Training yesterday.
Cheers. Tom
Hi TomJack1,

Thanks for that and I can confirm that you did indeed attend yesterdays session with Chris.

Now we want to get you your 2nd Bankroll Builder buy-in. Study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz post back here and we'll continue.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Hi Raiser,

as you advised I didn't rush through the Cash Game course xD
took me some time but I finished it.
Can you confirm that I qualified for the 2nd Bankroll Builder buy-in?

Cheers,
Tom

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 09:15 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Hi Raiser,

Today I made my first deposit at PokerStars; you automatically credited with the last bankroll builder bonus,
thank you!

I've got a question as well: I played two hands with pocket Aces the other day, winning one and losing one.
Can somebody give me feedback on these hands?

Cheers, Tom

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Tom! I'll analyse the hands in post #18.

You took some strange lines with these hands and your bet-sizing could be improved.

1. 3-betting (re-raising) is correct, but you can make it bigger in this spot. If there was only one opponent, then raising to three times his bet is correct (like in the second hand), but with a cold-caller you can add a multiple, to make it 4x or 24c. The flop comes T63, so you have a big overpair. Making a continuation bet is standard, but your sizing is terrible. Why are you only betting 6c into a 54c pot? If villains have draws, you're giving them a bargain price to suck out and beat you. With AA, you should be trying to build a BIG pot, and since this a 3-bet pot, you should be trying to get all in. You don't do that by betting so small. As played, villain raises to 25c and the other calls. I would expect the second player to have a pair or a flush draw almost always. The raiser most likely has top pair, an overpair or a set. Since you are beating AT/KT and KK-JJ, and are only losing to the few combos that made sets, I would always re-raise here. I do not want the player with a draw to have the right price. In fact, in a 3-bet pot, it's standard to stack off with a big overpair. You started the hand with over $3, which is quite a big stack, so going all in directly would be an overbet. I would instead raise it to an amount that sets me up to shove the turn. With $1.11 in the pot when the action comes back to you, a raise to about $1 would be ideal. This would deny a flush draw the right price to call, and will often induce top pair and overpairs to go all in, which is perfect. Even if one player calls, the pot will be around $3 and you can happily shove the turn. Instead you just call. The king comes on the turn, and now instead of checking to the raiser of the last street, you lead out again, and once more your bet is far too small. You're basically saying "please draw out on me". If you slowplay big hands, you almost deserve to lose, because you allow villains to control the size of the pot. Force villains to make big mistakes by betting BIG. Villain 2 once more raises you, and makes it about half pot. The villain with a flush draw still has the right odds to call, so he does so. Now you only have one good move and that's to go all in for value. Worse hands will call, even though they don't have the right price. By just calling, you aren't setting a price. The river comes the , which is a pretty bad card. The backdoor flush got there, but JJ also made a set, and JT and KJ made two pairs. Now you are forced to check, because on this scary board, you'll hardly ever get called by worse hands. Only better hands will give you action. Fortunately, it gets checked down and you see a free showdown. It turns out you were behind on the flop, as 66 made a set, so you would have gone broke by stacking off there, but against villain's range on the flop, you're ahead, so it would be profitable in the long run to get all in. By betting so small, you didn't give your opponents a chance to make a mistake. The last thing you want happening when you have 2 aces is to let a drawing hand see cheap/free cards. In future, make BIG bets and raises with your big hands.

2. Your 3-bet to 30c is fine here, so when villain pops it again to 92c, you should be fist-pumping. He probably has KK, QQ or AK and will be willing to stack off pre. So why did you just call? This makes no sense. Villain definitely has a big hand, but he can't possibly be beating you, so go all in for value. If you call and the flop comes ace high, he won't like KK and QQ any more, so you might not get his money. In short, you should be raising while you're sure you're ahead. It's how you get your value. Don't let villain see the flop for the price that he chooses. Be aggressive and play a pot that you dictate. With AA, the best pot size is the maximum pot size, and you do that by 5-bet shoving all in. As played, you just call. That leaves you with 70c and the pot is already $1.87. You'd have to go all in even if the flop came KKQ. If you're going to be pot-committed on the flop (because the pot will be larger than your remaining stack), then go all in pre-flop. Don't mess around with your big hands. Don't slowplay or get tricky. Build a big pot, and print money when villains call with worse.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old
Sun Sep 01, 2013, 07:18 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Congratulations!

As you've made you're deposit we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com