Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Donk Bets on the Flop

Old
Donk Bets on the Flop - Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi guys,

I'd like to suggest a topic which will hopefully lead to a fruitful discussion.

I am talking about leading out on the flop oop, usually referred to as "donk betting". I almost never do it, because I do not understand in which kind of situation it is the correct play. Maybe I should add: I am a fish, playing mostly $1.50 HU SNGs and breaking even at this level.

Now I do believe that donk betting must be a viable strategy sometimes, better than check-calling or check-raising (or check-folding). Maybe you guys can suggest some scenarions where you would lead out. Thanks for your advice!

Olaf

Old
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
A donk bet is when one calls a preflop raise OOP the leads out on the flop. It is useless against unaware opponents but may give you a chance to bluff against someone who is paying attention. Works best when heads-up as your opponent misses the flop about 2/3 of the time. Best used sparingly or it is ineffective.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com