Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Bluff

Old
Bluff - Sun Oct 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011

Although I won this hand, I'm not sure if I made a mistake bluffing the turn.

I obviously call to set mine, and I have some reads on villian three (specifically that he never fails to pick up the initiative when it's dropped, whatever position / however many opponents there may be).

When he does just this on the flop, I decide to call, which I think is a big mistake. Almost any card that comes will be concerning, so I probably should have raised this?

However, I bluff the turn, thinking that I now have a straight flush draw, a pair, and I can kill his probable bluff here and now.

Is this also a mistake? I didn't think of a range for him, I just thought I had a read and went with it.

Old
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 09:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Jamei,

His range is probably a lot of air here. Your read is that he bets when checked to in position, and that's what happened here, so while he can have something obviously, he can also have random overcards and ace highs that he's just doing his thing with. Given that I think check-raising and barreling the turn if called is generally good. We get V2 out of the hand this way (probable 2 overcards so we deny him a cheap shot to realize his equity in the pot) and get heads up with the probable best hand. When he calls us, much of the calling range will be 4x and draws, and maybe overs with a single club that takes one off. He can have 77 or A3 (might slowplay A3 though) but as a whole we should be taking this down with our check-raise a fair bit and doing well vs. his continuing range as well.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com