Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sun Oct 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Hi! I've been signed up to PokerSchoolOnline for a little while now but I've yet to make a deposit and I believe I haven't taken a quiz yet. Could someone help me get started?
-Rawrea

Old
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Alright I've attended the "Getting Started" session today and I've played a hand that I want some advice on.
I don't know if I played the hand too passively post-flop. Should I have bet out more?

What's next?

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea!

The first thing that you might want to do is to try the full ring tables and not a 6-max table, as that is what the cash buy-ins must be used at (the 6-max tables will not be allowed for cash tables for this promotion).

With AK, I want to make a standard raise, which for me is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, or here, to 600. I keep all of my raises standard, as this keeps the opps guessing as to my cards, as I'll make the same raise with AA, 77, 33, AK, JT or even a bluff.
The button now raises to 2200. Since I'm out of position, I now either want to raise or fold. If the opp is a tight opponent, then I'm going to fold AK here, as I'm behind all pairs and there are a number of pairs that the opp can easily have, as a pair is a large part of their range. However, if the opp is known to be loose, then I'm going to re-raise and I'll size my raise at 3X their previous bet (6600).

I flop top pair and I need to make a lead bet here and will size the bet at 1/2 pot (4500). I do not want to check here, as there are a number of cards that the opp could be drawing to that could possibly get ahead of my top pair. I want to make this 1/2 pot bet for two reasons. First, to get value for my hand and secondly, to give the opp the wrong odds to draw to beat me. If the opp is going to try and stay in the hand and outdraw me, I want them to call a large enough bet that they will lose chips on average by calling.

The turn is what should be a blank and once again, I need to make the same type of bet as on the flop, 1/2 pot. Both for value and to give the opp a -EV (negative expected value) play to draw.

The river most likely did not help my opponent, so now, I want to make another value bet and this one I will size at whatever bet I think that the opponent will call (I normally size this bet between 1/3 and 1/2 pot unless I have a specific read on the opp that says that they will call a larger bet). Due to this, I'll bet 8500.

Especially when I'm out of postion, I want to have the lead in the hand and be the one to be making bets, not calling or checking. By calling or checking out of position, I will put myself into too many tough spots.... that I want to avoid.. and will also cost myself value.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 07:35 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hey! I managed to pass that quiz. I've got a question though. Are there any circumstances under which I can begin to play other than 1/2 cent tables? (i.e. winning a freeroll tournament, making a certain amount of money with the initial 2$, making my first deposit)

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 09:12 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea!

This promotion is only for the 1/2 cent full ring tables.

Playing the freeroll tourneys is fine, but the buy-ins from this promotion must only be used at the 1/2 cent full ring tables... or you will be ineligible for further buy-ins from the promotion.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 01:35 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
I guess I was asking if I win money from a freeroll tournament, if I'd be able to use those winnings to play other tables?

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 02:10 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd wait until you're done with the promotion... so that you don't become ineligible for the other buy-ins.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Oh okay thanks!

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 08:55 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Hey again, I'm sure it's been 24 hours since I've completed the quiz. Is there anything I've missed?

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 09:31 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session and we will move you onto the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Alright John, I think I'm ready to move onto the next stage. I've both recieved the buy-in and attended the training session for bet sizing.

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
I've also got a few hands that I think I could've done better on. Advice?

I was a little confused as to when I should've been betting in this hand.

I wanted to know if I played this wrong at all and if it's just check fold after the flop?

Am I betting too big?

Last edited by Rawrea; Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Adding descriptions to hands.

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I also feel like I played this last hand really poorly.

Should I have bet out on the flop to get value from flush draws? I felt that it was unlikely that he hit anything with the 3 and the 4 on the board and the fact that there was only a single ace left in the deck. Should I have bet out on the turn for information? Also, should I have bet/raised on the flop? I only called because I felt that there weren't many hands worse than mine that would call a raise.

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 09:07 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea!

I will have one of the hand analyzers get these hands within the next 24 hours. If you're still playing on the first buy-in, please continue to do so. If you earn 10VPP's with it, it will unlock the next buy-in. You will get moved onto the next step after the hands are analyzed, only if you have lost the buy-in.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:13 AM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Rawrea

Judging from your good stack sizes in these hands, you are playing well - congratulations

Note that two of the tables have four open seats. Try to stay on tables with 8 or 9 players. It makes it much easier to make money. You can adjust the filters from the Pokerstars lobby to only show tables with more than 7 players.

First hand AQo: Raising preflop with AQo is good. The standard raise size is 3x plus one for each limper making 8 rather than 10, but you are fine here. You were the aggressor preflop, so c-betting is ok and your bet size was good. However, you are out of position, you missed the flop and there are two other players involved. These are good reasons to check the flop. The turn gives you top pair top kicker. Firing out another bet looks very strong and your bet size is fine. Nice hand

Second hand 1010: I would have played it the same as you did Your preflop raise is standard. The K on the flop is definately in the range of the villains, but your c-bet is fine. You reassessed your hand after getting called and checked down the turn and river. The villain played his AK poorly and was extremely passive. I hope you made a note on him. This is good information to know.

Third hand A9o: Your bet sizes look good on every street. However, I would have just checked preflop. A9o is a tough hand to play, especially out of position. I don't like building the pot with such weak hands. It is not suited or connected, AND it will often be dominated by another A with a better kicker, or by an overpair like 1010 or JJ when you pair the 9 as in this hand.

Fourth hand AA: You want to bet this flop! You flopped top set against a deep stacked opponent. Raise for value every time and build the pot. You have a strong hand, but it is vulnerable. Firstly, if the villain is chasing a draw, bet now while they still have hopes of getting what they need. Secondly, the flop is very connected with flush and straight draw combinations. Don't give the villain a chance at a free card. The turn card is not good for us. It is the third spade and the villain is showing real strength by betting again. Check calling the turn and river looks fine.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Nov 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Hey thanks for clarifying those hands for me. I'm really excited to be doing alright. I've been trying to follow PSO advice for every hand and I've been reading a bit ahead too. I don't know how many hands I've played up until now but I think I might be playing these 1/2 cent stakes profitably.

Also, I think I'm ready to move on. I've completed the Bet Sizing Tutorial, I've obviously been playing with my first buy-in, I've gotten my first 10 VPP and I wasn't sure if I should've done this but I ended up finishing the Cash Game Quiz. Does this at least qualify me for my next buy-in? (or two?)

Old
Mon Nov 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rawrea!

Are you still playing with the first buy-in? A member will not be able to move to the next step if they are still playing with it. Also, please do not do things ahead of time. It will not help and you, and you could have to go repeat them at a later time.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 05, 2012, 01:28 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Oh so basically I'm not eligible for any further buy-ins until I lose my first one? What if I'm doing really well with my first one? I'm up to almost $10 now. Should I come back only when I lose it as a back up?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com