Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sun Oct 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Hi there,

I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

Strahinja93

Old
Sun Oct 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi strahinja93,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
(#3)

I would like to know if these were correct decisions? I don't know if my decision on the flop to call that big raise was a good one. I called because I think I had better hand than a player on the button. He has bigger range of cards that he can play so I thought his cards were not very strong and that he didn't have much advantage in this hand. Need help with this hand. If I made a mistake I would like to know what was it because I do not want to make the same mistake again.
Thank you.

p.s. I didn't watch a live training yet. But I will today and will inform you when I do.

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
(#4)
I have attended Getting started with pokerstars live training.

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi strahinja93!

I think the key to this hand is acuatlly preflop, not on the flop. With QTs, I'm more than happy to limp behind here and see a flop, however, I could also raise here. If I did raise, I would use my standard raise of 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I would raise to 12. When the opp on the button makes a large over-sized raise to 64 from a bet of 2, when it gets back to me after 3 callers, I'm going to muck this preflop. The reason for this is that my queen high is NOT going to be the best hand as of now (someone will have an ace, king, better queen or pair) and I don't want to be putting a large number of chips into a pot when I know that I'm behind.

The flop gives me top pair with a bad kicker and the opp makes an abnormally small bet. Bets on the flop and after should be as a % of the size of the pot. This small bet looks like the opp is on a draw (either a 10 or a 9 needed for a straight). If I was still in the hand here, I would raise to 3/4 the size of the pot (210). By raising here, if the opps call this bet, they will be making a negative play by drawing to a straight.. a play where they will lose chips on average, each and every time they chase here. I'm also hoping to lower the number of opponents, as my hand will play much better against less opps.

The turn gives me top pair along with a straight and flush draw. When the opp checks to me, I need to make a value bet here and will size it at 3/4 pot. I need to make the opps have the wrong odds to draw at me and I want to get value for my hand.

The river completes my flush and once again, I'm going to make a value bet when it's checked to me and I will size this bet between 1/3 and 1/2 the size of the pot. This should be a small enough bet that some of the opps would call (so that I can get value).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi strahinja93!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
(#7)
I already have passed the quiz. Am I still getting $8?

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
(#8)

Did I play this hand correctly?

similar situation like previous

Should I have called this one?

Last edited by strahinja93; Mon Oct 29, 2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
(#9)

A lot of action before me

Old
Mon Oct 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:

Should I have called this one?

Read more: PokerSchoolOnline Forum - Reply to Topic http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/com...#ixzz2AjjpMCvX
Hello strahinja93,

I have to point out that even if seems useful to call in short, you did the right thing in long term. Yeah you lost the chance of triple up but you have to consider the fact that you had only 2 outs to improve your hand and someone will probably take your chips almost 90+% of the games in the future if you bet all-in with pocket 4.

Luck can be king in short term, but if you want to be a good player and going to the final table at much of the tournaments, you did the right thing.

(But this is just my opinion and i am not a poker pro )

Old
Tue Oct 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi strahinja93!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

When you've done all this we will move you onto the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 30, 2012, 08:28 PM
(#12)

had to lay this hand down?
I have already attended bet sizing live training

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
(#13)
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

Without reads, I think it's a good laydown of the AQ. It's tempting to get it in against a shorter stack like this since that's an indicator the player may not be good and thus may spew with weak hands, but without knowing they are capable of showing up light here it's ok to pass this spot, as I do think we'll see a medium or big pocket pair, or AK a great deal here and AQ plays terribly against that range specifically.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
(#14)

lost nearly my entire stack

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 07:56 PM
(#15)

got back my start stack from about $0.2... had nice reads on opponent, knew he was bluffing and took a nice pot

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 08:23 PM
(#16)

got my self in a really bad position

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by strahinja93 View Post

lost nearly my entire stack
Hi strahinja93

A2s is a good hand to just call with preflop, especially with several limpers in the pot. It is not strong enough to raise with when two other players are already in the pot. Try to see a cheap flop and reevaluate on the flop.

The flop gives you plenty of apparent outs for a flush and straight, BUT any time the board is paired, you may be facing a full house or even quads. You need to be careful and try to keep the pot small. I would not suggest getting all in with an A high flush on a paired board. Keep your bets small if you are doing the raising, and fold to large bets from an opponent. At this level it is better to err on the side of caution.

This is also a good example of why we should not slowplay AA preflop or overplay overpairs to the board. The AA guy made several costly mistakes in this hand.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Last edited by Roland GTX; Thu Nov 01, 2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
(#18)
Quote:

got back my start stack from about $0.2... had nice reads on opponent, knew he was bluffing and took a nice pot
Nice hand
Preflop I raise 3x plus 1x for each limper making 10 cents in this case. Getting good reads is very important. Add your own reads or thoughts to future hands that you post. They help a lot.

Remember though, even bad players can get good cards. Try to put your opponent on a range of hands that fit with his actions. It is not always easy to "know" exactly what they are doing. Nice read in this case Finally, if you were extremely confident that you were ahead, reraising the turn and/or river to get more value might have been an option.

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 02:36 PM
(#19)
Quote:

got my self in a really bad position
Nice preflop reraise Yes, AA is the best starting hand, but I like to remind myself that "it is only a pair". I alway reraise preflop with AA and 3x the original raise as you did is standard.

The flop doesnt not look very good for you. It fits a ton of hands the villain could have. He only has 37 cents left though. So, I would probably just move all in on the flop. If he had a larger stack, I could foresee having to fold AA on a later street.

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Nov 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
(#20)
I have watched Bet Sizing live training. What is next?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com