Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

sums up my last 3 days to a tee

Old
sums up my last 3 days to a tee - Wed Oct 31, 2012, 09:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
prem skill league this is what ive had to put up for the last 3 days which has sen me drop 30+ places love poker

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 01:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi stedds!

With this being in a league game at the end of the month, this hand needs to be played totally differently than any other situation that one can encounter in a tourney.
The reason for this is that not only are there tourney chips involved.... there is also cash $$ involved due to the end of the month league standings. I do not want to take ANY chances on getting a negative league result, that will cost me real $$.

With KK here, I'm going to flat the opp's raise here and if it's raised behind me, then I'm MUCKING it. I will also muck this under any scenario where another opp puts me all in before I see either a K on the board, or that there is not an A on the board after all 5 cards... since many players stay with Ax.

The reward of more tourney chips is never going to be worth the real $$ risk of getting a negative score.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
thanks john bit to late now a cock up on stars end and a bad downswing has cost me finishing in the top 10 so yea doesnt matter this time round but will be a good help for next time thanks

Old
Wed Oct 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi stedds!

With this being in a league game at the end of the month, this hand needs to be played totally differently than any other situation that one can encounter in a tourney.
The reason for this is that not only are there tourney chips involved.... there is also cash $$ involved due to the end of the month league standings. I do not want to take ANY chances on getting a negative league result, that will cost me real $$.

With KK here, I'm going to flat the opp's raise here and if it's raised behind me, then I'm MUCKING it. I will also muck this under any scenario where another opp puts me all in before I see either a K on the board, or that there is not an A on the board after all 5 cards... since many players stay with Ax.

The reward of more tourney chips is never going to be worth the real $$ risk of getting a negative score.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Sorry - but this is a rare occasion when I totally disagree with John.

I'm playing exactly the same - shoving KK virtually every time here over the raise given stack-sizes - unless I am sure the opp is such a nit they already have 2 aces in hand.

The reason is how deep we already are in this tourney.

Level 13 - so over two hours in - I am not worried about losing any major points by busting - even if I am sitting fairly high up in the Premier League.

The extra chips I have when I win here - either through the opponent folding or calling with his A9 etc and losing - (60-70% of the time - but unfortunately not here) - are valuable - because they give me a good chance of running really deep and possibly making FT. Points increase rapidly for the very deep runs - I will risk an occasional smallish points loss when I lose here for the opportunity to increase my chance of a very deep run pretty often.

I will be very aware of my position in the league - my likely points wins/losses for various finishing points in this tourney - and how many points I am ahead/behind of the League money jumps.

If I am between 20th+50th I don't mind risking dropping down the league if I will still be in the top 80 - because I know if I get a deep run I am heading back towards the big money prizes.

Even if I think I might drop out of the top 80 I would probably risk it here as long as there is another tourney or two left in the month.

There are a lot of extraneous factors in the league - and it really hurts when you get these beats in several successive tourneys and can have a huge drop in places in the league - but one month getting into these situations these hands WILL hold up and get you a big prize.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com