Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2FR small flush

Old
NL2FR small flush - Thu Nov 01, 2012, 08:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
yo, good morning..

ok another kinda lame hand, .. i actiually crush NL2, but hands in here make me fel like donk haha

... so anyway here i complete 47s in SB, (mostly coz 47s is luky for me), i think looking bak here i should maybe donk here, bet wanted too see the action as theres another 4 in the pot, it gets checked around and thankfully somone bets and my plan was to check raise... i raise obv coz i dont want another spade to come.!

My question kinda is, at NL2 it feels easu top make this decision but im thinking at NL100, is a small flush hand like 47s ok here? like if villain was drawing or had a higher flush, is my raise gonna stop them, or is this cool coz im giving them good price to call and miss there flush, if it comes i can fold to a bet?

this feels a kinda silly question, but its these little hands that over 100ks of hands where somtimes you lose alot of ur winrate?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...054_184C498731

Old
Thu Nov 01, 2012, 10:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrGetinTaxed View Post
... so anyway here i complete 47s in SB, (mostly coz 47s is luky for me), i think looking bak here i should maybe donk here, bet wanted too see the action as theres another 4 in the pot, it gets checked around and thankfully somone bets and my plan was to check raise... i raise obv coz i dont want another spade to come.!
Except you didn't raise! You check/called the flop, and went for the check-raise on the turn. Never slow play flops like this. I don't use the word never very often but I will here, we talk about this in live training all the time... You want to start building the pot immediately, and can get action from top pair, 2 pair+ (all possible in a limped pot on this board texture) and single big spades. You don't want to risk a free card because A) checking through doesn't grow the pot and B) a 4th spade kills your hand, either beating you or if not, then killing your action. Better to stimulate that action now before a 4th spade comes off.

Plus, getting aggressive on the flop here is actually the more deceptive play, because so many players are slow-play happy themselves with flopped flushes, and would bet or raise aggressively with decent non-flushes to "protect their hand", so they think you're just playing like they would and don't put you on the flush yet. When you check-call flop and check-raise turn, it screams flush so it's not surprising the guy folds. You will generally get a lot more value moving on the flop, and in a multi-way pot like this I prefer to just lead out and hope someone raises me, but at least I know it can't get checked around this way.

As to the question, calling here preflop is probably costing you money over time, and it's only going to get worse as you move up, since at 2nl there's a lot of villains who are prone to lots of post flop mistakes, but the general skill level rises as you move up... and these types of hands need opponents to make massive post flop mistakes when they hit to account for all the money they cost you when they don't hit, or when they hit enough to make a costly 2nd best hand.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 07:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
ok thanks i see what ur saying, and agree, i just think if i donk here against 4 others who have limped in, that means there passive and only gonna call me with a higher flush.but ur prolly right donk here is better.

the check raise on turn was 'ups' a mistake sry, my plan was to chek raise flop, i get mixed up somtimes in pots like this wen multitabling.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com