Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

A rag

Old
A rag - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 07:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi all.
I'd like to start a discussion about A rag. I will ask a simpple question. I hope this generates some discussion.

You are dealt A rag UTG. do you?

A) limp.
B) Raise.
C) fold.

There are many arguments for each option. Let the discussion begin.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 09:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
A rag in any early pos. is an easy fold for me. Too many potential callers behind. Even if I get an ace, I could easily be outkicked. Only time I play that is if suited in late position ocasionaly if the price is right.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Unless I'm short-handed (HU or 3 handed)... ace/rag is an instant muck from UTG. It's way, way too marginal of a hand.

John (JWK24)

P.S. The two most common notes that I make about players that I will use to exploit them are about players that will play any A or any suited cards from any position.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:11 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
As noted, it is an open question. Playing ace-rag is going to have lots of other factors influencing the answer. Now I'm strictly chips and the 27-player SNG, so my decisions will not represent "true poker" play.

In most instances, I'll fold this hand in the early (UTG) position. Too many yet to play. I'll call the blind if the cards are suited, or the number of players is six or less.

At middle position, I'll either fold or limp. The decision is based on such things as the late player's tendencies. If everyone is tight, I'll play if my bankroll gives me breathing room over everyone else. In such a case, it is beneficial seeing the flop. If the big stick, or a loos player follows me, I'm folding.

Ace-rag late will be decided by the current price. If I can go cheap, say 4-times the blind, I'll try limping. Suited is another thing. If I have the money, I'll call. Give me the big stick and I might even raise.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Another thing that I do NOT want to do with A/rag nor any other hand for that matter, is to open-limp. I'll limp behind, but if a player open-limps, it turns their cards over and says that it's a marginal hand (ace/rag, any suited, low pair, etc).... it makes the opp much easier to exploit if you have position on them.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:20 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus-Redda View Post
Hi all.
I'd like to start a discussion about A rag. I will ask a simpple question. I hope this generates some discussion.

You are dealt A rag UTG. do you?

A) limp.
B) Raise.
C) fold.

There are many arguments for each option. Let the discussion begin.
D) It depends. (classic poker answer)

Ex: What is my stack size in relation to the blinds/antes "M"

If I'm in the red zone then it's an obvious shove. If I'm in the Green zone then more often than not I'll fold (assuming full ring not 6h or less). Sometimes the players at the table are so poor I'm confident I can outplay them post flop. This also effects my decision.

Needless to say, the question does not offer enough information imo.

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:50 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Have to agree w/ DSF here. poker questions don't get a whole lot braoder than this one....

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2011
Well look to me for an opposite answer to the normal lol.

Generally JW is spot on with his answers.

Ace rag utg, ok, on a six seater its not that big of deal to raise utg with ace rags, but never limping is a must.

I would always raise, at the end of the day they dont know i have ace rags and can represent strenght.

However table dynamiics and the players we play against make the importance of how to play any hand and not just ace rags.

Generally the opinion and the safe way is to always fold, especailly on a full table of nine.

It also depends on your own image you have created of yourself.

And also the ability to read the opps and the situation, and also stack size and format as relevance.

To be honest though, im completely with jw, ace rags will only and may bring short term results,but in the long run it will be beat more than it wins,creating chip spewing and result orientated thinking.

My deep runs never come from playing ace rags, its a muck,not even a poker hand utg. IT SHOULD BE MUCKED ALWAYS UNLESS THE CHIPS ARE DOWN AND THERES NO OPTION.

Now in posistion with the right odds another story.

Old
Sat Nov 03, 2012, 08:49 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2011
I appreciate all the comments offered so far.
I agree with JW and I have sent a PM thanking him for his reply.

I started this thread because, I quite often find that A rag will raise in early position. I call with a good A and keep getting smashed because they hit thier rag on the river.

I would like to keep this thread open, so please keep the comments coming.

Old
Sat Nov 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
(#10)
c) easy disision

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com