Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

When to Quit

Old
When to Quit - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 08:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
BronzeStar
My first Question to the Forum.,
At what stage do you leave a cash table,obviously when you have lost your Bankroll,but what I mean is, do you set for a target or leg it when youve won ya first pot?

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2010
Well depends on what your comfortable playing with. When i played cash and i doubled up i usually just leave cause i was scared playing with such a huge stack. If you like to play with it just play. all personal preference.

When losing : just leave when you feel your starting to 'rage' :P

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi R00M101!

I try to leave one when I'm up about 50% from my max buy-in... I always buy-in for the max.
However, there will ALWAYS be exceptions to this. If there is a big fish at the table that keeps reloading that I can continue to win money from, then I'll stay longer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
When to quit - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hi Roachor,
Thankyou for the advice,iv got the idea, now What I need is a plan and stick to it,something like come off when iv played 100 hands,or like you say when i start to rage.TY R00M101

Old
When to quit - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:23 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hi JWK24,
Thanks again for the sound advice, ill do my best at the tables,if its a fish your after,ill be on the tables with my first Bankroll paymeht soon R00M101.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:47 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
hi room101, when to leave a cash table table?

IT DEPENDS ON THE TABLE

You are looking for worse players than yourself and should avoid the better players, if theres really good players at the table leave as soon as you know, if theres weaker players stick around and so on.

Amount of funds

I always think your buyin amount as relevance, e.g if you buyin for min, you can be happy to push fold strategy and come off doubled up, or even tripled with only minimal loses if you lose.

And i am happy to buy bk in knowing i have lost minimal.
However if i lose 1 or 2 or even 3 min buyins, then i walk and come off for a while.

If i use max buyin that is recommended, i will walk when doubled up or lost my buyin with no rebuy bk in.

Always think br management when applying any play theories or in fact just any play.

Br management is the main key to success,

the second secret is not to tilt

the 3rd is to play and keep it text book abc tag poker

hope this helps you

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachor View Post
Well depends on what your comfortable playing with. When i played cash and i doubled up i usually just leave cause i was scared playing with such a huge stack. If you like to play with it just play. all personal preference.

When losing : just leave when you feel your starting to 'rage' :P
Hey roacher how you?

dont be scared to lose if you have doubled up, think to youself its only the original buyin you are losing not what you have won.

e.g i buyin for 80c, treble up to 2.40, then face with an all in against a fish, i could have 4.80 or i could lose 80c, that doesnt change.

hope this helps just thought i needed to add something for your play as fear and worried to play can stop you advancing.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
Hey roacher how you?

dont be scared to lose if you have doubled up, think to youself its only the original buyin you are losing not what you have won.

e.g i buyin for 80c, treble up to 2.40, then face with an all in against a fish, i could have 4.80 or i could lose 80c, that doesnt change.

hope this helps just thought i needed to add something for your play as fear and worried to play can stop you advancing.
Not going to give advise here exept to say I think this is BAD advise
If you lose $2.40, you lose $2.40. once money is in your stack, IT'S YOURS!!

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 02:21 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi R00M101!

I try to leave one when I'm up about 50% from my max buy-in... I always buy-in for the max.
However, there will ALWAYS be exceptions to this. If there is a big fish at the table that keeps reloading that I can continue to win money from, then I'll stay longer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Crap ....i wish i wouldve read this thread b4 just posting mine ....great advise 50% ....

Old
When to Quit - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 05:33 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Thankyou all for your advice,Iv found out something,if you dont ask a question, you wont get an answer and all the answers to my question have been great.This is the plan. Im off to battle my first cash table looking for worse players than me (that will be an empty table then) and hopefully coming off with 50% of my buy in. Thankyou all R00M101

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
Not going to give advise here exept to say I think this is BAD advise
If you lose $2.40, you lose $2.40. once money is in your stack, IT'S YOURS!!
yes mt agreed once the money is in your stack its yours, but you cant be scared to lose it, that will effect your decisions at the table would it not?, making you to maybe tighten up your play against maybe some lesser players that you should be calling or infact raising?

If not could you please explain why?

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 06:52 PM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
When the old hedgehog could play for cash before Black Friday, my rule was usually two-folded. If my initial stake declined by 50%, I bailed. That was a flexable one, dependent on the play. However, I had a hard rule, at a certain time limit, I left. This is regardless of profit.

Reason? I wanted to minimize losses and maximize PFF's. We needed 20 back then to qualify for the league's biggest prize each month. I set a time that was comfortable for me. Initially, the time limit ran two hours. By Black Friday, I knew I could handle four ring games for three hours before fatigue sets.

A firm time limit kept me from playing too tired. If you are tired, you're more prone to stupid plays or pushing hands you wouldn't try when alert.

This didn't mean three hours for a day, it meant a continuous session. When the time limit hit, I bailed out of the cash games and either did something offline or hit the league/freeroll games as a diversion.

Not saying this is what you must do, but it worked for me. The best advice I can offer is determine when you let your game slip. When you know that, set your limit to something earlier. If it's time, use a timer and stop when it bings. If it is money risked, set a firm dollar limit and never go over it until you move up in blinds.

As to blinds, everyone else has already given you the best help available. Use bankroll management and it will help you in both good and bad times.

Best of luck to you.

Old
Sat Nov 03, 2012, 01:10 AM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
I've found that a stop loss works best for me. So if I'm playing 1/2 with a 2.00 buy in, I'll quit if I lose my buy-in. If I'm up 2.00, I will keep playing till I go down to 1.75 profit. At that point I quit, limiting my loss of profit to .75.

This needs to be adjusted, of course, if you are multi-tabling. I tend to add up all my buy-ins, then calculate my profit from there.

Bottom line is, you have to figure out what works best for you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com