Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Hitting a Wall

Old
Hitting a Wall - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 09:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
So the problem I find that I am having is that I seem to hit a wall about 3 hours into a tourney. The first 2 hours I do well on gathering chips. Then in the 3rd hour it's like my mind starts shutting down and I start making bad calls. This is happening consistently. I generally make it past the bubble but I can't get much farther.

So my question is how do you regroup or maintain your mindset? or is it that by that hour I am playing against people with more advanced skills than myself?

MTT Avg. Finish Percentage

Early 9% (10%)
Early/Middle 12% (20%)
Middle 36% (40%)
Middle/Late 30% (20%)
Late 12% (10%)

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi MuklukAnnie1!

It could be from playing too tight or too loose in the middle stages. If playing too tight, then a player could easily blind out in this area. If they are playing too loose, since there are more chips in the pot due to higher blinds/antes by then, then a stack can be given away much quickly than normal.

Also, by this time in a tourney, most of the worst players in a tourney are going to be out, so absolutely, the level of play should be better too.

You may want to take a look at some of the tourney reviews in the library. These could help, especially with later in them as the trainers will be giving advice on play later in tourneys. Also, it would be good for you to attend any of the live training sessions that are dealing with MTT play.

If you want something to compare to, here are my numbers from before black friday (I'm in the US).
Early 1% (10%)
Early/Middle 5% (20%)
Middle 28% (40%)
Middle/Late 48% (20%)
Late 18% (10%)

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com