Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Setting Playing time limits?Busted-out!

Old
Setting Playing time limits?Busted-out! - Fri Nov 02, 2012, 02:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Well I got my $2 pokerstars Real money deposit last night and ....like a kid in a candy store , off i went to the .01 /.02 tables.
Putting all my newly learned poker skills to work ,I played tight/aggresive ,I was able to get up over $5,over a 5-6 hr period.My goal was to get to $6 then bank it and restart with $2 at a new table ,but alas this was not what happenned.I found myself being married to starting hands like QQ and AA , and took substantial hits to my bankroll (if u want to call $5 a bankroll),by not being disciplined enough to "get away" from these starters.Eventually I caught myself playing ridiculously loose ,trying to get back to my $5+ ,and busted out !!!(after 7.5 hrs roughly)
Fatigue definately played a large part in this.It was awful ....I knew it was happenning ,yet couldnt pull the reigns in and control my play>Obviously this will be noted for my next venture out!

So my question is this Do most serious/professionals put some type of time limit on their play?

any feed back would be appreciated, thanks.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 02:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
You could take 30min breaks every hour or two and honestly assess your game, if you feel like it's suffering for any reason (other than just pure bad luck) then don't go back to the table.

Always try and play in the best frame of mind and never get attached to your chips. Likely to just lose more if your tired and desperate to win a pot.

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 03:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey Stanleycup

First, you shouldn't compare yourself to serious/professional

As a beginner, concentrate on short sessions or a set number of hands

Ex: 1 hour our 500 hands

Old
Fri Nov 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
HI Stanley, firstly with all poker you should of considered BR management.

$2 could of give you 8 25c tourneys, or even 20 10c tourneys.

This was your first mistake no planning.

As to breaks, all players need to take a break. Walk around stretch your legs, make a coffee, have a break.

When to take a break is down to the player, how you are feeling and your fitness levels.

the game is a mental challenge, and even though online it is exhausting mentally and physically.

Sandtrap gives some great advice there

Tourney poker sets the break for you, which is welcomed even though only 5 mins for each hr, but takes about 3 mins boil the kettle lol.

gl in your game

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com