Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Containing yourself...

Old
Containing yourself... - Sun Nov 04, 2012, 02:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Hi all,

Just a general question about keeping calm while playing. If you win a good pot or make a killer bluff do you get excited and sometimes distracted from the next hand and make a mistake?

Earlier today I made a stone cold bluff on the river which paid off very nicely with a big pot. I got a little excited and on the next hand I got dealt A Q suited, which I bet pre-flop and c-bet and pulled a straight on the river and I went all in. Now that sounds all good and well but my opponent was the big stack and seemed to be slow playing me or just letting me dig my own hole. In my excited state I failed to notice the 4 spades on the deck...

Anyone else had this kind of thing happen or is it just me? And if you do, how do you calm yourself and focus on the next deal?

Thanks.

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
Same thing happened to me when I hit a straight in a multiway pot, never noticed the hearts on the board before chucking all my chips in. Sometimes if I win a big pot I can be a little loose the next few hands which I guess is a mild leak.

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Gambit II!

Keeping the same demeanor whether you're winning or losing is something that I always try to do, especially if I'm playing live. When emotions play into decisions, then I may not always make the best decisions... which is what I want to do. Make the best decision for that particular situation at that point in time.

Don't get carried away with bluffing... if you do it too often, it'll burn you in the long run.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Results oriented thinking is a common occurrence in poker, as in life. We won the pot/hand/game/whatever there for we did good. But poker is a game of the long run, actually a lifelong run. As you poker experience grows you will be less excited by the "Big Move" as you have been there, seen that a multitude of times. What serves is good in the long run is to focus on the quality of our decisions.

To pull off a good bluff requires many good decisions. Does your opponents range include air? Are they capable of laying down a good but not great hand when faced with pressure? Does my image help or hurt my bluff? Do my actions tell a consistent story? And so forth. The common thread through all of those statements is that they each require a good decision to be successful.

Moral: Its not the pots you win or lose that determine your success. Its the quality of the decisions you make.

Good decisions ftw!

Old
Sun Nov 04, 2012, 11:12 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Gambit II!

Keeping the same demeanor whether you're winning or losing is something that I always try to do, especially if I'm playing live. When emotions play into decisions, then I may not always make the best decisions... which is what I want to do. Make the best decision for that particular situation at that point in time.

Don't get carried away with bluffing... if you do it too often, it'll burn you in the long run.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
I'm a terrible live player because I give away so many tells. I've had it pointed to me that the veins in my neck pulse when I'm in a big hand. I use it to my advantage though as it still pulses when I'm bluffing

I'm not a good live player BTW

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit II View Post
Hi all,

Just a general question about keeping calm while playing. If you win a good pot or make a killer bluff do you get excited and sometimes distracted from the next hand and make a mistake?

Earlier today I made a stone cold bluff on the river which paid off very nicely with a big pot. I got a little excited and on the next hand I got dealt A Q suited, which I bet pre-flop and c-bet and pulled a straight on the river and I went all in. Now that sounds all good and well but my opponent was the big stack and seemed to be slow playing me or just letting me dig my own hole. In my excited state I failed to notice the 4 spades on the deck...

Anyone else had this kind of thing happen or is it just me? And if you do, how do you calm yourself and focus on the next deal?

Thanks.
I have never played a real life event. I want to soon.

In real life I can imagine i would be hard to read. I dont think i would need any sunglasses or hoodies to stop people getting reads on me as I play since i think i can pull the "I have 72" face even when i get dealt AA. Only a test in real life will prove it of course, although i doubt my opponents would tell me

What i have found is that once you play more hands (into the 1000s) you start realizing that a good hand such as AA or KK is an opportunity not a lottery ticket. Some people like the "ALL IN" move with the top 2 hands whereas I would imagine a lot of the time people that have seen those two hands played in every single type of tactic and board layout known to man arent as happy to see them as someone newer to the game.

Don't get me wrong, they are smiling inside.
I think Daniel Negrano gets more excited when he sees 36 suited than Aces

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit II View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.
I have never played a real life event. I want to soon.

In real life I can imagine i would be hard to read. I dont think i would need any sunglasses or hoodies to stop people getting reads on me as I play since i think i can pull the "I have 72" face even when i get dealt AA. Only a test in real life will prove it of course, although i doubt my opponents would tell me

What i have found is that once you play more hands (into the 1000s) you start realizing that a good hand such as AA or KK is an opportunity not a lottery ticket. Some people like the "ALL IN" move with the top 2 hands whereas I would imagine a lot of the time people that have seen those two hands played in every single type of tactic and board layout known to man arent as happy to see them as someone newer to the game.

Don't get me wrong, they are smiling inside.
I think Daniel Negrano gets more excited when he sees 36 suited than Aces

EDIT : Just after writing this in a 25c/45 game and to prove my point i get dealt AA in MP, i raise it up, flop comes with another ace and although there is a King on there i think that seeing AK on the board could be of a scare for him knowing that im playing tight and could be on AK or AJ/AQ or perhaps even the other KK or AA.

I decide to play my set and check to give him a chance to catch, i am out of position so i dont want to give him another card and jam on the river so i put something more into the pot and he folds.

Ah well... got the pot at least (my hefty raise + blinds + a limp)

Next hand... get AA again, someone is wanting me to do a do-over.

I am still in MP so i raise it up and get nothing... My tight image and agressive raise + taking down the last pot on a field anyone watching would (if believing me) have put me on Aces and Kings... it seems to have paid off but to the point where i didnt get any action.

I think i just got unlucky and with Aces you will get that from occasion where your opp's get nothing and you might as well as 72o for the pottential.

For AA to fly you really need some action.
I like to think of AA as that priceless (yet seemingly ordinary) vase being sold at auction. The auctioneer doesn't know its value and just starts it at $10. Only 1 woman wants it and takes it home to put on her coffee table not knowing it is priceless and could fetch millions

Same scenario and it starts at $10 however in the auditorium are 2 avid collectors and they start bidding like crazy for it and before long it is sold for a LOT of $$$

Point being - without the greed, desire or sheer need for someone to think they have a good hand against you, you are holding blanks

Last edited by baud2death; Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 07:01 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com