Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Full Ring NL2 , Overplayed trips ?

Old
Full Ring NL2 , Overplayed trips ? - Mon Nov 05, 2012, 07:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hello-
Opponent is loose with VPIP/PFR/WTSD = 36/5/25 over 55 hands.
I thought his limping range is something like 22+,K8+, Q9+, A2+ and at flop i put him on a King or maybe AT. In order to protect against possible flushes and straights at the river, decided to shove at turn. What is the problem here?

In general, i find myself taking many poor all-in decisions. I am probably influenced by fish who call an overbet with TP, gutshots, flush draws etc. , when i have, for example, an overpair. Should i take some seconds to examine the stats of the villain or there is something more you can advice me?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 3revos; Mon Nov 05, 2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old
Mon Nov 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi 3rev,

His line looks very strong and for an opponent who is passive, I think we are generally beat when he min-raises the turn (a fish sign of a big hand). What qualifies as a big hand here that we are actually beating? If we say trips or better, then realistically we're beating T7s, T8s, T9 at best... we're losing to QT, KT, AT, KK, 66. A loose-aggressive opponent we'd be in better shape against.. they might have weaker tens in their range, as well as a lot of Kx combos, in particular KdXd which they might overplay on the turn. But a passive player really doesn't do this, he would just call along with Kx. Once you eliminate those from his range, we're in bad shape.

I think the best advice is to continue working on ranging, and using the info at hand to narrow ranges. In this case you suggest you put him on a king, which is fine on the flop action, but when a player who is inherently passive takes a very strong aggressive action on the turn betting round, I think we have to take kings out of his range at this point and re-evaluate the strength of our hand relative to his newly revised range.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 07, 2012, 07:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Interesting hand 3revos!

Question to Dave:
Do you recommend folding to the turn min-raise?
(assuming we had recognized it as a sign of a very strong hand)

Thanks

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Nov 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yeah, it's close, but I think it's a fold on the turn (only against a passive fish like this, who is taking this line). Kind of a unique circumstance here. I think a hand like AK would be an easy fold here, and yet for a passive fish when they take this line their value range is basically all monsters, and JT isn't really ahead of any of that either. The only difference is that JT has outs against 66, AT, and QT.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com