Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Online visual tell?

Old
Online visual tell? - Sat Nov 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Hi Mods, if this is unsuitable for this forum then please move it but I'd like to gauge opinion from those with a HUD on a visual tell I think works for online players.

Anyone that has a scary picture as an avatar is usually a loose aggressive or maniac. Pics like the Joker from Batman or the Hellraiser guy etc.

Can you tell me do the pics match your stats? I'm just thinking I've never seen anyone with one of these pics that is a calling station but maybe I'm wrong. I'll try and track those at my tables who match this.

If the evidence is corroborated then you can use it a table before your HUD kicks in and gives you a bit of further information as to their play.

Old
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Interesting concept, i wonder if a players choice of name rather than image is of any particular importance when trying to get reads?

Old
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
(#3)
You won't get a read of my username as I'm not fat or Oval in shape My name is of my local footy teams football ground. Use of username would be language specific for many names.

I do however urge anyone with a table open to observe anyone with a scary avatar at their table. I'm sure they are loose aggressive at the very least.

Possible tell? I want corroborated evidence

Last edited by Ovalman; Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: added use of username...

Old
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Damn I think mine may give away what I like to play

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Old
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi great question oval, i dont use a hud. I feel that people who use software do miss a lot of visual tells.

Does a players name have meaning to their play?

Yes sometimes, but as you choose your name at the beggining you can not alter that where as you can learn how to play. Meaning for example a player calls them self big fish as a begginner, but then this player becomes great with learning, how ever this player is still called big fish.

I suppose the same can be said for pics, as changes are only aloud the once i think unles you apply to stars support to have them removed but must have valid reason as i did.

So in fairness it is safe to say that names and pics have little meaning.

However, important tells can be missed such as time tells, as hud users generally click there action and it switches to the next name when they multiplay, or either there attention is drawn away if tiled.

Also chat tells, people say things that sometimes give you a feel in to that persons frame of mind.

There is a few more tells to online poker, and some not so obvious tells.

Generally most games a coule of rotations of a table and im able to build up a quick visual in my head, knowing players locations etc etc all helps.

Percieved image is important from our own image to their image, and this helps us with our tells.

But in fairness I would not think to deep into it and stay more watching who does what and with what, as that is the rangeing we need.

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
(#6)
Wiltshireman is making the exact same point

Usually a name at micro stakes is trying to tell you something about the player. So as you say "BigFish, TopShark, ImAPro" as a name is a great indicataion of what their not. I use a lot of small things like this in my arsenal to give me an indication of the exact type of player they are. I've just realised that those with a scary pic are usually loose aggressive players and it's another weapon I have to get a feel for my opponents.

The biggest online tell tip I've found is before you join any game is look down the lobby and see who's multi tabling. Those who have 8+ are ABC rocks while those that have only 1 table are possibly (but not always) poor players. Those that have 4 - 8 tables are your most dangerous opponents. They usually are profitable and with only 4 tables they will be able to play their A game. I don't shy away from them but am always wary and I take a note that they are multi tablers and add in how many tables they are playing.

I'm pretty pleased with this visual tell. I'm playing 8+ years but I had a eureka moment spotting it. It's only another small cog in a giant wheel that will help my game

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
(#7)
First scary pic stat in 6 max cash limit: 69% VPiP, 25% PFR although only 0.5 Agg Factor. Only 29 hands before he went broke.

Edit, I'll not name any names just give their stats.

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
(#8)
I believe SOMETIMES this is true. I have seen many nonthreatening avys (bunnies, puppies, etc.) being pretty solid players imo, and many mean or theatening ones (sharks, evil clowns, etc.) to be pretty weak players in general (not just loose aggro mind you)
I don't generally play like someone with an empty nest egg though, so be careful what you read into handles. I do however play just like an eyeball so maybe more to the pic thing than meets the eye (pun intended)
good luck with your endevours. MT
ps my avy on another site (can't play on stars ) is bart simpson wrapped in tinfoil w/ a trashcan lid hat. it really has saved me from the "rigged" RNG..

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Last edited by mtnestegg; Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
my pic is a drunk....hiccup.....what does that tell ya

cheers all

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Reminds me of this classic blog by Daleroxxu:

http://www.daleroxxu.co.uk/2010/08/p...s-to-spot.html

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Nice Blog, but what about those players who don't show an image at all, i wonder what, if anything, they are trying to portray?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com