Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Hi

I want to enlist.
Tell me what to do.

Cheers

Old
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmankali View Post
Hi
I want to enlist.
Tell me what to do.
Cheers
Hi badmankali,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi badmankali,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hi

Thanks for the opportunity.
Do I need to attend this session? I have a good understanding of the basics of poker, and have played many hands for play money in different poker rooms.
I will surely post a replay for feedback, but could it be possible for me to move on to something a little more nitty gritty? Right now I want to become better at counting outs and odds.
I took the poker basics course quiz and completed it satisfyingly.

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 06:34 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
*Double post*

Last edited by badmankali; Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Double post

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Here is a few hands for feedback:

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Here I bust the opponent for bluffing. The reason I called him was because he didn't seem very aggresive at first and because he was in the position for a good bluff at the button. Any other leads?

Here I folded even though I had a pair of Aces. I suspected he had a set of 5s. Correct move?

Here I tried to scare people off from building a straight, which didn't work. I know my fold was good, but should I have folded earlier? There was also a possibility of a set, there was several indications of better hands.

This one made me so sorry. The raise was big, and I thought my flush possibility wasn't big enough, but I guessed wrong apparently. I could have won this pot with an Ace high flush.

I know there more than one hand here, if it's too much there's no need to comment them all but just those which need most reflection.

Thanks

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I'd also like feedback on this one particularly, it has been haunting me in my sleep.

I almost had it, would you attribute it to pure bad luck that he pulled the seven?

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:39 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmankali View Post
Do I need to attend this session?
Hi badmankali!

Yes, attending this or other sessions is a requirement, along with some other things that will be given to you later, when they are required.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi badmankali!

One key with poker is to not be results oriented. I want to be making the best decisions that I can, based on that point in time.

With K6, it's good to see a flop for free from the BB, as I would not want to put any $$ into the pot voluntarily with a bad hand.
The flop gives me second pair and the first opp leads out for 60% of the pot. Against a realistic opponent, second pair is basically always beat here, so I'm mucking it.
If I was in the hand on the turn, when I hit two pair and the first opp now makes a very small bet in relation to the pot, I am going to raise to my normal value bet size of 1/2 the size of the pot. I keep my bets standard, so that the opps are always gueesing as to the strength of my hand.
I will do the same on the river, make a 1/2 pot value bet. I have two pair, which could easily be the best hand and I want to get value from it. Making the 1/2 pot bet also makes calling a raise easier, because honestly with an A on the board, by making a very small lead bet, when the opp shoves a much larger number of chips, since they could easily have a higher two pair, I'm mucking here too.

With A9 from the BB, since I'm most likely going to have to play the rest of the hand out of position, I'm mucking it to a raise from the SB when there are three opps already in the pot with position on me. It's too marginal of a hand for me to be playing.
Flopping two pair, the opp that raised preflop leads out for a more than pot-sized bet. From a realistic opponent, this will almost always be a 5 or an ace with a better kicker and while I do have two pair, I'm beat either way, so I'm mucking.

With KQ from the BB, if I'm going to raise preflop, I need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. So, I either need to raise to 70 or check and see the flop for free.
The flop brings an underpair and another undercard. If I had made a standard raise preflop, then I would think about c-betting the flop (1/2 pot). Since it looks like most of the opponents are calling stations (players that will not fold), I'm not going to try and bluff them, so I'll check/fold.
The turn could have completed a straight and I still have nothing, so I will check/fold here also.
None of the opps in this hand could have a set with a 5. Trips is when a player has two matching cards on the board and one in their hand. A set is when a player has a pocket pair and one of that card on the board.

With A6 from the CO, I'm going to make a standard raise here, to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I don't want to limp behind and let someone that may have an A with a better kicker into the hand cheap and win a big pot off of me due to being outkicked.
The flop gives me the nut flush draw and the first opp leads out for 40 chips (just over 1/2 the pot). If the other opp does not stay in the hand, then I am not getting the correct odds to draw to my flush. I have to call 40 into a pot that will be 155 (25.8%). If the other opp stays (and is shown to be a calling station), then it would be 40 into 195 (20.5%). However, I have 9 outs to make my flush and possibly another 3 outs to an ace. This means that with each out being worth 2%, my hand is worth between 18% and 24%, which would make this a marginal fold. However, since I would have the nut flush, I'd be more likely to win extra chips off the opponent if I hit, so I would call the 40 here.
The other opp, instead of calling, now raises to 200 and the first opp calls. I now have to call 160 into a pot that will be 675 (23.7%). This also puts it into the marginal area for a call, but since I can now probably stack an opp if I hit the flush due to the pot being large enough, I'm going to call here.
The turn most likely gives someone a straight, so I now am reduced to 9 outs (18% hand equity) and the first opp shoves. For me to call, it's 941 into a pot that will be 2557 (36.8%). Since the pot equity is almost double what my hand equity is... I need to muck to this shove.

With QJ from the CO, I'm either going to make a standard raise or muck this preflop. Calling and allowing an opp to get into the hand with a hand that dominates me (either Q or J with better kicker) without calling a raise is something that I do not want to do. Doing this over time will cost me many larger pots. If I'm going to play the hand, I'll raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, which for here will be a raise to 7BB or 70.
The flop here is a great example of why I want to raise preflop. Yes, I hit trip Q, but there are two spades out there. I would normally like to bet enough so that anyone that is drawing to a flush has the wrong odds to draw, but in a 7-way pot, that is impossible if multiple opps want to call any bet. The best that I can do is to make a pot-sized bet here and see what happens. I do NOT want to make a large overbet to the size of the pot, because it turns my cards face-up to my opponents and they will know that I have a queen.
The hijack now check/min-raises me. This is most likely the other queen, but the problem here is that I have no clue whether my kicker is good enough. If I had raised preflop, then most of the Qx hands with lower kickers (the ones that I would beat) would have mucked, so then I would know that the opp most likely has a higher kicker and I'm beat. However, due to limping preflop, I now have to take a total chance and hope I'm ahead. Being in this type of situation is something that I try to avoid whenever possible, as I only want to be putting chips into a pot when I'm sure that I'm ahead in the hand and here there is no way to know that. Since the opp does not have many chips left after their raise (I would have just shoved then if I were them), I'm going to 3-bet them here and make them be all in now. If they do have a worse kicker than me, I don't want to let them see that they hit a 3-outer without paying the maximum to do so.
Unfortnately, I was ahead and was 3-outed on the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Super information, thanks for the feedback!

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
I followed all the Getting started sessions with HoRRoR77 today 12. november.

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi badmankali!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
When I try to pass tthe quiz, it says "You have already passed this quiz.". Because I have already passed it. (:

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi badmankali!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:41 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I attended all the training sessions yesterday, that included the bet sizing.

I have a hand from the play money lobby I'd like some feedback on (the buy-in still hasn't come)

At the river I end up having a trips, but I folded because I sensed someone probably had an ace on their hand when they raised. Should I have limped or is this just how it goes?

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi badmankali!

We'll look into what happened with the buy-in.

For the hand, 38 off is the second worst hand preflop in no-limit holdem. I would not ever call a bet with it. When I get dealt bad hands, I want to muck them and save my chips for when I get a real hand. Also, another thing that I do not want to be is to be results oriented. Once I muck my cards, I never want to look at a... what if.... I want to make the best decision at that point in time.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Okay,thanks for the advice.

And cool, I really want to get started with the real cash games soon, looking forward to it!

Old
Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:36 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Just a BUMP, where's my money?

EDIT:

Would you have called this?

Last edited by badmankali; Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Added replay

Old
Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
I got the buy in now and been playing for a little while now.

Was this a wise lay down?

I was thinking he probably had a king pair, but I was wondering why he re raised to such an amount. Probably a bluff, yes?

Old
Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
(#20)
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

KTo - definitely not calling that ever. Don't be results oriented at the tables, just because the flop comes 227 once in a rare while doesn't mean you should start playing 72o. Preflop I would raise coming in rather than limp as well (and fold to the subsequent reraising action).

Q3o - definitely a wise fold imo. The huge reraise doesn't look like a bluff to me, it looks like a king trying to "protect his hand" from all the draws on a wet board.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com