Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Later stages of tournaments

Old
Later stages of tournaments - Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Hello everyone,
I've been playing poker on/offline for 3 years.. I'm still only at the tender age of 21 and learnt a vast amount of poker due to this amazing website that has helped my game in so many ways I could not describe.

My question is i'm only a MTT player.. play buy-ins mostly 4$-20$ and sometimes a little bit more of a buy-in which for me comes in at a bigger risk.

Most of the time I can place really well most winnings is $500 personally in a 4th place $8k guaranteed prize pool, but with most of the other tournaments I can place well in the money but not as well as I think my ability could place me.
Mostly for me its regards with blinds and antes, the latter stages of tournaments blind increases becoming dramatic and for me fear can be involved obviously loosing my blinds with hands I'd usually play with but being over bet by a bully.
The reason I seem to fear is because of the big jumps in prize money especially from 20th to the final table.

Moral of the story is, in latter stages of tournaments is there any way to conquer your demons until you make that big money, because 90% of the time i'll buckle under the pressure and blinds, antes just eat my stack away..

Thank you in advance,
Aaron.

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
In the money I'm always aware of my own blinds and others. I rarely call all in but I do push them. Like it or hate it, coinflips are a MTT players life or death and can mean winning top prize or finishing last.

Get your chips in when you feel your in front. Never - or rarely call and push, push, push.

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Hi Aaron,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please check out what the site has to offer >HERE<.

With regard to your question, you can learn more about MTTs >HERE<.

Thank you for signing up to be a member at www.pokerschoolonline.com and good luck at the tables!

Lester

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Loveyy!

One thing that you may want to take a look at is how many times you're folding when in position (button or cutoff). Due to being in position and being able to use that to your advantage, I've been working more on being able to steal others blinds more often, than necessarily protecting mine.

When I'm in an mtt, my goals are to first get ITM, then to accumulate chips to get to the final table. After getting ITM, I'm always looking for spots, espeically in position, to accumulate chips. Yes, sometimes this will work against me when I lose a hand and I may lose out on being able to get a couple pay jumps, but the times that I'm able to get the +EV situations that I choose to play, to work... I'm going to make much more by making the deeper run.
What I don't want to do, however, is to get too aggressive and needlessly get involved in pots especailly out of position with marginal cards, where I could put myself at a disadvantage.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
First of all thank you for the quick responses.
In regards to the last comment, your obviously taking a big risk? With the fact it can be very hard to know what a certain players style is in a MTT since you can move tables quite alot.

That also leads to another question about MTT is there any quick solution on finding out a players play style? It's something that I haven't been able to adapt to fully yet!

Old
Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveyy View Post
That also leads to another question about MTT is there any quick solution on finding out a players play style? It's something that I haven't been able to adapt to fully yet!
In live play, the only way to figure out a player's style is to observe their play. In online poker, this can get pretty ominous as the number of players you will face obviously increases. A lot of players use software to track their own play as well as their opponents. You can watch this video to see how they work and decide if it's something you want to use.

Good luck at the tables!

Lester

Follow me on Twitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com