Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Did i play this right?

Old
Did i play this right? - Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
OK here is the hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hand
PokerStars Hand #89118198676: Tournament #636076253, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (150/300) - 2012/11/12 11:17:59 WET [2012/11/12 6:17:59 ET]
Table '636076253 872' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: jace de ace (900 in chips)
Seat 2: baud2death (11082 in chips)
Seat 3: GAMAUNOV-D (27495 in chips)
Seat 4: Vicky952 (18253 in chips)
Seat 5: VOVAN7777701 (16315 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: purplefield (10585 in chips)
Seat 8: idpokeit (3075 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: Farware (3460 in chips)
jace de ace: posts the ante 30
baud2death: posts the ante 30
GAMAUNOV-D: posts the ante 30
Vicky952: posts the ante 30
VOVAN7777701: posts the ante 30
purplefield: posts the ante 30
idpokeit: posts the ante 30
Farware: posts the ante 30
idpokeit: posts small blind 150
Farware: posts big blind 300
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to baud2death [Ah Ac]
jace de ace: folds
baud2death: raises 900 to 1200
GAMAUNOV-D: folds
Vicky952: folds
VOVAN7777701: folds
purplefield: folds
idpokeit: folds
Farware: calls 900
*** FLOP *** [8s 8c 6h]
Farware: checks
baud2death: bets 600
Farware: raises 900 to 1500
baud2death: raises 8352 to 9852 and is all-in
Farware: calls 730 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (7622) returned to baud2death
*** TURN *** [8s 8c 6h] [Tc]
*** RIVER *** [8s 8c 6h Tc] [Jh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Farware: shows [6d 6s] (a full house, Sixes full of Eights)
baud2death: shows [Ah Ac] (two pair, Aces and Eights)
Farware collected 7250 from pot
Firstly, i put this guy on being tight. My hud had him getting involved over 20+ hands at about 10-15% of the time.

I bet a nice 4BB, this late in i am hoping for some serious action and also to scare off any lower pairs from pulling out a set given the size of the bet. I can only see anyone calling me with AT+ and anyone playing back at me preflop has better.

Since we make it to the flop with 886 rainbow, i dismiss the 8 as being relevant, he came in for 1/3 of his stack on this bet and i doubt it was on[*][8] with how tight he plays, i am not worried about the full house with him having a pair of 6s here since he was only looking at calling $200 or so of a bet with those, getting involved at $1200 would just be a bit silly.

He could easily have an over pair at KK/QQ/JJ/TT or at the outside 99.

So when he plays at me I reckon he is gambling I dont have a better pair than him and looking to pickup the 2 Pair.

I beat anything he should have so i put him all in and he calls flipping over the 6s.

So in conclusion
*He played tight
*He was still above 10BB so not in Shove/Fold territory
*He didnt have the right odds to call my bet and put himself 1/3 in to have 66

All i can put it down to is that my read was wrong (he was tight but weak enough to think that 66s are worth getting involved with for 1/3 your stack).

If he had more chips and the same level of tight player came into the bet with 66s (say if he was on 20k) and that board came up, I could believe that it still wasnt K8, Q8 but perhaps 98 suited. I could believe that he had made a full house with a pair of 6s or a weaker two pair.

At this point if he played at me, I would be cautious of the full house and call his raise.

At the turn here i would see 3 things
1 : Blank
2 : An ace for me which depending on what he put me on might scare him
3 : Anything 9+ which if he put me on Top Pair would fill my stronger full house

I think this guy will act the same no matter what comes out where i would only have to worry about his reaction to that bet based on the results.

If the turn hits anything other than Ace im going to call anything token or check it down. The only way i could tell if he has the full house here is to go over the top of him and see what he does where its either a call (if a 9+ comes out and hes smart) or a re-raise possibly All-In if he thinks he has me beat regardless.

If i do play it to the river and miss my Ace, im still going to be cautious about the heavy betting and be happy to take down a good enough sized pot if he lets it go cheaply, otherwise depending on how strongly i feel he has the fullhouse, ill call his value bet on the river.

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum since the member has a ? on playing a tournament hand JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi baud2death,

Thanks for your thoughts, I think you're probably over thinking in a few spots.

Looking briefly at the opponents play. Calling a 4x raise with a 11BB stack is horrible. He should be folding or shoving.

Then looking at our play. I would rather you don't adjust your raise size based on having a strong hand. You definately shouldn't be trying to force people out of the pot no matter what they hold, AA is a big favourite vs everything. Yes having more people in the pot means you're less likely to win, but when you do win you'll be winning more. With your stack size you can more than afford to take the gamble.

Once the short stack calls our raise there is now 2790 in the pot and villan only has 2660 behind. With AA we should never really be folding at this point.

Your bet of 600 is less than quarter of the pot. It looks weak so we should expect someone people to play back. It also doesn't get us value when the villan calls and then folds to a scary turn or continued aggression.

On this flop I would just like a shove allin. If the guy was in exactly the same spot with 77 I would expect him to call so much of the time since it would look like a bully bluffing so often. A raiser wouldn't connect with that board very often.

Once you bet 600 and he basically moves in you have 2000 chips to call into a 8100 chips pot. We only need 25% equity to make this call.

We currently beat probably 90% of this guys range. Even 66 we still have 16% equity of making a better fullhouse with an A or 8.

Just get it in
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com