Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.10 MTT Exit Hand 2

Old
$1.10 MTT Exit Hand 2 - Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I wasn't sure this was worth posting, no subtle action here - but the more I have looked through my play in this tournament the more I am wondering about my final decision here. It seemed a simple decision to shove - and although the result is obviously bad, I am trying not to be results oriented and just think about the factors I should have taken account of before making the move.

I had been playing reasonably well so far in this tournament, had accumulated some chips and I was running about 350th at this point which was inside the bubble spots, which paid to 378th - and we were down to just under 500 left of 2,573 starters - I reckon I was better than 50/50 to cash without playing another hand - and any further chip accumulation would make it very likely. The opps seemed surprisingly good at this table - no maniacs - and there had been some good play and tight decisions from most opps that I could usually understand why they were making them when I saw showdowns.

When the table folds to me with a reasonable hand like 99 I thought my best option was to leverage my fold equity with 15BBs, mainly hoping to take the dead money uncontested very often.

I didn't want to fold a medium strength hand, or limp - so I felt a raise was best. But was the shove correct? I have 15BBs - post-bubble I think I will shove here most times - but maybe with only 100 to the bubble I should be more conservative.

Would a smaller more standard raise 2.2/2.5/3.0 x the BB have achieved the 'steal' when it was going to work anyway and left me room to fold to a 3-bet shove?

Am I likely to look as though I am stealing light and get called lighter by hands I am only a slight favourite to, like Ax/Kx/Qx broadways - or by very strong bigger pairs that I am a dog to?

The more I think about it the less convinced I am which was the best option.

It has crossed my mind that when so many players fold to me in the cut-off, it is more likely that the players behind in the button/blinds will have all the big cards - is this paranoid!

Any thoughts welcome.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi EdinFreeman,

I think a shove is fine. I definately think it's +EV shoving 15BBs here with 99.

Shoving should be your standard line here I think. If we raise 2. or 2.5x we don't really want to fold to a shove. When we get called we also have a bit of a bloated pot compared to our stack, but I think we would still have room to CBet and fold.

Reasons for diverging from a standard shove I think would be villan dependant, if the button and blinds were all very tight players VPIP < 12 perhaps then we have an option to raise and fold to a shove because when these guys wakeup and shove they are more likely to have 99 in bad shape. Even when we get a flat call this type of player again would be less likley to float a CBet.

I don't think trying to protect a min cash still over 120 players out from the bubble is a good reason to divert from a shove here, I think it costs us too much in chip EV.

Regardless of opponent a shove here is never wrong, and winning a flip or something in this spot gives you a good shot at running deeper.

Cheers
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com