Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Poker Books and IRC Channel

Old
Poker Books and IRC Channel - Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Hi there

I am looking for a few poker books to get started on. I have a good understanding of the basics, so I am looking for something a bit more in depth and not something like Poker for Dummies.

I have read the Brunson's Super System 1 & 2 are highly recommended, but I don't know which one to start with. I read that the first should be the bible, but that the second should be an updated version, while others says that the second doesn't get nowhere near the first?

I also thought of picking up Caro's Book of Poker Tells.

Other books I should check out?

And by the way, does anyone know of a good poker IRC channel for live poker support? Maybe PokerStars has one?

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#2)
I'm reading Sklanskys Theory of poker which has been incredibly helpful, but it might be a bit basic if you already understand the underlying concepts of the game. What type of poker do you play? SNG, CG, MTT?

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi badmankali,

I think Guyguyson has hit the nail on the head by asking what format you play. It is very difficult to make any recommendations without knowing this, as a useful SnG book would be no good if you are a cash game player.

Personally I play 6max cash games and have both volume 1 and 2 of 'easy game' by Andrew Seidman. These 2 volumes contain some of the best written text you can find for learning cash games imo. I definately recommend both of them if you are playing cash, particularly 6max.

Good luck at the tables.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I don't play neither of them right now, I have played a good bit of play money cash games and had a good bit of fun, both 9 and 6 tables. But I am still part of the bankroll builder, waiting for my first dollars to get started on.
I haven't thought in the terms you asked, I also think I need to look a bit at the definitions.

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
(#5)
If you are taking part in the bankroll builder promotion (where play has to be at the 9max tabes) I would still recommend reading easay game. The book is geared mainly towards 6max play, however it has essential ideas and thoeries that will be useful for any cash game player

GL

Oliver

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
(#6)
If you are taking part in the bankroll builder promotion (where play has to be at the 9max tabes) I would still recommend reading easay game. The book is geared mainly towards 6max play, however it has essential ideas and thoeries that will be useful for any cash game player

GL

Oliver

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Okay, thank you very much, will definitely check them out.

I heard about another book called "Play Poker, Quit Work and Sleep Till Noon". Ever heard of it? It's supposed to be old and a bit outdated like Super Strategy, but still worth gold.
Another mentioning I've seen is "Poker Strategy Winning with Game Theory".

EDIT:

Did I really just catch some links for PDFs of the real books?
Easy Game Vol. 1
Easy Game Vol. 2

Last edited by badmankali; Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Found links

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:14 PM
(#8)
If you understand expected value, position, pot odds, effective odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds and know when to call, raise, fold, semi-bluff, full-bluff and how to defend blinds, read the board, get a decent read on others via betting patterns etc then it really comes down to which format you feel suits you better. MTT - Multi-table tourny, SNG - Sit and go (Single table tourny), CG - Cash/ring game. There are tons of great books on each of these formats either covering them in full or covering them at certain stakes.

Old
Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time volumes 1 and 2

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Here's a couple - Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
(#10)
Ol Mud
(Mudcreek)
Since: Jun 2010
There have been a lot of books that have helped me.

JW's suggestion is one of those books.

Decide to Play Great Poker by Annie Duke was a real good read

The Poker Mindset by Matthew Hilger

Your Worst Poker Enemy by Alan Schoonmaker

These three books have helped me think like a poker player when it really counts.

Ol Mud

Last edited by Ol Mud; Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 03:01 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com