Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Slowplay or not?

Old
Slowplay or not? - Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
I have on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
SB and BB call.
The flop is . Both players check.
Can I slowplay here or should I just go ahead and bet?

Old
Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
Bet, with two clubs on the board and two other players in the pot you don't want to give anyone a free card.

Old
Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Beginner358!

I'd normally say no to slowplaying with a flush or straight draw available, but would need to know the stack sizes, type of table, any reads on the opp, etc... in order to make an informed decision.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
You want to slowplay when a free card has little to no chance of making your hand second best but a good chance of giving someone else a second best hand.

Old
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:30 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
My personal experience at the lower stakes is that slowplaying is bad. They either have a tendensee to call any draw or with an overcard. Or the fold if they don't hit.

I still believe most value is to be won to betting 2-3streets at least. And if draws came out be willing to check river and even fold if needed.
Not to mention if he hits his overcard. He's never going to fold. Just make sure you have the best hand at the river most of the time if you bet there again.

I think I never slowplayed a hand at microstakes yet. Cause they just call gutshots and so on on the turn. Or over call 4th pair (Pocket pair 44) on a 6QA rainbow board.

My approach in cashgames NL2

Old
Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
I would ALMOST never slow play that board against 2 opps. but what John says has validity.
make em pay for their draws is my advice in most all situations like this. future reactions by your opps. and the turn and river cards will dictate future bets and their size.

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 08:02 AM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2014
BronzeStar
I have on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
SB and BB call.
The flop is . Both players check.

Read more: Poker Assessment http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...#ixzz3CuhX5YlX

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 08:07 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2014
BronzeStar
I have Qc10c on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
SB and BB call.
The flop is Qh8h2d. Both players check.

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 08:55 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddencloud View Post
I have Qc10c on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
SB and BB call.
The flop is Qh8h2d. Both players check.
With flush and straight draws out there along with an A or K that can hit on the turn and 2 opps.. I'm betting 2/3 pot.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 10, 2014, 10:39 AM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Keeping in mind we are totally readless as it's a generic question without even the stakes given...

Hand 1 is a clear value bet, and it's not even close.

Hand 2 is less clear... I would like to have some top pair combos in my flop check back range generally, and this hand could qualify as I'd generally be betting most of my AQ/KQ combos or value. In microstakes I would tend to just bet mostly though as they'll call with so many worse/bad hands.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com