Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Help with building a poker library.

Old
Help with building a poker library. - Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Trying to build a collection of poker books and need some advice. So far I plan to eventually read (in order):

Theory of Poker
Small Stakes Hold'em
No limit Hold'em Theory and Practice
Hold'em for Advanced Players
Caros Book of Poker Tells
Playing the Player/How to Read Hands - (Think these both cover the same ground but playing the player is newer?)

Mostly trying to build a decent understanding of poker and then work on my cash game play so i'm looking for advice on which other books I should get and if there are any in the list that aren't worth getting.

Thanks.

Old
Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
The poker mindset.
All about how your mentality and stuff must be. Really helped my game out! I rarely ever tilt

If you don't read this book... you not smart

Old
Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
try playing 1 or 2 tables , and watching the players.there maybe 25 players in the world who can play 25 tables and win. as far as i can see its all about playing the player and trying to put them on what they are doing , and after u learn how to play basic poker its all about playing the player. read all u want in the end its 52 cards played by people.

Old
Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
I agree very much with your view, once you have the basics, playing is much more a learning experience than just reading books about it. My approach is to review a video on the game im concentrating on,befor playing, and then try to apply those principles to my game. If it doesnt work for me, i go back and revise the video's in the PSO library.Im working on spacegravy's vids at the moment, follow his advice and usually end the session in profit.

Old
Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time vol 1-2

These should be mantatory reading for anyone that would want to play tourneys and get to be a better tourney player.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Small stakes hold'em and Theory and practice are good books but not for beginners, so during your learn the basics phase I'd keep those on the shelf. Also add Professional No Limit Hold'em Volume 1 to that shelf, by Ed Miller, Matt Flynn, and Sunny Mehta... a must have for NLHE cash game players imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2012
Thanks for the advice. Mostly reading Theory of poker, attending lessons and watching videos on this site at the moment until I get a firm grasp on the basics. I'll add Professional No Limit Hold'em and The Poker Mindset to the list for future reading.

Not really that interested in MTTs at the moment but planned on reading a few in the future if things go well so i'll keep Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time vol 1-2 in mind.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:06 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2011
my advice:

the mental game of poker
don't listen to phil hellmut by dusty schmidt
easy game 1 and 2 by andrew seidman (cash games)
the books by tri nguyen
hole card confession and pokermath that matters by owen gaines
tournement poker and the art of war
winning poker tournements one hand at a time

the trouble with the older books is that they mostley relate to limit holdem for the cash games that is, also the theorie of poker is a great book but tough to get through. pokermath that matters is very easy to read.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com