Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

How often do you play speculative hands from UTG in a 9max Cashgame

Old
How often do you play speculative hands from UTG in a 9max Cashgame - Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
hi,

in general I fold hands like T9s from UTG in a 9 handed cashgame. Is this correct or should I play those kind of hands at times?

cheers

Old
Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
as a new player, never would be a good plan.
just too many left to act after you, and if called, you'll be playing the rest of the hand (a weak or marginal hand in most instances) out of position.
and if raised from behind, you'll be mucking, and will have just leaked money away.

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Thu Nov 22, 2012, 06:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
As a beginner, the answer is NEVER. Opening suited connectors like T9s in EP is not a profitable expectation. Even Tom Dwan would have trouble making money with T9s UTG. I recommend you auto-fold T9s and lower in every seat except the button when there are a couple of players already in the pot, or if it's folded around to you and you want to try stealing the blinds.
Playing suited connectors out of position is really tricky, so you should almost always be dumping them pre-flop.

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
i agree that as a beginner the answer is never. but..when you get more experianced and you have good reads on the other players and if you have very weak players in the blinds..then the answer is sometimes.

as with everything in poker, it depends..sometimes the conditions are right and you can open a suited connector from utg. and tom dwann does open those hands in certan cercomstances

but i agree that suited connectors are very difficult to play out of position, so for now i would advice you to fold those hands in early position

gl at the tables

Old
Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi beginner358, full ring games require great discipline.

Playing speculative hands in any early or even middle position
is a recipe for disaster.

And I would not just say this as for beginnners but to all.

There are a few exceptions an example would be UTG in a tourney with a low stack and close to be blinded out.

T9 for example may be better to push on that than wait for another BB that could deliver a worse hand that you would be forced to push on.

This also may make it an +ev play if you got multiple callers or just a chance to steal the blinds but most unlikely as large stacks would call with far less than T9 if its only a fraction of their stack to call.

This would be one exception and there are a few more exeptions.

However, UTG should never open limp, if your hand is not strong enough to raise then dont bother with it.

When i first started to play poker I had a NIT approach to the game, and played hands based on a clock system I had thought off.

Imagine UTG as 1 o'clock on a 9 hour clock

At 1 o,clock im only playing aces,kings,queens,

At 2 o;clock im only playing aces,kings,queens,aks

At 3 o'clock im playing aces,kings,queens,jj,aks,

and so on...

Im not saying to use this exact, but for a beginner this is a good way to start using hand selection.

And as you advance you will be able to open up your earlier range slightly, but never UTG open limps or playing hands hoping we hit when often we will be folding to 3 bets and 4 bets preflop.

Last edited by holdemace486; Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: edit

Old
Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Beginner358

I agree with the others. Just fold speculative hands utg in full ring games. I open with AQ+ and 88+ at micro stakes.

Speculative hands work best when four conditions are in place:
1. You are in late position (btn or co)
2. Two or more players are already in the pot
3. The opponents and you have deep stacks (100bb)
4. You are fairly confident that you will get to see the flop cheaply, meaning limping or calling a normal 3x raise.

Also, remember that speculative hands means suited connectors and Axs. Axo and suited gappers are best to just fold in these spots.

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
in harrinton on cash games he says u need to play these hands from EP some times so people cant just call with there 33 thinking u have a huge hand and are going to get paid when they hit a set

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
At an aggressive table or a tight passive table, almost never is good. At a loose, passive table they are playable with caution.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com