Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Evening everyone.

I am not new to PokerStars - I've been playing at .net games for a little over a year now. But today was the first day I downloaded .com games for real money.

I have yet to make a deposit, although I have earned about $7.80 through the Open League and freerolls. I've completed several of the courses (although not all of them) already. Do I still qualify for this promotion?

If yes, what is my next step?

Thank you all.

Old
Fri Nov 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, please practice on the play money NL 9-max tables (full ring) and please post a hand that you were not sure about using the hand replayer. Here is a video tutorial on how to use the hand replayer.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 23, 2012, 05:35 PM
(#3)
I'll try to attend tomorrow morning's session.

Here's a hand I'm unsure of.

Villain 8 was shoving 90% of hands with any 2 cards in any position. Was this still the correct play for me?

Old
Fri Nov 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

With AK, I'm going to make my standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 10. I then get call, call, min-raise, call, shove behind me.
I have to put 184 chips into a pot that will be 447 (41.2%).

I now need to go to pokerstove and see if my hand has this much equity. If the opp truely is playing 90% of hands, this will be crucial infomation, as it will determine the range that I need to put into pokerstove for the opp. If I just get the one opp with that range, my hand is worth 65.2%, which would make this an easy call.... however.... there are other factors.

1) Is this the correct range? If so, then I'm fine calling, as it is a large +EV play to call.

2) What if another opp calls? If I use 90% for villain 8 and say a top 15% hand for another opp if they call, then my hand equity goes down to 43.4%, which would make this a marginal call.

3) if there are more than 1 additional caller, then my equity will go down even farther, making the play a fold.

The key here is a read on the opps left to act. If none or 1 opp stays, then I want to call against a very loose opp that shoves here. If multiple would stay, then I need to muck my AK here as I don't have the correct odds to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
(#5)
Thanks very much for the reply. I should have realized with how loose they were that at least one of them was going to call. I'll keep that in mind.

I have another hand where things went better, but I'm unsure of how I did:

I limped with 9-8s on the button because of the large pot, and because the blinds had a tendency to be passive. I was originally planning on folding to any bet if I didn't get the draw, but I thought that with this dry flop and checks around the board, I could take a stab at it. I slowed down at the turn because I was scared of a possible flush. Villain_1 was quite loose, but occasionally got aggressive. Most of the other players were more passive.

The only thing I'm unsure of in this hand was my check on the river. Was it the right move?

Last edited by Christxof; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
(#6)
I attended the "Getting Started with PokerStars" training session. What shall I do, now?

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 03:50 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

With 89s on the button, my play here will depend on the opps. If I think that any of them would fold, then I'll make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I'll be in position and 89s plays much better against fewer opps, as it would be easier to use my position against the opps.
If the opps are going to all be calling stations, I'm going to fold it. If I hit an 8 or 9, I could easily have the 2nd best hand, which could lose me a large pot. Same for if I get a flush.

The flop gives me two pair and here is why I'd rather raise or fold preflop. If any of the opps have a flush draw and they all stay, I cannot price them out as they will always get the correct odds to draw. I also have absolutely no clue as to whether I have the best hand or not. If I have the best hand, I want to bet, if I don't, I want to check.
With no info on any of the opps, I'm going to make one pot-sized bet here (price out as many opps as possible from drawing), get value from my two pair and to see how the opps react.

I see the turn heads up, but very easily could be behind in the hand and the turn completes the flush. Here, when the opp checks to me, I need to make a 1/2 pot bet. This is so that if the opp has a single diamond, they do not get a free card to draw to beat me. If they do only have a single diamond and call a 1/2 pot bet, then they will be making a -EV play (a play where they will lose chips on average, each and every time they call). If the opp raises me, then it's an easy fold and if the opp calls, I'll hope to get to check behind and get to showdown.

The turn is an overcard that could complete a gutshot straight. If I bet the turn, then I'm checking behind to get to showdown, as my hand does have showdown value. By not betting the turn, I want to make a 1/2 pot value bet here (and fold to a raise).

When I'm in a hand with either a bad, marginal or monster hand, I want to play all of these combinations the same way. This way, my bets are not tells to the opponent by which I tell them whether I have a strong hand or not... and they can then react accordingly. I always want to keep them guessing.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:18 PM
(#9)
Thank you, JWK. I already passed that quiz quite a while ago. I will wait for further instructions.

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
(#11)
I already attended the Bet Sizing training session this morning. I will be playing some full ring tables tonight. I will update with some hands in this thread later.

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
(#12)
Here's a hand that went well for me to be analyzed.

Didn't really have any reads for this one.

Here's another one on a different table that didn't go so well:

Only reads were that Villain_1 was playing tight, and villain_9 was VERY loose. But neither was relevant in this hand.

Any tips for either one?

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Christxof

First hand AJs: You played this hand nicely
You bet sizing was good all on all streets, perhaps a bit heavy on the turn, but you had him all set up to get the rest of his stack on the river. Nice hand and nice pot! Keep it up

Second hand AQs: You played this hand fine too.
Preflop you are in a very early position facing an utg raise. Folding or raising are both fine here. You raised and your raise size was perfect. When the villain calls you need to put them on a range of hands. Typically, we can assume they have a pocket pair or a strong Ax in these spots.

The flop is just low cards. You were the aggressor preflop, so cbetting is fine. Again, your bet size was standard. When you get called here we have to assume that the villain is ahead and not planning on folding.

The turn is a K, if we knew more about the villain and how he played AK hands, then we would better know if this card helped him or scared him. As is, we have tried twice to win the pot with a raise only to get called. I'm check-folding the rest of the hand which is exactly what you did.

Never make a hero call on the river hoping your opponent is bluffing. River bets at this level are normally value bets, not bluffs. Good fold! We can't win them all, but you played the hand nicely! Keep up the good work

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
(#14)
Thanks for the analysis, Roland! BTW, I love the game your avatar is from.

Just a quick question - on top of my awarded $2.00 through this promotion, I did have a bit of a bankroll that I acquired through various freeroll games. I was wondering if it would therefore be okay for me to play a different game with that money, as it wasn't part of the bankroll builder promotion award.

If it isn't okay, please let me know ASAP.

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

I'd hold off on the others until you're done with this promotion.... because vpp's are a way to obtain the last two buy-ins and they can only be from these 2NL games.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
(#16)
Alright, thank you John. I'll make sure to avoid other games for now.

I should also mention that I've already done the tasks you've set for me (including attending the bet-sizing training), and so I am still waiting for your next instructions.

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

Please keep playing with the buy-in and let us know if you lose it. If so, please post the hand where it happened at.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
(#18)
Alright, John.

I did not lose the buy-in, and in fact have made about $0.50 off of it so far. But I did ALMOST lose it. I did not save the hand, however - I 8-bet with AK against a guy with pocket Aces, because I thought he was playing poorly and loosely. I should have realized that it was the first hand he had raised with.

I lost 3/4 of my stack, but got part of it back later that evening.

I will continue playing tonight, and post some more hands I had.

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
(#19)
I actually have three more hands from tonight that I would like analyzed.

All of these were at the same table.

Hand 1:

Most of the table was loose-passive. The only one who ever got aggressive was Villain_2, who would make a standard pre-flop raise about once every 20 hands or so. Villain_2 also had a habit of min-betting post-flop if it was checked around to him.

In this hand, was my turn bet too large?

Hand 2:

Same as before. I was reading the table as being weak, and I saw the min-bet as also being weak. That's what lead to my check-raise bluff. Was it a good move, or too much for these limits?

Hand 3:

This was different, in that Villain_1 had only recently joined, and this was one of the first hands he played in. I think I made a good fold, but I'm wondering if I should have made my continuation bet on the flop smaller, or if I should have just checked because of the number of people in the pot. Was it correct?

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:55 AM
(#20)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Christxof

Baldur's Gate is my all time favorite! If you ever meet me at the table, just remember Red Wizards are Evil

First hand AJs: You played this hand well. Raising preflop and on a good drawing flop for you was perfect, and your bet sizing looked good too.

You got your nut flush on the turn, but notice that the board paired as well. You might be facing a full house. I would have bet a bit smaller, between 30% of the pot and 50%. This might be small enough to keep any second best hands in the pot while simoultaneously keeping the pot under control in case you get a big reraise in your face. Your bet size was a little large. This might have cost you some extra value, but all in all you played the hand nicely.

Second hand 33: Personally, I would have folded preflop. From your position 66+ would be the lowest I would open with. Others do open with low pairs though. I was happy to see you opened with a raise rather than limping either way.

The flop was pretty scary. Remember, scary flops for you are often scary flops for your opponents as well. I agree the min raise looked weak in this spot. I might have reraised to 10 rather than 12. If the opps don't have a hand, they will fold to pretty much any bet size. If they do have a diamond, then they are going to have you beat. Your check-raise line looked super strong. Nice aggressive line!

Note, that had your bet gotten called, or reraised, you need to shut down and check fold the rest of the hand. Even if a fourth diamond comes, having a flush with a 3 isn't beating much.

Third hand JJ: Preflop looks great. The flop has two overcards that fit the villains' ranges and you are in a multiway pot. Both points lean toward checking, but everyone has been passive, which leans toward a c-bet. I think both lines are playable, however your bet size was a bit heavy. C-betting 50% of the pot is standard.

After getting called on the flop, check-folding the rest of the hand was your best option. Normally, when passive players make large bets on the turn or river, they have a strong hand.

You played all three hands pretty well, good job! Keep working on your reads and bet sizes.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com